Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regardless of who wins i hope the loser tries to start a rebellion to forcibly depose the winner because it would be one step closer to fracturing the united states. the states where all the nukes are are not the states you would want to have access to nukes, so maybe everyone will die in nuclear fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Sheep-Goats posted:

His background was in sports statistics and especially in that field it's seen as important to kind of make your prediction model "dumb" in that it just looks at numbers and goes by that. It's hard to explain what I mean exactly but sports guys had for a long time relied on this kind of human generated decision processes and humans always find too much "pattern" when they look at something, which meant when Moneyball type stuff started being done broadly and in earnest the biggest advancements were made in areas that this caused errors in, eg, where being smart lead to being wrong. Silver in general makes a huge effort to audit his own methods and intake so that would lead to him being stubborn about "dumbness" I think.

It's a complicated field and there are reasons to approach things from both ways.

I don't disagree, especially because I've seen so many sports journalists spin coincidences into narratives: that LeBron James lacked some instinct that Michael Jordan had, instead of just James running up against some very good teams.

The problem now is more that people have started to accept Silver uncritically. His model is good, but it doesn't account for everything, and it is just one model.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Gobblecoque posted:

Bruce Campbell.

I'm not gay, but I'd swallow his soul.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nate said the popular vote distributions would get narrower toward the election but I'm p sure they haven't

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nate said the lawyer and career politician would beat the silver spoon showman and it's happening!!! Whoda thought

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
trump is taking millions of dollars from rubes and funneling it into his own companies so even if he loses he wins.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rhix posted:

trump is taking millions of dollars from rubes and funneling it into his own companies so even if he loses he wins.

And he'll take a tax break as well.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I mean touring the country like a rock star, making millions off dummies and then getting to chill in his tower while Hillary cleans up the mess this election is making. Trump's got it all figured out.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Not Sure. Guy's test says he's the smartest guy in the world.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary Clinton will be the legitimately saddest example of the lowest our "democracy" has sunk to. :smith:

I fear for my daughter's future growing up in a kleptocracy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not allowed to tell you to kill yourself, so instead you should kill your daughter and then move to canada.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
loving dumb people always have kids,

so many kids

a HRRRER dumb *plops out nine kids*

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which candidate said Cucky pizzone ?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Raytheon

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

How can you get to that level and not know that the word "overqualified" is never a good way to describe yourself?

Democrats.

Absolute best case scenario is Hillary wins but dies before she can take office. That way she will have been elected to be the first woman president, but that dream will never truly be fulfilled. This way will produce the most tears and also Pence won't be president. Unfortunately, I bet Kaine will be.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Rhix posted:

hows he doing this legally? i mean it's not like trump is some hotel chain thats located everywhere

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Gazpacho posted:

hows he doing this legally? i mean it's not like trump is some hotel chain thats located everywhere

Trump the business loans Trump the campaign money (back when he said he wasn't taking donations), and then Trump the campaign starts paying back that loan now that he is taking donations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Frankenstyle posted:

Trump the business loans Trump the campaign money (back when he said he wasn't taking donations), and then Trump the campaign starts paying back that loan now that he is taking donations.

Claims the interest as a business expense and gets a tax break.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

VendaGoat posted:

Claims the interest as a business expense and gets a tax break.

All he seems to do is move his business money to fund his lifestyle, and then let the business go under, declare bankrupt, and claim the losses as tax write-offs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grymwulf posted:

All he seems to do is move his business money to fund his lifestyle, and then let the business go under, declare bankrupt, and claim the losses as tax write-offs

To be fair he basically does what Mitt Romney did for a living, except to his own companies. Not sure if that makes it smarter or more retarded

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It's Hillary Clinton's TURN guys!!! But don't forget, a Bush gets the next turn. And Chelsea Clinton gets the turn after that.

It's their rights by birth.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Trump doesn't have the women vote, hispanic vote, black vote, but he does have the rich and dumb white male vote.

could be worse.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

grymwulf posted:

but how does he make money in the first place?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I am..developing a theory. Get this: liberals don't like Donald Trump!! I think I'm on to something here...

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think anybody likes Donald Trump...

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Gamer With Dignity posted:

The Blacks like Trump.

You know, Bob and Margaret Black from Sanford, Florida.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/791005980549087232

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Rutibex posted:

but how does he make money in the first place?
he doesn't, his kids do

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Gamer With Dignity posted:

I don't think anybody likes Hillary Clinton either yet here we are.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Democracy has made us weak. IMO whoever overthrows the president should get to be the next president. It worked for the Romans and it would work for us.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hope white people lose.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Shneak posted:

I hope white people lose.

I'd say we've had a good run, but that would be a lie.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm an election chairperson in Michigan, according to the instructions I got from the clerk I finally found out that we don't even count write ins that weren't approved by the election commission in advance. So I don't have to put in any work counting all the Bernie write-ins or whatever other nonsense people barf out into that empty spot on the ballot.

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.
you are, op. we all got together and decided to write you in. surprise!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

grymwulf posted:

I'm guessing this is a rhetorical statement.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was already a registered voter when i was 17 even though i never registered. go america

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think the woman will win, or maybe the man

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
More like nate bronze

Gnisho
Aug 8, 2004

No matter who is elected, America loses. Not even the vultures will have cause to celebrate for long.

[after playing out all possible outcomes for Global Thermonuclear War]
Joshua: Greetings, Professor Falken.
Stephen Falken: Hello, Joshua.
Joshua: A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

Gay Horney posted:

More like nate bronze

well played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Hillary Climpton