Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
Ever since what I like to call the Summer Shitstorm of 2016, where a lot of poo poo from shootings to tensions between races happened over the course of 3-4 months, I've had this thought about some people wish death/really lovely things in general onto other people. I don't mean anyone specific, however. I mean in general, there are a lot of people out there who believe certain types of human beings are inferior to another certain type of human being. Y'know, like how racist think their race is superior and others are inferior.

It got me to think about the idea of seeing people as people, and seeing people as human beings, which I believe are two different things.

If you see an individual as a person, you see them in the context of society. You take into consideration their thoughts, beliefs, feelings, interests, etc.

If you see an individual as a human, however, you see them in the context as a member of the human race outside of society. That is to say, you see them as an animal of sorts.

Furthermore, I don't think it logically makes sense to not respect someone as a human being. Sure there are lovely people in the world that do horrible things, but should they be killed for what they do? Does doing what they do/did justify the idea of murdering them as a form of punishment?

Personally, I don't think so.

Mainly due to the fact that violence doesn't really solve any problem of any kind (at the risk of sounding like an after school PSA protagonist), and that logically speaking, there's no legitimate reason or facts that state what type of people should live or die.

That being said, it makes more sense to not respect someone as a person, because it's usually based on what they are as a person: if they're annoying, do horrible things all the time or just a lovely person altogether. Even then, however, if you hate someone as person, you don't want them to die, because even if you think they're a bad person, it doesn't really make sense to wish death (or something that's as equally lovely), because there's no true or false way to be a human being, if that makes sense. Granted, there are ways to be considered a good or bad person, but humans, in the context of the species in of itself, are inherently neutral.

There are no "good or bad" human beings, just "good or bad" people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

PortalFreak posted:

Ever since what I like to call the Summer Shitstorm of 2016, where a lot of poo poo from shootings to tensions between races happened over the course of 3-4 months,

Lurk more. (Not this forum, I meant on Earth. It wasn't a particularly tense three months.)

Anyways, some say that you can only view about 150 humans as people. http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.

Phyzzle posted:

Lurk more. (Not this forum, I meant on Earth. It wasn't a particularly tense three months.)

To me it kinda felt like everything that happened over those few months happened back to back. And yeah, now that I think of it, maybe "tensions" wasn't the right word to describe it, but I would still consider the whole ordeal a shitstorm.

• Locked thread