Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to be able to gently caress anyone in the game. Even if it's a robot. And I want my shipmates to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope Sera is in ME:A and you can kill her.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nods to other games don't really mean they're canonically in the same universe. Devs do that poo poo all the time.

Not in this case. A Krogan crash landed in Ferlden and died. They chopped off his head and put it on the wall. Then used the tech to do things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just pre-ordered MEA.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The twist is going to be that you gently caress your sibling.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread has improved tremendously since it steered its focus away from speculation and back towards things we can form substantive opinions about.

ME was outstanding. It was an actual RPG. People who don't really like RPGs tend to think it wasn't as good as
ME2 which was very good but was an EA RPG-lite that was obviously focus tested. Also, the writers took an amazing framework from the first game and completely ignored it in order to deal with their daddy issues.
ME3 had fun gameplay and some good moments but was start to finish a horrible piece of poo poo when it came to the writing. With critical thinking and a few playthroughs of the series it becomes obvious that the people writing it were just doing a job but weren't trying to do their best. These weren't people who intimately familiar with the characters or what had come before. As such, we got a huge turd.

These are my opinions, but they are also correct so if you disagree then you must have wrong opinions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The extinction cycles was actually an interesting idea that was poorly explained and even more poorly used as a plot device. It seems like something that would have worked well in a book.

For instance, if in the game you had reapers with different personalities, based on the species from which they were harvested, you could open up some good story opportunities. You could meet a reaper who wasn't down with having been harvested in the first place while another reaper was very warlike and gets off on all the suffering that goes into the new reaper creation. You could even write in an ending where the reapers, as a whole, are finally convinced to stop the harvesting. (not via control)

It's like they had an idea that actually worked for the reapers motivations but then never went anywhere with it. As soon as they knew it was going to be a trilogy, the writing team should have been hired on as actual full-time employees (rather than contractors which is probably how most of them were paid) with job security and the knowledge they would be writing this for 3-4 more years. Then hammered out ME2 and 3s plots and worked out the kinks.

But we aren't allowed to have nice things. Just profit for EA.

Looking forward to eating some more ME poo poo in a few months. Mmmmm caca.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best part of the last thread was whenever someone new would show up and play the games and wind the whole thing up again. I'm pretty sure I was one of those at some point, too. I played ME3 about 6 months after it came out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Which was the final DAI DLC? I never got around to finishing it. I was in some garden and had to wander around talking to people and just didn't feel up to it. Been meaning to finish so I could delete the whole thing from my PS4.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hmm...6-8 hours to finish. So 4 or 5 sessions. Meh. Feels like work.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DAO was Biowares best game. This is undeniable. Baldurs Gate doesn't count because it was boring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Codependent Poster posted:

DA:O had the Fade and that whole terrible section where you're running back and forth from the Mage Tower and then the Deep Roads. It had very, very bad slogs in it.

ME2 on the other hand is perfect.

ME2 is far from perfect.

I mean, c'mon.

DAO, OTOH, had multiple endings that were actually based on your decisions. It was clearly thought out from start to finish.

The fade was tricky but hardly game breaking. Zelda OoT is regarded as one of the GOAT and it has the water temple.

ME2 starts and ends with complete stupidity. It's an 8, at best.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't make me replay ME3 and take notes all the way through and then post them. Cuz I really don't want to do that. But this is the internet and some of you are very wrong and I need to rectify the situation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kai Leng is better in the books because he gets his legs broken.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe if it was Witcher or an Obsidian production or heck even Dark Souls. But is a Bioware game really worth that kind of effort???

Naw.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Like if some one is reading this who hasn't played the game and is wondering "can it really be that bad?" I'm telling you Mass Effect 3 is a game where the "unlock-able good ending" involves you putting glowing green circuit boards on everyone in the galaxy followed by your ship's pilot crash landing the ship in a metaphorical Eden and then going off to gently caress his real doll.

That's not the good ending. That's the retard ending. The good ending is red w/ enough war assets to survive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alain Post posted:

One problem is that years and years of RPG design has led to the implicit agreement that both players and designers adhere to, which is that if you do a lot of work and level up a lot, you should be able to get the "ideal" result, when not getting the ideal result is frequently more interesting of a story

Which is why I feel DAO is their best game.

I did everything as ideally as I could, including respecting my companions wishes. What did I get? My best friend tells me to gently caress off and runs away to become a drunk and my girlfriend steals my baby and runs away to do whatever the gently caress she wanted, too. And the whole ending sequence was rad, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just got Witcher 3 for $25 at BB. I don't have FF15 yet. I have a feeling Witcher is the way to go. Thoughts?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GBS.jpg

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that a glitch or is there a way to play the whole game that way. Because I think it would be fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You can also get him to stand down by default if you don't recruit Garrus and haven't been to Therum to pick up Liara yet. Since Kaidan and Ashley both become unavailable during the mission, your only squad member left would be Tali. You're not allowed to have only one person in your squad so Wrex sticks around.

