Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The only comfort I'm taking out of this election is that Massachusetts voted to legalize recreational weed :350:

until the new and improved trump-brand DEA comes in and says 'lol no'

remember that the islamic shock himself had to rule by decree and tell the DEA to stop loving around with medical MJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Goddamn guys I honest to God thought the hate for Clinton was just a thing that had no real merit.

She is no poo poo hated upon by a lot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My goal for this election was for dems to get at least the house, senate, or presidency, and no more.

I wanted the GOP to fail hard so they could have time to reflect on some social issues as a whole. It is way easier to talk to people from within for change when failure like that happens.

Instead we got this and I really wonder how the party platforms are going to change.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Goddamn guys I honest to God thought the hate for Clinton was just a thing that had no real merit.

Relevant article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/donald-trump-white-house-hillary-clinton-liberals

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah i dont see at all how the DEA doesn't go hog loving wild on weed now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I didn't like her since the 90s, thanks to my republican parents. I didn't vote for her in the 2008 primary, and I didn't vote in the 2016 primary. I did vote for her in the general because I'm not a loving moron but I totally 100% get the hate.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Vasudus posted:

until the new and improved trump-brand DEA comes in and says 'lol no'

remember that the islamic shock himself had to rule by decree and tell the DEA to stop loving around with medical MJ

Until that happens I plan on spending as much time as possible stoned.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Third World Reggin posted:

My goal for this election was for dems to get at least the house, senate, or presidency, and no more.

I wanted the GOP to fail hard so they could have time to reflect on some social issues as a whole. It is way easier to talk to people from within for change when failure like that happens.

Instead we got this and I really wonder how the party platforms are going to change.

Politics are so polarized now that this election was make or break for either party. Unfortunately for us, it was the democrats that broke.

I can tell you what though, the next winning democratic president won't ignore a huge swath of the voting electorate.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the vast right wing conspiracy quote is extra hilarious now

quote:

Thatcher-era Britain produced its own crop of paranoid left-liberal films. ... All posited a vast right-wing conspiracy propping up a reactionary government ruthlessly crushing all efforts at opposition under the guise of parliamentary democracy.

who knew paranoid delusions of a vast left wing conspiracy with her at the head would bring her down

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

With how fractured the GOP primary was, it really just seemed that the democrats had everything in line. Comparatively.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

These people have happily voted for policies actively harmful to themselves for decades. What in the world makes you think theyre going to stop now.

I don't disagree with your assesment, you're completely right and I'm more than likely going to be wrong, but it would be the one thing that would immediately affect about 20 million people. It'd almost (but not quite) be on the same level of just scraping Medicare or Medicaid overnight just because.

It's not something like effective tax rates or slashing SNAP funding over five years which is delayed and people ignore because they don't feel the pinch right away. Time will tell.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My brother texted me right after the results. He's far more conservative than I am, and in my defense of Clinton I said "it was never about Clinton. It was about holding steady and maybe going forward an inch."

A few minutes later is when I made sense of that statement. That's a large part of why she lost. Because a lot of us were completely fine with status quo while everyone else was mad as hell for reasons I didn't entirely get. Their story wasn't mine and it didn't make sense.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Pretty interesting read:

https://samkriss.com/2016/11/09/how-you-lost-the-world/

quote:

Clinton all but outrightly told vast swathes of the American working classes that they were irrelevant, that she didn’t need them and they would be left behind by history, and then expected them to vote for her anyway. Clinton was playing at politics; it was a big and important game, but it could be fun too; it was entertainment, it was a play of personalities. Her campaign tried to reproduce the broad 500-channel swathe of TV: an intrigue-riddled prestige drama and a music video and the 24-hour news; they forgot that trashy reality shows always get the highest ratings.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't disagree with your assesment, you're completely right and I'm more than likely going to be wrong, but it would be the one thing that would immediately affect about 20 million people. It'd almost (but not quite) be on the same level of just scraping Medicare or Medicaid overnight just because.

It's not something like effective tax rates or slashing SNAP funding over five years which is delayed and people ignore because they don't feel the pinch right away. Time will tell.

