Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

incoherent posted:

I just wanna know how hosed earth\milky way is after all those races stuck there after the explosions of the gates. Sures, its 600 years after ME3 but they can't gloss over it.

They are absolutely glossing over it, there is no reason to canonize the post ME3 universe at any point. The whole reason for the franchise to another galaxy is to avoid doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Trast posted:

I wish Bioware wasn't so stingy with in game skeletons. It's what limits them to humanoid aliens. Blizzard has a unique skeleton for each character in Overwatch which is crazy.

I suspect that this has a lot to do with how they do cut scenes. A lot of in mission cut scenes include your current party in the background, I suspect that with one universal skeleton they can apply one sequence of animations to any character that might be there. If they do multiple skeletons they would potentially have to create multiple versions of each cut scene to account for whatever combination of skeletons might be present.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Man, they're obviously keeping Andromeda for last. Bioware must be betting on it being impressive.

I think its more that they see Andromeda as one of the big draws so they want it last to keep everyone watching the whole thing

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

No kidding. I'm not expecting them to do a CD Projekt Red and make eye and eyebrow movements so nuanced I can read Geralt's mind, but there has to be something there. From the nose up that is plainly a puppet.

It probably makes a difference that you can customize Ryder's face but not Geralt's. It does look rough though.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
So the new Andromeda Initiative video mentions that the Nexus is meant to undergo further construction in Andromeda, in the gameplay trailer the inventory screen they show has a bit in the top right corner referring to a 'Nexus level' or something like that. I suspect that one of the meta objectives in the game will be gathering resources to complete the construction of the Nexus, probably analogous to gathering inquisition power in DAI or war resources in ME3.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Why do you think they're doing a soft reboot, if not to get a do-over of the things that didn't go over well?

Player choice was such a key part of the ME trilogy that I think no matter what the reaction to the ending any further ME games would try to avoid making any of those choices canon.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
If you can actually do resource gathering without getting out of the Nomad that's a pretty big QoL improvement from most RPG's with resource gathering. One of the things I hated from DA:I was that I had to get off my mount every time I wanted to gather something so eventually I stopped using the mount all together and just moved on foot.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Mymla posted:

Was the horse even faster than just running?

Either way I never used it because it prevented your party members from talking to each other.

There were definitely several issues with mounts in DA:I, fair enough. Witcher 3 might be a better example of a game that would be improved by being able to gather resources while on your horse.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Utnayan posted:

It doesn't matter when you know what the developer has become :(

And for that, just go ahead and point to DA:I.

Hopefully it is a good solid game and I will play it because I love the universe it is set in... But I do not have any confidence in this company any longer.

Welp, I have some news for you then with regards to DA:I combat, it's engine, and ME:A combat.

DA:I's combat issues have nothing to do with its engine. With that game they sort of tried to be both a tactical RPG and an action RPG at the same time and wound up being a terrible example of each. Dragon age suffers from not having a clear identity when it comes to its gameplay. In contrast I think bioware has a very clear idea of what mass effect is from a gameplay standpoint and nothing from what they've shown of the shooting in Andromeda looks like a deviation from that.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
I feel like any great author writing a mass effect game would just end up feeling hamstrung by having to write a power fantasy that constantly justifies the protagonist standing victorious on top of a mountain of bodies.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
I strongly suspect the 6th crewmember is going to be one of the andromeda species. And if not that a salarian to complete the set on the team. Writing for both the quarians and the geth got so tortured by the end of ME3 that its hard for me to imagine anyone on that team wanting to go to that well again. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any member of either race, to my knowledge none have shown up in any of the footage we've seen.

In other news

https://twitter.com/thejustinperez/status/821168271105945602

Curious to see how far they go with weapon crafting

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Just had a thousand-yard-stare moment remembering crafting in DA:I.

I mean, as long as the devs don't completely invalidate in-game loot this time out, I think we'll be fine, but man...

Only feelings I had towards DA:I crafting were
1. The interface was terrible, I think you had to go between different crafting stations to make components and the final product which also sucked.
2. It was really cool that the materials you used affected the appearance of the item you made.

I hope they streamline the first and expand upon the second.

Crafting vs drops viability I can't be bothered to care about.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Android Blues posted:

If this is actually indicative of the scale of the game in comparison, that would be pretty ludicrous.

Remember that this is the first game bioware is making that isn't bound by the xbox 360/ps3 hardware. Makes sense that it would have a lot more going on.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone else feel that the advertising and overall hype for this game seems unusually low considering how soon its coming out? I mean I thought ME:3 was an abortion and am waiting on this with a tenuous glare but still it feels weird.