So many great ways to break the game. What happens if you shoot him in this situation?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone catch me up on the last 15 pages? Still talking about nothing because there is nothing to talk about?

Have you ever noticed that the Salarians, Krogan, Turians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus, Vorcha and Yahg all look sort of alien, though most are humanoid. But the Asari look like blue humans. Hmm....I wonder why.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trast posted:

That hasn't stopped half of the internet from wanting to gently caress them.

What's wrong with 1/2 the internet?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Adept with max Lift, Adept and Pistols can take down Geth Colossus on Insanity without breaking a sweat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mymla posted:

Well I mean, anyone can, you just hold down mouse 1 until it falls over. I did this with every geth colossus and tresher maw in the game, because you get more xp killing them on foot than with the mako.

It's me, I'm the minmax sperg.

I said without breaking a sweat. Your way involves sweat and overheating weapons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mymla posted:

Your weapon doesn't overheat once you get some mods in it.

If you just hold the mouse button down it will eventually. Like when you are fighting a Colossus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Your Computer posted:

I had this grand idea of playing through the entire trilogy in anticipation of this game (I never actually played ME3, but ME1&2 are some of my favorite games) but I'm having such a hard time getting into ME1 :qq: The clunky controls and UI, and most importantly the spider-eyelashes, skeletal-looking, fish-lipped player character. I'm the type of person who spends literal hours in character creators, but I just can't make anything resembling a human being in ME1s.
And you spend so much of the game looking at that face too :negative:

You're doing it wrong. Just use the default skin. It actually matches the voice for both.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Can't believe the Vega slander ITT. It was refreshing to have a squaddie who was a normal enlisted dude out of his depth! His whole refusal to bang Shepard thing was cool too until they decided to undo that. More squaddies should actively avoid loving g the protagonist IMHO

He refused to bang Shep because he isn't gay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

chiasaur11 posted:

Kasumi's mission also has some hot hanar action. It's a great little side quest, but it's obnoxiously easy to miss.

I forgot all about this mission. I did it my first time through but not the next two times. It is easy to miss indeed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel like DAI would be a much better game if it was good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When is this thing happening?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been replaying ME.

It's good. But I wish they had balanced combat better. You start off weak as is normal in a RPG. But as you get stronger combats get trivialized pretty quickly. Unless there is a sniper.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Skippy McPants posted:

I was gonna say, one of my favorite things about Spacer Shepard is that their Mom is still alive. You even get to chat with her a couple time!

Produces one of the best moments in the entire series.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zore posted:

It still amazes me that every single loyalty with the exception of Kasumi/Garrus/Zaeed/Mordin was about daddy issues. Either they had a poo poo dad or they were a poo poo dad in the case of Thane/Samara.

And Garrus had his daddy issues mission in ME1.

Kasumi: Called him daddy
Mordin: is basically the daddy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

The talk with Garrus in ME3?

No. In Citadel, after you have chosen red and destroyed the reapers and survived and had a weird hallucination about Joker landing on some weird planet, and then defeated your evil twin, you can call your mom and the conversation ends with Hannah telling her child how proud she is of what Shepard has done. Then you have a big party with your friends.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

Palaven remains one of the most tightly designed missions in the game - well paced, fun combat, no bullshit, and proper gating on combat areas so you can't just dash past everything - something several of the later sections of the game seem to forget (parts of the attack on the citadel, Tuchanka, and other areas come to mind).

Sexy robot EDI uuuuuuuuugh why did they think this was a good idea. At least telling joker and EDI to knock it off all the time is pretty funny

Except for the stupid turret stuff. Well, everything actually. So no, Palaven sucks and makes no sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phrosphor posted:

Was there ever an explanation why the Human Reaper that the collectors were building was a big metal robot, skull and all?

EA don't think the players are smart.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME2 had the worst plot of the 3. It was executed well, but it's still dumb as gently caress.

The reapers use the collectors to start building the human reaper before the reaping has already started for reasons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you were to take all three games and judge them independently of each other, ME1 is the best, ME2 is #2 and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that makes no sense.
If you take them as parts of a series, ME1 is far better than the others, ME2 makes no sense at all and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that still makes no sense.
In other words, the only good game of the three is ME1, in spite of its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

marshmallow creep posted:

In that case, cheaper to get them on pc. Or watch an lp like you proposed, but I don't know of any that are any good.

What would constitute a good LP?

I actually recorded all 3 games and then just deleted it all because, why bother?