Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

She also dresses worse than the women on those "Let's do a 15-minute review of a 2-minute trailer that was just released" YouTube channels whose creators should all be shot into the loving sun.

That, and for some reason she looked like the sweatiest person on the whole ship. Bad skin texture or bad lighting, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

loving Diana Allers :lol: and her goddamn :bigtran: BattleTits :bigtran:

Fixed

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

That, and for some reason she looked like the sweatiest person on the whole ship. Bad skin texture or bad lighting, or both.

Something is deeply off with her entire facial animation/rigging.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wonde what's at stake. It seems impossible to have a bigger threat than the reapers.

Steak Liara, I just loving love steak

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Cythereal posted:

Something is deeply off with her entire facial animation/rigging.

I'm hoping the recent trend of mocapping actor's faces for CG characters caries over to AAA games.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
A few more disparate thoughts before I jump into Palaven...

I'm playing this time around with a mod that removes the dream sequences almost entirely, and cuts the kid out of them completely. This is a lot more bearable as slo-mo running gets tedious immediately; I can't help but think that they really should have left you on Earth for a bit longer - maybe making getting to the Normandy a more serious task, have you see some destruction and devastation up close - and beyond that actually give you some damned difficult fighting that you need to run away from to survive - really bring in the idea that this isn't a stand-up fight you can win - having players replay those kinds of sequences as a nightmare scenario would have been better - and played up what seems like a PTSD angle a bit more believably than some spooooooky forest somewhere.

I also think the Virmire survivor should have straight up died on Mars; nobody seems to have really liked either of them - but it could have served as some actual in-game justification for considering Cerberus a threat.

It's a shame we never get to see the Raloi at all, or hear about them beyond a single audio-clip in the SPECTRE room on the Citadel. Shepard the Ambassador is kind of silly but I could have gotten into it if we got to talk with a few more races.

While I really like the upgrades/inventory system in 3, I really don't like how the stores feel so... anemic. This kind of adds to an overall sense I get playing the game that everything could have stood to have a little more time spent on it:
  • the ship model hunt doesn't have visible models for you to, you know, see
  • femshep's walk animation is goofy as hell
  • wrong weapon displayed (often bitched about here, I know)

Finally Planet (or I guess system) searching this time around was (I think) a good palette cleanser to walking/talking or shoot-mans gameplay, but could have done with a steeper difficulty curve, some actual penalties for failing, and a bit more gating on how many systems are available to search right off the bat (maybe limit fuel a bit more harshly?)

oh, Hairy Asari Eyebrow's Spotted: 0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lobok posted:

Exactly! She's dressed for a nightclub, and looks like she just stumbled out of one at 4am.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nevets posted:

I'm hoping the recent trend of mocapping actor's faces for CG characters caries over to AAA games.

There is Uncharted 4 but Naughty Dog probably isn't the industry standard in anything (meaning they're way too good).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

There are a lot of bad lighting issues in ME3 and that's one of them. Lots of things seem washed out or mismatched, it's like the visual artists didn't have the time or resources. Perhaps it just wasn't a priority.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Palaven remains one of the most tightly designed missions in the game - well paced, fun combat, no bullshit, and proper gating on combat areas so you can't just dash past everything - something several of the later sections of the game seem to forget (parts of the attack on the citadel, Tuchanka, and other areas come to mind).

Sexy robot EDI uuuuuuuuugh why did they think this was a good idea. At least telling joker and EDI to knock it off all the time is pretty funny

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JawKnee posted:

Palaven remains one of the most tightly designed missions in the game - well paced, fun combat, no bullshit, and proper gating on combat areas so you can't just dash past everything - something several of the later sections of the game seem to forget (parts of the attack on the citadel, Tuchanka, and other areas come to mind).

Sexy robot EDI uuuuuuuuugh why did they think this was a good idea. At least telling joker and EDI to knock it off all the time is pretty funny

I like the robot EDI head for a conversation avatar thingie. Plus you don't get a camel toe if you just don't use that particular outfit, which is good.

However I'd have liked the rest more if her body was loaded with weapons and rocket boosters like the female android that hunts you in Space Quest 5 for the capital offense of accidental mail fraud in Space Quest 2.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Enemies do go flying when you charge them in the old games too, but only if their shield/armor/barrier is gone. Otherwise they just stagger. It was the whole basis of the batarian vanguard multiplayer character where you would charge something and then do a punch and cause your guy to slide across the floor following the ragdoll enemy.
Not only that, but Vanguard is very different in the single-player where you can pause to line up a shot. Sending your enemies flying away from you is fine because, as they go ragdolling through the air, you can finish them off with a perfectly aimed shot to the butthole.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

Except for the stupid turret stuff. Well, everything actually. So no, Palaven sucks and makes no sense.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Morrigan is one of the best characters in Dragon Age, why lump her together with Sera the living essence of monkey cheese

Honestly Morrigan always annoyed me. She wasn't a bad character, but as a character in a game with lots of side content her gimmick was just kinda tiresome since it often came off as 'STOP DOING SIDE QUESTS'. At least Sten you could be like 'Hey dude, this helps us'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waltzing Along posted:

Except for the stupid turret stuff. Well, everything actually. So no, Palaven sucks and makes no sense.

And the infodump breaks for new players with Vega.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JawKnee posted:

Visually dull, though. It was kinda reminiscent of ME1 areas.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I like the robot EDI head for a conversation avatar thingie. Plus you don't get a camel toe if you just don't use that particular outfit, which is good.

how did they explain that away again?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MadBimber posted:

That's where she keeps her guns.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A new Andromeda Initiative briefing on the Tempest and Nomad is coming tomorrow.