It does feel weird but at the same time if they release a 45 minute gameplay stream and a good trailer in February/ early March I don't think any of this drama over the marketing will matter at all.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Two months out and we saw all of this stuff months and months ago. There is no new information here and certainly no "major changes" being revealed.

But I guess someone said earlier that this is normal for Bioware so it's fine. It's not, of course - go back and look at any previous Bioware release - but, hey.

Who cares unless this is still the case right before the game actually comes out? I'm not sure why anyone tries to read the marketing tea leaves after Doom.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
The more I think about the marketing issue the more I think that a big marketing push right now probably doesn't translate into all that many sales and the relatively small amount of marketing could be EA realizing that.

The idea that they aren't marketing the game much because they think its bad doesn't feel right to me. I feel like if you have an expensive AAA game that you're afraid is going to be poorly received the thing to do is crank up the marketing and get as many preorder / day one sales as you can before word of mouth tanks you, watch dogs and destiny were good examples of this.

That's not to say the game won't be bad, it absolutely could be. But I don't think there is a point to making a judgement right now, I haven't pre-ordered and I don't really plan to until like an hour before release if we have a lot more information at that time.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
EA access members get to play ME:A for 10 hours starting March 16

https://www.ea.com/eaaccess/news/th...s=1484945347563

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Bud K ninja sword posted:

ooooh

is that just the xbox version or is there a pc equivalent i can sub to for a month?

That page is just talking about ea access and not origin access, but I don't know why they wouldn't do it on both. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
To be fair having an access subscription gives you a 10% discount on purchases so if you end up buying the game you aren't paying any more.

If its a dud you are out $5 though, for sure

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Zakmonster posted:

One of the reasons I didn't enjoy DA:I as much was because of the relatively lack of power interactions and combos as compared to ME3.

Especially in MP when you'd be playing characters that might not be able to combo on their own and you had to work with your team. DA:I had much less of that, although it did have the more classic tank/DPS/support roles in its MP.

Some of the most fun I had in ME3 MP was working as a two man biotic team with one primer and one detonator, explosions for days.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

So the Neogaf poster was right about the trailer coming out before this weekend.

Let's see if it will turn around the skeptics like they said the trailer would.

Its a cinematic trailer so hopefully we see better animations.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone else a bit disappointed that they went with the m/f protagonist again? I mean, I'd have preferred just one, don't care which sex, and another party member that is voiced and fleshed out. Having duplicate characters with a different voice and one with boobs doesn't really do much.

Strongly disagree, the degree to which Bioware lets you define your player character in their games is one of their best features.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
New trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNG_szaXNNU

Pretty short but you get a decent look at all of the announced party members.

Edit: Beaten :(

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
New andromeda initiative briefing as well. More info on the pathfinder team

https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub/pathfinder-and-team

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
Didn't spot any issues with the animation so that's a positive sign. Also genuinely like the look of the crew. Not much else to be gleaned from today's trailers I think.

Speculation: I bet the Angarran we get a close up of is the last unannounced party member.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

SAM is inside you and all of your crewmembers already. So yes.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
Funko pop preview: https://funko.com/blogs/news/coming-soon-mass-effect-andromeda-pop-s

These things look hideous to me but it seems to confirm that the Angaran with the visor over one eye is Jaal and potentially the 6th squad member

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Drifter posted:

So tell me again why the races sent out the arks? There are more planets than they know what to do with left in the original galaxy - they haven't colonized them all.

They took the arks but it's not like anyone was running out of room.

Scientific achievement and curiosity not enough? That's more or less what got us to the moon and (hopefully) to mars at some point in the near future. Sometimes its ok to do things just because its rad as hell.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The genophage seems like it was portrayed pretty wildly differently from scene to scene. Where the game treated it often like it was near total sterility but then also realized they had to explain how there could be so many krogans around and realizing that meant it had to have a pretty minor effect.

I always interpreted it as a difference in perspective, its easy for salarians and turians to say its not a sterility plague and just normalizes the krogan birth rate but they don't live in the reality of hundreds of corpses born to hopeful mothers.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Kavak posted:

Why couldn't this mission have been launched during ME3? It'd be gone well before the endings caused anything. Or they could just say "Select people knew the Reapers were real and took it upon themselves to preserve their civilizations" and we'd accept the early launch.

