Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ice Fist posted:

I'm pretty pumped for this. There is gunna be SO MUCH pixel sex.

You don't even know.

I too can't wait for goons to establish brand new deviant sexual fantasies about these characters and to share it through tumblr links! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

precision posted:

Krogans are boring, I hope they're not in and BioWare instead made another race to be What If Orcs, But Too Much.

Whats it like being that wrong? Brogans for life.

Makes sense that the Council Races get a ship each then you'll likely have minor races as hangers on in the big Citadel-style ship because why not? Krogans are confirmed so it's probably a Wrex initiative since he was smart like that. Volus would be cool because they ran the economy for the Council Alliance. Throw in some other minor races as background NPCs and you should be good to go.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

There is also confirmed talk of a krogan colony ship you have to find but that's probably not the same as an ark ship.

I wonder if they'll use the hook of the Krogan cure being transmitted to the colony fleet while it was on its way for a story?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

i can't believe her name is loving peebee

Pretty sure it's a nickname. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

My greatest shame in ME3 is in over 1000 games of multiplayer I never once unlocked the Saber. :smith:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kurieg posted:

DRY DRY DRY!!!

Heroes never dry!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Not in this case. A Krogan crash landed in Ferlden and died. They chopped off his head and put it on the wall. Then used the tech to do things.

Like a krogan wouldn't survive the crash and conquer the planet. What is elf magic compared to noodle fueled krogan might?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

One of my favorite multiplayer builds was a N7 Demolisher with max grenade gear and my level nine harrier. I'd camp my ammo pylon, poo poo tech grenades everywhere for the vanguard to charge into, and finish off stuff with a rain of bullets.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

pre-order now for bonus Tupari vending machine squadmate !

I want it to be a geth disguised as the vending machine so I can have geth bros.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

The only thing that worries me about a classless skill system is that every single ability has to be balanced perfectly. Otherwise you get a 'feast or famine' effect where certain skills are always required and other ones will never be chosen.

I like someone with a Lucio gangtag complaining about balance and something always being needed. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

there are good parts to me3 sp, but overall its flat and by the numbers

Good Parts for those just joining us:
Citadel DLC (Lighter atmosphere, good fights, lots fo nods to fans)
Krogan Storyline
Getting to call the Quarians loving assholes
N7 Hoodie for your Shepard
Vega turns out to be a decent character
Shootin' bottles on the Citadel
Thane gets to go out like a badass
Traynor and the importance of dental hygene
Javik

Bad Parts:
Pretty much everything else

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

I actually enjoyed the end of Legion's storyline. Gave me the feels.

They changed writers so it didn't really feel quite like the same Geth.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

It was pretty amusing to taunt you about it though.

Oh I know. Start up a game and I spawn to three people shooting me point blank with sabers. TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Actually I don't remember if they said multi will be class based or not.

Edit: okay they say they have "tank" characters and prestiging a tank makes other tanks tankier, so that suggests class types.

They could carbon copy the old classes/characters or try grouping them like Overwatch does.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

yeah I understand

I hope theres more customization in the multiplayer this time; I'd like some perks and stuff

In the later updates they had some really interesting mixes of things like the Turian Vanguard.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

As I recall a few of the default classes were pretty good even in platinum.

The default weapons however were garbage.

A lot of platinum came down to teamwork and quality of gear. A vanilla adept did fine in platinum because they were great for causing combos with another player. I might be wrong but the vanilla vanguard might have been too squishy for platinum compared to the krogan or batarian.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Vanguards always had the problem of their primary ability being one bad choice away from a wave-ruining sync kill

Sync kills were the loving worst. The game was tense enough on high levels without that hand wavey bullshit.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

yeah getting close to a high-level enemy should be risky but the risk shouldn't be "at random times you will automatically die with no warning or ability to avoid it"

they should just smack you real hard or something

The Banshees would use their sync kill constantly. Brutes and Atlas units seemed to do it at a much more reasonable pace. You'd have to really tempt fate with them to get their sync kill to fire. But with a Banshee just being near one triggered the granny hug of death.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Oh man how could I forget the phantoms? They were so damned annoying.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Geostomp posted:

They're no Banshees, but they are much more obnoxious than most enemies.

They had an obnoxiously powerful pistol they used at range but you could manage them with explosives or ranged biotics. The Falcon rifle got outclasses and nerfed a lot but it was wonderful for applying ammo powers and knocking back phantoms.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I'm guessing the writers are going into this with the assumption there will be sequels. That is one thing that really seemed to gently caress up the first three games. Mass Effect One is a big sensation and the writers can't come up with anything so they squat over a galaxy map and out plops Cerberus and Jesus Shepard.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So when the Reapers invade the Milky Way and steal the plans for the Andromeda Initiative, will they send a ship to pursue them to another Galaxy? They've already established that the Reapers are extremely fast moving through Dark Space, so they could probably catch up in the 600 year time span.

