Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually find myself wishing there were more vaults in the game. ME:A controls, gameplay, and powers feel like it was designed specifically for dungeon-delving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I like the idea of there being branching paths for ME3. My idea was that if you sided against Cerberus in ME2 then, yeah, they get taken over by Reapers and become enemies in ME3. But if you sided with them in ME2 then the Alliance gets taken over by Reapers and becomes the equivalent enemy faction in ME3.

I know it's waaaay too ambitious of a gameplay design but hey.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha this one's ugly let's shoot her haha

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I wish they had anything like a test area for the guns, 'cuz I'm not gonna waste materials crafting a thing then fly down to a planet to test it to see if I actually like it...or well, technically, I did do that, and it wasn't particularly fun. At this point multiplayer is teaching me more about how the guns work than a whole playthrough and a half of singleplayer did.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's been seven years and I still don't get why people dislike Reaper baby.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Avitus straight up mentions being Saren's apprentice in conversation in the game, too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The truest power bottom

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Vanguard of your destruction.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

New Patch Notes:

Jaal can now be romanced by Scott Ryder
WE'VE DONE IT

...ugh, gently caress this guy hell with this guy, I'm not tapping that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

The dude on the right looks Kett
Which one can I
gently caress

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

The easiest thing, creatively, is to choose an ending and retcon the parts that make it fuckin' stupid.
It really is as simple as this. The thing is, though, that the heads in charge spent so much time just stubbornly, pigheadedly refusing to acknowledge anything wrong with these three endings where you completely nullify every interesting element from the last three games that, to this day, I'm not actually sure Bioware knows which parts were fuckin' stupid and why. Eight years after the fact and, y'know what, I bet you the original writers would still defend the Starchild asspulls, just like people here still do, and claim that the only reason people don't like it is 'cuz there weren't smart enough to "get it."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't think that works though. The Reapers are clearly shown to outfight any individual ship, and if I remember rightly there was a Codex entry stating that you needed 4 capital class ships to words words words etc etc yada yada
Look...forget about the whole "It shouldn't be X amount of impossible to defeat the Reapers" mindset. Forget the in-game diatribes about how they're beyond anything you can possibly bring to bear. Forget about the bloody pyrrhic victory, forget about the ever-so-revolutionary concept of rocks fall everyone dies. Because guess what, they had their genuine chance to pull all that off and blew it so badly that there's no more Mass Effect. I mean, if that was their actual intent then...mission accomplished?

Y'know the actual purpose of a game telling the player that all conventional methods won't be enough to stop the enemy? So that the player will feel satisfied when they do end up finding some method that will stop the enemy. That's it. It's Gandalf going on about how scary Sauron is, it's Palpatine waxing poetic about how he's totally unstoppable, it's friggin' Jafar crowing about how he's the most powerful being ever. It's setting up how difficult it will be to obtain the goal of the storyline, so that the audience feels the utmost sense of catharsis when the heroes pull it off anyway. Trying to read into it any more than that is them trying to outsmart their own story for some reason, probably to make bold claims about how shooting yourself in the foot is actually super groundbreaking.

So a big machine you build to destroy all Reapers instantaneously is completely appropriate. A big gun that you the player shoot at the Reapers that explodes their faces is completely appropriate. Overwhelming the Reapers through the power of galactic friendship, more galactic and more friendly than there ever has been before, is completely appropriate; no one would've batted an eye (in a good way) if that's how the series had in fact ended. If we take the diegetic concept that the Reapers are literally unbeatable by any achievable means as a face value blueprint for this series then we should've stopped playing back in ME1 when you crashed your Mako through space magic and then pimpslapped a Reaper to death through sheer testicular fortitude alone. The only reason the story told you that you couldn't do it is so that you can do it.

Is that predictable? Is that milquetoast? Or is it just writing your story well? Because a story that you can foresee the general outcome of simply means that it's being true to its setup. That doesn't mean there aren't twists and turns, but those twists have to be satisfying in context. If you want to, for some reason, have the genre-flouting upheavals that make it as difficult as humanly possible to actually make more games after this one, then you also have to go through the effort of setting those twists and turns up well through the 100+ hours of gametime that you had available. Honestly, the closest things that modern genre fiction got to establishing a truly pyrrhic, but-at-what-cost, bulldoze-the-worldstate payoff at the end of their gray-scale narrative was Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones and both of them also hosed up their attempts so ineptly that they'll never be remembered as anything more than bad memes now. Maybe people should just stop trying to do...whatever it is that these things are.