I really don't think anyone is seriously going to consider the ramifications. The GOP base wants Obamacare gone and they want it gone now. That there is going to be hilariously bad consequences over it is not a concern, especially since so many others won't face them. This is why John Roberts saved the ACA; he didn't want the court to be the GOP's hatchet man.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Guys, what if Trump appoints his sister to the supreme court? She was originally appointed by Bill Clinton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryanne_Trump_Barry

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 10, 2016

bengy81
May 8, 2010

My brother texted me right after the results. He's far more conservative than I am, and in my defense of Clinton I said "it was never about Clinton. It was about holding steady and maybe going forward an inch."

A few minutes later is when I made sense of that statement. That's a large part of why she lost. Because a lot of us were completely fine with status quo while everyone else was mad as hell for reasons I didn't entirely get. Their story wasn't mine and it didn't make sense.

That's the real post-mortem takeaway for both parties IMO.

I hope that the DNC can come up with somebody more compelling, but I get worried that the more youthful members of the party are just going to scream about racism and misogyny, which are problems, but aren't the whole problem, but they make convenient scapegoats.

The GOP needs to do some soul searching, but I have a feeling that when everybody bends the knee to the gold and orange they are gonna forget how far they have sunk, and we are going to have more of the circus freak sideshow poo poo we've had for the last few election cycles. TED CRUZ 2.0 FOLKS!!!!

Maybe the 3rd parties will come up with more compelling candidates and throw some (bigger) money behind down tickets races in the future, but lol, that's not gonna happen. Green Party especially needs to think about changing their message, because pandering to the far left with their anti-vax and whole health bullshit is completely off message from where they were 20 years ago, and they could pick up momentum by focusing more on environmental policy when the R's have gone and hosed things up so bad that Florida and California sink into the ocean.

EDIT: JESUS CHRIST THE FORMATTING :stare:

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 10, 2016

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Nothing's going to improve for the trumpenproles. I don't dispute that the democrats royally screwed the pooch by completely ignoring them but manufacturing isn't coming back and the coal fetish isn't going to materialize into anything because who the gently caress is going to build new infrastructure in the USA in 2016 lol.

I hope malignant gridlock keeps anything too stupid from happening internally and maybe the isolationist streak saves us some cash that would otherwise be burned in worthless toilets like the Middle East. We'll probably bomb Iran and I'm sure we're collectively stupid enough to invade it but I don't see the latter happening.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potential BFF posted:

Nothing's going to improve for the trumpenproles.

Would 922(o) repeal count?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Potential BFF posted:

Nothing's going to improve for the trumpenproles. I don't dispute that the democrats royally screwed the pooch by completely ignoring them but manufacturing isn't coming back and the coal fetish isn't going to materialize into anything because who the gently caress is going to build new infrastructure in the USA in 2016 lol.

I hope malignant gridlock keeps anything too stupid from happening internally and maybe the isolationist streak saves us some cash that would otherwise be burned in worthless toilets like the Middle East. We'll probably bomb Iran and I'm sure we're collectively stupid enough to invade it but I don't see the latter happening.

Man, if the government just comes in and fixes some god drat roads and bridges and maybe creates some decent paying construction jobs in the rust belt it would be a start.

As it is now, the left looks at them, rightly figures that the old economic model is dead, and they've shrugged and walked away.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Man, if the government just comes in and fixes some god drat roads and bridges and maybe creates some decent paying construction jobs in the rust belt it would be a start.

As it is now, the left looks at them, rightly figures that the old economic model is dead, and they've shrugged and walked away.

Are you delusional? The 'left', as it were, consistently proposes infrastructure projects that are killed by Republicans who insist that government spending is an intrusion on our collective freedoms.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Would 922(o) repeal count?

I'd be pretty jazzed with a bunch of dumbfuck ATF regulations disappearing myself. I don't know if it would be an improvement for the despairing poor unless Keltec begins making GBS threads out $300 polymer MGs (they would).

VikingSkull posted:

Yea, no one's going to spend any appreciable amount of money on infrastructure and if they do I will be utterly amazed and pretty pleased. I don't disagree with your second point.

bij fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are you delusional? The 'left', as it were, consistently proposes infrastructure projects that are killed by Republicans who insist that government spending is an intrusion on our collective freedoms.

it's almost as if the brick that got tossed passed through two windows here

wonder why

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Lol, the funny thing is Mike Pence is a piece of poo poo that sold Indiana's highways. Pretty easy to balance a state budget when you sell off the loving infrastructure. I realize Mike Pence isn't president but I have to drive an extra 10 minutes there and back to get gently caress loving groceries or take a loving toll road. And I live in the loving boonies where it took a loving year to get god drat internet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love when that article says the word fascist is simple and accurate, unless you try to define the drat thing.