MadBimber posted:

In game? They didn't. Outside the game, they re-used Miranda's model for that outfit and as Miranda has a camel toe, EDI gets one too.
That does beg the question of why Miranda has a camel toe and the answer to that my friend is: because Bioware.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TIM knows what he likes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No explanation for the anatomically correct Banshees either, aside from the aforementioned, 'because Bioware'. You'd think their Marketing or QA department would have someone kicking around who'd raise a red flag on stuff like that.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I forgot that Jack and Miranda had a fight in ME2, what is the actual outcome of that? Does siding with either of them effect anything? I have never had enough paragon or renegade points to do anything other than side when it has come up, but it never gets mentioned again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As I recall, if you have enough points to pick a paragon renegade option, you get to keep their loyalty, but if you don't, you lose the loyalty of the one you don't pick.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Phrosphor posted:

I forgot that Jack and Miranda had a fight in ME2, what is the actual outcome of that? Does siding with either of them effect anything? I have never had enough paragon or renegade points to do anything other than side when it has come up, but it never gets mentioned again.

You lose the loyalty of the one you don't side with and then they have a higher chance of dying in the suicide mission.
So no biggie.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

However I'd have liked the rest more if her body was loaded with weapons and rocket boosters like the female android that hunts you in Space Quest 5 for the capital offense of accidental mail fraud in Space Quest 2.

This is a cool idea. You are cool for referencing my first Space Quest.

But seriously, robot teammates should have sweet built in robot doomsday weapons. Even if that does not mesh with "gently caress it, just give HK-47 the same guns any rear end in a top hat can use." ease of use of your loot system design, so from a def effort standpoint I get why we can't have nice things. like "EDI, fire your eye lasers!"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

As I recall, if you have enough points to pick a paragon renegade option, you get to keep their loyalty, but if you don't, you lose the loyalty of the one you don't pick.

But you can talk to whichever one you lost the loyalty of and subsequently gain it back with a lower-Charm/Intimidate check, if you like.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That's cool, I will try talking to Miranda again tonight. I am trying to do the Legion + Tali loyalty missions together, just not sure how many missions I need to do after the Reaper IFF to unlock Legions loyalty mission, it should be the last thing I do before heading through the relay. Leaving Arrival for the postgame.

Is there a generally recommended time to do each of the ME3 DLCs? I never bothered to get them after finishing ME3 for the first time but I am going to reply it after I finish 2 and want to include them. I heard Leviathan was good, Omega was soso and Citadel was one of the best experiences in the game fullstop.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Leviathan is best off mid-game sometime (probably after Rannoch so you have all the squadmates), Omega is whenever (I actually never re-bought it when I moved to PC I don't care about it so hard), and Citadel is after the ending because gently caress what Bioware says, it's the real ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phrosphor posted:

Is there a generally recommended time to do each of the ME3 DLCs? I never bothered to get them after finishing ME3 for the first time but I am going to reply it after I finish 2 and want to include them. I heard Leviathan was good, Omega was soso and Citadel was one of the best experiences in the game fullstop.
Leviathan and Omega you can play whenever you want, Citadel should be saved for post-game where you reload an earlier save.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also do Leviathan after you've locked in your love interest and then take them with you on the final Leviathan mission for a little extra touch with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Load up legion immediately after getting him. Complete his dialogue and then do Tali's loyalty mission. Legion will give you his the moment you return and then do that one right away. That way you get both loyalties and still have time to save the crew

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cheers for the all the info folks. I am really enjoying ME2, first time I have played it in nearly 6 years and it still holds up really well. There is some jankiness but bioware :pgi:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Also do Leviathan after you've locked in your love interest and then take them with you on the final Leviathan mission for a little extra touch with them.

What's the extra touch? I've not done any romances in ME3. Do they just say, "Oh Shepard! Don't ever scare me like that again!"

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Someone was talking like a mass effect xcom game. I was thinking a cool setting would be Garrus's two years of Archangel stuff on omega.

Start off with just Garrus, and then build up a team - slowly clear out omega starting from the bottom or something. I think most of the assets are even already available. You could translate Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pact tactics into a turn based strategy pretty well. Do some cool stuff with biotics. If I had any skill at all it might be a fun little hobby endeavour.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drifter posted:

What's the extra touch? I've not done any romances in ME3. Do they just say, "Oh Shepard! Don't ever scare me like that again!"

That's pretty close actually! You have a moment before you go in the mech and then they'll be the one who runs to you when you collapse near the brutes and then you have another moment in the shuttle.
I usually romance Kaidan and he says 'Don't ever do that again', dunno about the others and what they say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phrosphor posted:

Someone was talking like a mass effect xcom game. I was thinking a cool setting would be Garrus's two years of Archangel stuff on omega.

Start off with just Garrus, and then build up a team - slowly clear out omega starting from the bottom or something. I think most of the assets are even already available. You could translate Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pact tactics into a turn based strategy pretty well. Do some cool stuff with biotics. If I had any skill at all it might be a fun little hobby endeavour.

Or a Systems Alliance game. Start fighting a mix of batarians and mercs, then the Reaper war starts and you encounter geth, Cerberus, Collectors, and Reaper ground forces.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Helith posted:

as Miranda has a camel toe, EDI gets one too.

:crossarms:

i guess i never noticed with them always focusing on her huge rear end instead. we really need a :bioware:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MadBimber posted:

we really need a :bioware:

:speculate:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

That's pretty close actually! You have a moment before you go in the mech and then they'll be the one who runs to you when you collapse near the brutes and then you have another moment in the shuttle.
I usually romance Kaidan and he says 'Don't ever do that again', dunno about the others and what they say.

Kaiden's a little bitch, though. If that's what kaiden says then the others probably just say, "I'm glad you're back, dude, you had me worried for a bit, there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Carth is cool