G̸̹͈͚̈́o̶͇̣̼̐̈́̊̑̐͜d̶̨̳͓͓̜́̚ ̸̢̛̠̲̀̀I̷͚͇̾̌ ̴̣̺̬̞̦̇̾̍l̵̪͙͎͔̊ṍ̵͇̖̩̏̀͜͜͝v̷̜̪̘̫̋̉e̵̡̤͒̍͐́̅ ̶̻͍̖̻͂̇̃͝M̴̰̣̾̚͝a̷̭̺͂͂͝s̴̼͈͇͉̙͋̒̽̿s̵̰̻̄͗ ̸͋̈́͜Ě̸̠̙̮̺̈́̑͆f̷̲̟͉̰̯͗͑f̸̛͓̲̊̈́͝ͅȩ̶̹̰̋̿c̸̹̹̍̉ͅt̵̟̟̤͔͚̋̀̑͊

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I know, it's 67% off on Steam right now! I never managed to finish it but I probably will now. :hist101:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Are they gonna fix the thing where you couldn't even import your custom Shep face into ME3?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Reapers are an ancient machine race that cultivates and then harvests organic life in order to propagate their own cycles.

There. That's it. That's all you need. It was even established by the first two games. That's literally all you need.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't even get why "why" is even a question 'cuz it's like...uh well if they don't propagate their cycle then they...don't exist. Or they'll have to be something entirely different and not Reapers. How are we confused by this? Which part of "they eat people" lost everyone?

This is why I still maintain that Andromeda's Kett are actually completely fine as antagonists. They want to dissect races for their genetics because that's just how they develop. Mystery resolved.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh gently caress clowns here we go again

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the Andromeda ending as well. It actually felt a lot like what ME3's ending should've been: you round up a bunch of your friends and blow up meanie. The end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've said this before in regards to Andromeda, but one of the main design problems is that there are no real fail conditions. If you make the mistake of clicking buttons in the vicinity of your companions, they will end up liking you and you'll bloody deal with it.

This has always been one of the prominent issues with Mass Effect, wherein having three different choices lead to the same outcome will plague you right up to the loving Starchild climax, but feels especially pronounced in Andromeda because there just flat out are not any consequences to anything.

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Of...the entire series? Starting from ME1?

Not really! It's pretty user friendly. There's three main "missions" on three main planets at first, and there's some slight comedic consequence to saving one of the for last (the one where you find someone called Liara), but it doesn't lock you out of anything.

A fourth mission planet opens up after that, called Virmire, and you'll want to have done everything your companions wanted you to do for them before going there, because it'll affect things a little. Unless you don't care and just wanna see what happens.

Generally, go full Paragon or full Renegade for each playthrough on each game. There's benefits to always P or R, and none for constantly switching between them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ah. Then none. :sweatdrop:

Lol I genuinely don't think the game locks you out of anything. Just do whatever you want. Points of no return are clearly marked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gonna be honest, playing Cyberpunk 2077 recently gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in Andromeda.

But tbh it gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in every other game too, so...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Progression in CP is busted. There are skill trees that are near impossible to progress, perks you waste points on that are actively detrimental when they don't just do nothing (underwater stealth! :downs:), the armor has broken numbers, and combat is mostly bullet sponging while huffing health crack.

...Okay, the storytelling and writing is pretty good though.

I don't really know why I'm comparing it to ME, they're apples and oranges in most respects. I'm just bitter :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I consider myself almost embarrassingly versed in Mass Effect lore and pointless minutiae and I had to look up who this character is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, the hover mechanic was a pretty good bargain.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Manshep also had lines for a romance with Thane and Femshep for Tali.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfzyGbnAYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVNqxjiH0Y

The "official," "company" explanation for these always seems to be that both genders of Shepards always record all lines, even for the other Shepard, and it doesn't mean that these romances were necessarily ever going to be in the game. Honestly, I don't know how real of a justification that is, especially given this new info about Jack and particularly the part where media blowback had an explicit effect on production.

It never made much sense to me, having a tiny bit of experience with the development pipeline, that you would make more work for yourself to record more material if you didn't at least suspect that you might need those assets at some point. And the idea that, for instance, Jennifer Hale needed to hear Mark Meer deliver lines for scenes -- much less romances -- that we were always ever only going to hear Hale performing in-game seemed like a...strange...allocation of time.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kind of a cool bts video on ME2, detailing a lot of the development process for its squadmates and their missions, including ones that didn't make it to the final game.