I do wonder how hillary feels though with so many people upset with her.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potential BFF posted:

I'd be pretty jazzed with a bunch of dumbfuck ATF regulations disappearing myself. I don't know if it would be an improvement for the despairing poor unless Keltec begins making GBS threads out $300 polymer MGs (they would).
Yeah I mean might as well find some good out of all of this.

Also I'm sure HI Point would make a $125 FA carbine for the even worse off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I really like this article.

Third World Reggin posted:

With how fractured the GOP primary was, it really just seemed that the democrats had everything in line. Comparatively.

This was a mega-combo of Hardcore Republicans, anti-Clintonians, and nukers of the establishment.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/796511855959310336

Read his previous tweets in his thread and a couple afterwards as well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Godholio posted:

I really like this article.

This was a mega-combo of Hardcore Republicans, anti-Clintonians, and nukers of the establishment.

I knew I liked it when I saw "the fourth estate"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Reverand maynard posted:

Lol, the funny thing is Mike Pence is a piece of poo poo that sold Indiana's highways. Pretty easy to balance a state budget when you sell off the loving infrastructure. I realize Mike Pence isn't president but I have to drive an extra 10 minutes there and back to get gently caress loving groceries or take a loving toll road. And I live in the loving boonies where it took a loving year to get god drat internet.

Yeah, both parties are culpable in regards to infrastructure, but then again this election was a punch in the jaw aimed at both sides in my estimation.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, both parties are culpable in regards to infrastructure, but then again this election was a punch in the jaw aimed at both sides in my estimation.

Yah, no, the republicans are culpable you South Park libertarian

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I forgot all the bipartisan support the ACA had and that it wasn't rammed through by sheer force of will

my mistake

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

This thread is worth a read as well:

https://twitter.com/gatorgoat/status/796381134875725825

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/796511855959310336

Read his previous tweets in his thread and a couple afterwards as well

A lot of his from last night are golden.

e.

Can we dump the south?

https://twitter.com/DerrickQLewis/status/796449067723345922

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 10, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, pro-click right here.

Oh this is the dude that wrote What's the Matter with Kansas? Makes sense.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Whats kinda insane is that a lot of things in Trump's 100 day plan are solidly against a lot of Republican party ideals. What if we live in an insane timeline where Trump is the catalyst that forces the Republican's to stop actively loving the lower and middle class?

I mean the Democrats got blasted but Trump destroyed the Republican party in the primaries. Taking a sledge hammer to lobbyists is pretty loving funny, as is term limits.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

Whats kinda insane is that a lot of things in Trump's 100 day plan are solidly against a lot of Republican party ideals. What if we live in an insane timeline where Trump is the catalyst that forces the Republican's to stop actively loving the lower and middle class?

I mean the Democrats got blasted but Trump destroyed the Republican party in the primaries. Taking a sledge hammer to lobbyists is pretty loving funny, as is term limits.

No link but McConnell's response to the 100 Day Plan already says they're not touching infrastructure. I can imagine the cabinet turnover rate will be yuuuge and when DT realizes he can't fire Congress he could be cuckholded as president, like a post-Watergate Nixon.

Republicans have a golden opportunity to run this country for a good long while if they seize the populist fervor but they'll ruin it like they always do, just this time they'll have no one to blame. Maybe they'll start a war.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddrat do I want a Trump vs McConnell throwdown.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Goddrat do I want a Trump vs McConnell throwdown.

You're in luck my friend!

Maybe Obama was upbeat because he knows Trump and the GOP are gonna smash their dicks against a wall for the next 4 years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I know its a fevered dream but just a few slightly sane GOP Senators could pretty much derail the entire plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Suicide Watch posted:

No link but McConnell's response to the 100 Day Plan already says they're not touching infrastructure.

Lol, get hosed McConnell. I can't believe I'm I'm agreement with Trump about infrastructure spending g and of course McConnell is being a poo poo heel about it.

• Locked thread