The idea that the Reapers stuck to one galaxy always seemed limited in scope to me. That being said with the way the Reapers ended up I'll gladly leave them behind story wise.

the good fax machine posted:

Yes but Mass Effect 2 owned sooo

I loved ME2 but you could have easily had the same story without Cerberus. "No one on the council believed me. I'm going to assemble my own team, the best of the best. We'll get the job done ourselves or die trying." You could have had Liara as the Shadow Broker feeding the Normandy team info and the Shadow Broker DLC being the big reveal.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The acolyte pistol crushes phantoms.

Yeah once that was introduced it made breaking them down much easier.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I think it's pretty clear that EA basically slapped Bioware around and told them to resuscitate the franchise by any means necessary after the debacle of ME3.

It's how we end up with such a weird idea for a sequel that invites questions like:

Sending an massive exhibition to another galaxy isn't that unusual a story in sci-fi. They've even had a few Star Trek pilots written with that in mind. If you look at the Mass Effect universe as being pretty much explored and populated trying to find a new place to fill up makes sense. Story wise it lets them make up a lot of new stuff while bringing enough familiar elements to keep people comfortable.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

But the Mass Effect galaxy isn't. There are inactive Relays, whole sections of space that can't be reached because there's no way to get there.

But let's just do a massive construction project and fire it off on a six-hundred year journey, because...

EA is just trying to keep Mass Effect alive and as far away from The End as possible. I am not convinced that setting this in a galaxy completely removed from the normal one, which will either have nothing in common or strange palette swaps of things we already know, is the best idea. However, I'm also not sure what idea they could go with given the sheer insanity of ME3's ending and the response to it.

Remember what happened the last time someone reactivated some relays and went through? Hello Rachni.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

The writers trying to get away from the "It's the end of the world but I need to mine this ore for the widget" mechanic is a good thing in my opinion. On the other hand I was always able to suspend my disbelief because it's a video game and we all want those widgets.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

what the heck

Seconded.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

But if you don't Nova you aren't hitting the ground with a shockwave like a superhero.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dragon Age 2 was a bad game that was rushed out the door making it worse.

Mass Effect Andromeda from what we know seems like it will be a much better game.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I just remembered that DA:2 was so rushed and ill planned they even forgot to make a FemHawke option until the last minute. Which would have been a crying shame since Jo Wyatt is awesome.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Skellybones posted:

So is there a mass relay system already in place in the Andromeda galaxy or will it take several years between missions to get from place to place?

I believe the implication for the human ark is that something causes it to be late or for the crew to wake later than the other arks. That lets the writers have the rest of the arks establish places to go and likely a mass relay network.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Okay so I was wrong, Adept in ME3 is Cool and Good now that I know how to do detonations against protected targets

Just got through Grissom Academy and the amount of physics objects flying around would earn grudging approval from Sir Isaac Newton

Combos are the bread and butter of the biotic classes. Once you get those down you become a glowing blue hurricane of death.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

I hope the new Mass Effect is good

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm glad we made a new thread to talk about Mass Effect.

I'm glad you could join us in talking about Mass Effect.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

I miss ME1’s energy management system for guns. Being able to completely change a weapon's purpose was fun (Taking a five shot sniper rifle and making it into a single-shot monster.)

The whole shift to ammunition was stupid, they should of stuck to a hybrid system where you could either wait for the magazine to cool off, or eject it and load in a cold one instead.

I want to say there was some mechanical reason for the change. But it was probably due to them wanting to appeal to the Call of Duty crowd. Besides if you modded certain weapons right in ME1 you never had to worry about overheating and the combat became even more boring than before.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wonder how long it will take until it's revealed that the human supremacist group Cerberus infiltrated humanity's ark ship.

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

euphronius posted:

I only ever used samara and tali in me2 for ... uh... reasons.

To have both biotic and tech powers available? It's a sound strategy. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mymla posted:

I brought miranda on pretty much every single mission because she had warp and overload, so she countered every enemy in the game.

She also had a passive bonus to party damage.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I wish Bioware wasn't so stingy with in game skeletons. It's what limits them to humanoid aliens. Blizzard has a unique skeleton for each character in Overwatch which is crazy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Yes but they're different heights, weights, widths, body types, etc.

This. I'm guessing if Blizzard had a need for a four legged model they would make it. Bioware seems to not want to invest the time in that kind of skeleton even though if could lead to some cool looking aliens.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

tayvaan posted:

I suspect that this has a lot to do with how they do cut scenes. A lot of in mission cut scenes include your current party in the background, I suspect that with one universal skeleton they can apply one sequence of animations to any character that might be there. If they do multiple skeletons they would potentially have to create multiple versions of each cut scene to account for whatever combination of skeletons might be present.

Reasonable assumption. That being said having an elcor do more than just sit stationary would be a nice bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Idris Elba is not an elf.

He's too street to be an elf.