Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Can you really imagine Bioware having the balls/brazen stupidity to not include some of their more interesting and unique species?

"Hey guys, it's Mass Effect but not including half the poo poo you like!"

Coming soon: DLC for random quarians standing around in random base areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c9sdu/im_joe_juba_the_writer_of_game_informers_mass/

GameInformer AMA on Andromeda:

"So, here's the thing about other races: 4 specifically came to Andromeda on the Arks (Turian, Salarian, Human, Asari). However, the Nexus (which is kind of like Andromeda's version of the Citadel) was sent ahead of the Arks, and the Nexus had a more varied staff.
I don't know specifically which other races (apart from Krogan) got to Andromeda via the Nexus, but theoretically, it could be any of them.
At the same time, because this is the fresh start for the series, I don't think the team wants to overwhelm players with a bunch of weirdo aliens, so don't expect ALL of them to show up. If I had to bet, I'd say Quarians will be there. I wouldn't be so confident in C-tier species like Vorcha, Batarians, etc..."

more than that in the link, but that's kinda interesting

Hopefully the Batarians come along so they can get genocided in a whole new galaxy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The ships in mass effect already do faster than light travel. Mass Relays just make them go super fast.

As I recall it's a sort of fuel/navigation hazard situation. Ship based FTL's are for travel within star clusters but mass relays are to travel from cluster to cluster. Between stars is relatively empty and safe but since a mass relay could very well connect to another one hundreds or thousands of light years away and there's no way to travel that far a distance without needing a large amount of fuel and/or not smash into a star. I think ships need to discharge their space static electricity every so often too?

Bartender Asari mentioned at one point that everyone should be developing their own mass relays so I want to say that the theory is known but building them, especially on the scale of the reaper-built relays, is just too much effort.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Something, probably the codex, also mentions that because of the whole Reaper tech thing Cerberus soldiers are super soldiers or something so they can totally overwhelm a force many times their size.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Any time someone talks about how they just can't get people to relate to weird alien faces/bodies I think about Thomas Was Alone and how by the end of that game I was completely invested in the fate of a bunch of rectangles.

Team Jump

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait a second, that's not his name!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nevets posted:

Nobody knows, all the Andromeda colonists left before the Reapers showed up & they have no way of communicating with the Milky Way or going back there.

Wait, I thought the Normandy had a quantum entanglement communicator or some-such? Doesn't that mean that instantaneous communication over any distance technology exists already? Why wouldn't somebody alert the colony fleet that their home civilization is being destroyed and recall them? Surely the giant hub ship has got to have tons of weapons, they wouldn't send it into an alien galaxy without as much firepower as possible in case they found a hostile species.

I want to say that those communicators came about via the one on the Normandy that Cerberus built so if these ships are leaving before Shepard flipped off TIM then they wouldn't have them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Finally, the important part.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

I think that particular Rubicon has been crossed

If Caesar has crossed the T&A Rubicon then maybe its time for Hannibal to scale the Dick Alps.

That is a terrible joke and I apologize.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Rockstar and Ubisoft have you covered.

Yeah, but I'm not going to get emotionally attached to Rockstar's penis.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was falling victim to the Xbox 360 needing to swap to a second disc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moola posted:

RDR is good, but game of the decade? lol no

Maybe it got it because it was Rockstar's one good game of the decade.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder how long dialogue options are going to be limited to the number of face buttons on a controller.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Witcher 3 is a good game no matter what Geralt is like.

Dragon Age 2 is not a good game because of what everything is like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moola posted:

I hope vangaurds can jetpack into the sky then charge

sky-charging is the new meta

Codependent Poster posted:

I wanna jetpack into the sky, then pull the person to me, then charge them in the face in mid-air.

So basically Saints Row 4. I'm down.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...campaign=buffer

8. Not all of the races from the original trilogy appear in Andromeda, but they may show up in future installments. “We’ve designed the IP in such a way that they can all show up,” Walters says. “For hopefully obvious reasons, they’re not all going to show up in the first game.”

The obvious reason is that it's too much work.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

All the other arks blew up and left us alone in the galaxy, didn't they?

Sounds like something like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I have started my annual Christmas Trilogy run and I wanted to tell you guys know about a mod I got for ME3 that adds a lot of cool features. It's called Expanded Galaxy Mod. Since the last thread was up for nearly 5 years, I won't pretend like it wasn't mentioned but I just thought I'd share it in case no one has heard of it. It's also very easy to install.

Here's a link.
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350/

This sounds like a really good mod but it also sounds ridiculously ambitious for a game that wasn't really meant to be modded. I mean there's barely any nude and sex mods for ME3 and that's kind of the barometer for how easy something is to mod. Does it actually do half the things the descriptions says?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Pretty pissed that Mass Effect: Androgynous isn't going to have any 10 butthole fetch quests

That's only because you're only ever able to date one crew member though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of wish Wreav showed up in some capacity in 2 and 3 if Wrex lived, but I guess the only thing he could really do then is show how great Wrex is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Helith posted:

He does, he gets headbutted by Wrex for disagreeing with him in 2 and he gets eaten by Kalros the Thresher Maw in 3! His job, as you guessed, in both is to basically show how great Wrex is in comparison.

I don't remember Wrex headbutting anybody except that rear end in a top hat who wants Grunt.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

I got the itch to play ME1, so I bought it on Steam after having it on xbox years ago. I can't seem to figure out how to get Bring Down the Sky though. Is it even possible? Googling it feels like an archaeological dig through dead links to bioware redemption pages.

I think the answer at this point is contact EA support.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

What's wrong with 1/2 the internet?

The other half of the internet is too busy wanting to gently caress Overwatch characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

If you just hold the mouse button down it will eventually. Like when you are fighting a Colossus.

Enough cooling mods and no gun will ever overheat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's crazy to me that anybody would preorder this game before we even know exactly how fuckable the human companions are.

No one wants to gently caress the humans in a Mass Effect game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

It could've even been an interesting character moment if you bring up the magnitude of that lie and that she kept lying even after she supposedly trusted Shepard.

But I'm guessing they just forgot?

No, they just wanted banshee's to be something "cool."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seemlar posted:

Multiple people on the Citadel in ME2 talk about the monastery and know about Ardat-Yakshi. There's no retcon, Samara just doesn't tell you the truth.

There was no monastery to talk about in ME2. Bioware wanted a better reason for Banshees than "Reapers did it" and retconned it in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't not see it no matter how hard I try.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Monolith. posted:

Thats a pretty good Samara.

I believe her and the Shepard beside her are the voice actors.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I don't really care about whatever new game Bioware puts out at this point but this seems like the only suitable thread to ask... is there a reason the Origin logo for ME3 is this weird, cryptic picture of the entire Middle East on fire?

What does EA mean by this?

As I recall there were a bunch of wallpapers of Shepard standing in front of various parts of Earth, all of which are on fire, and that is an unfortunately specific zoomed in portion of one of them.

Or someone on Origin was trying to be funny.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

In Bioware's defense, the quote that originated from is often taken way out of context. The artist was describing the challenge of how you depict masculine/feminine features for alien species in a way that makes sense to the player. The "what are we gonna do, put breasts on it" line in this context was acknowledging how absurd that would be.

I always thought this was overthinking it myself. If Thomas Was Alone can manage to make coloured rectangles believably gendered characters by having a narrator use words like "she" or "him" then you can probably do that for animated characters with a voiced personality. I guess it helped that Thomas used traditionally English-sounding names as well but, again, coloured rectangles. If the characters in the game acknowledge someone that looks distinctly non-human as a "she" or a "he" enough times (or whatever other genders may exist in a galaxy) then most people are just going to accept that no matter what.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

frajaq posted:

I don't understand why people still get worked up so much about Bioware/Bethesda these days, it's not like there's a lack of alternatives if you want good RPGs with depth and complexity lately

It's easier to be snarky on the internet than it is to play good games. Case in point, this post.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was okay and a good base upon which to improve.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Did they boost the yields you get from scanning planets in ME2? I have memories of spending ages grinding it when I first played the game, but I just started replaying it and after doing a couple of systems I have over 7k of each element apart from eezo.

I don't know about the amount you get but I do know they increased the size of the scanning reticule a while after launch. That makes it much faster to clear enough planets in the early game to carry you to the end. If you don't just cheat yourself the minerals that is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Pretty sure dad doesn't actually die but otherwise yeah.

DadRyder is voiced by Clancy Brown so it's still a 50% chance he will turn out to be a bad guy, or at the very least a greedy capitalistic crab, and have to be killed by Ryder.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nevets posted:

I'm hoping the recent trend of mocapping actor's faces for CG characters caries over to AAA games.

There is Uncharted 4 but Naughty Dog probably isn't the industry standard in anything (meaning they're way too good).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Unless invited" into the lounge you say :heysexy:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed riding around Roach in Witcher 3 so if MEA can be even just something like that I'm okay with it. Combined hopefully with better things to find than a pile of rocks (like ME1) or a chest with a weapon worse than the one you literally start the game with (Witcher 3) then that's fine with me as a basic overworld traveling thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some of you are incredibly desperate to find something, anything, to complain about with MEA. And not ironically either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

There is a DLC interactive comic for both games that lets you answer questions to set everything up. I think in ME2 if you don't have the DLC there are some questions you can answer when Miranda and Jacob are sanity checking Shep on the way to meet the Illusive Man for the first time that can change a few small things.

You can also download crafted save files, either from people who beat the first game, or ones created using Gibbed's save editor that set things up.

Using the ME2 comic DLC doesn't provide a 100% experience, it skips little things like Conrad Verner and focuses more on things like is Wrex alive and what did you do with the Rachni Queen.

Isn't that conversation in ME2 really only for the question of who became counsellor because the save ME1 creates to import into ME2 happens before that dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It got delayed again? That's funny.

Hmm...I'm seeing it as 3/31/17

That's literally the last day of Q1 2017 so yeah.