Looking at all the messaging around this game it seems like they want to tell a story about explorers, if the mission was launched due to fear of the reapers it stops being a story about explorers and becomes a story about refugees.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Kavak posted:

I get that refugees are a politically loaded topic, but explorers don't bring along a city's worth of people with them. If you're exploring to try and find habitable planets to settle on, you're either in desperate need of a new home or just looking for more living space.

Whether its politically loaded or not is irrelevant, its about the tone they want for the story. To your second point its a one way trip so you bring everything you need to be self sufficient at your destination.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

They could actually make a sort of decent premise.

The asari (cuz they were around longest) have been planning on an intergalactic journey and have almost perfected the technology. During the reaping they finish it and decide to offer an olive branch to the other citadel races and launch in secret. Hand wave away the logistics and there ya go. It was already in development.

Make it so everything was ready except communications and they just launch without it in the face of certain annihilation.

If you make that the premise then you stop being explorers and become refugees which completely changes the tone of the story.

Columbus crossed the Atlantic and NASA landed on the moon without annihilation driving them forward I'm not sure why similar motives can't apply to travelling to a new galaxy.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Because it doesn't make sense to send people 600 years away when you have 99% of a galaxy left to explore. That's why.

Its less that people are being sent and more that people want to go

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

Hey folks,

There's a little tidbit of info I wanted to share that twitter didn't seem like the right medium for, so I thought I'd give it to y'all here.

By default, most guns in the game (the Milky Way ones, at least) work via disposable thermal clips, like in ME2 and 3. This is the "default user experience" for most guns in MEA.

However! Since we know some of you prefer the old-school approach, we have something called the Vintage Heat Sink. This is a piece of ME1-era tech that you can use when crafting a weapon to make it work more like the guns in ME1 did, with endless ammo but an overheat mechanic, rather than using disposable thermal clips as "ammo." So if you want your Avenger or Carnifex (or whatever) to behave ME1-style, that's entirely possible.

Anyway, I thought some of you might appreciate that. :)

:ph34r: *smokebomb*

source: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/3649/vintage-heat-sink

Seems interesting

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's just referring to how dialogue choices are divided up heart/head and I think professional/unprofessional. Heart just refers to a passionate response as opposed to a thoughtful 'head' response.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah nice. And one more thing - I found the first mission somewhat challenging. Wound up being really low on health with no healing packs there toward the end. Also I felt like the map sucks a little, but the one thing that actually got on my nerves was the timer. I hope there aren't a ton of timed missions like that. Other than my griping, I really enjoy the rest, it seems like a cool setting.

I think there is one more towards the end of the game and another that is part of a sidequest but thats about it.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5t13cs/info_from_pc_gamer_uk_march_issue/

I guess PC Gamer UK has some andromeda info this month

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I enjoy Mass Effect 3 but overall less so than the other entries in the series. When the others were released, I would consider them both 10s, 3 I would consider a 7. Mass Effect 3 had more problems than the ending. The overall story was the worst of the series. Some missions were good, other parts of it felt rushed to get the game out the door. Those Shep dream sequences were all terrible. They dumbed down the dialogue wheel. Like having multiple options on what to say? Now you get half as many. The art direction was worse, the available party members were worse. The quest log system wasn't as good as 2, certain quests could get bugged as unfinished.

The gameplay and addition of multiplayer were about the only things better in 3 than 2. Normally gameplay being better in a sequel leads to an overall better game but in one where the story is a major factor, it didn't. A lot of the problems from 3 look like they might have been fixed in Andromeda, I hope so. At the very least this one wasn't rushed. That alone is a good sign.

The thing about ME3 is I think the story is fine conceptually but bioware really failed to tell it effectively. I'm playing through it again right now and its interesting how disconnected the dialogue feels. Everyone is constantly telling you about how the war is inflicting massive suffering on the galaxy but it only occasionally shows that stuff off, and when it does it feels clumsy and manipulative. I feel like the structure of the game isolating you from the worst of the conflict does the game a significant disservice. Compare it to Velen in the Witcher 3, its so much more effective at conveying just how hosed everything is because it makes it pervasive. Everything you look at is touched by the ongoing conflict in some way.

After writing this I'm now thinking that one of the biggest problems of ME3 is that it is really hard to tell a story where the main thing the characters are reacting to is happening outside of the player's perspective.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I get it, but this...

Right. The point of marketing is to sell a product. (I know, I'm being brilliant and giving unique insights onto the fundamental nature of reality, but please hold the applause and throwing money until the end of the lecture.) Which means giving this tiny bio for Drax is supposed to say why we'll love Drack and put him in the party and get sick to death of Drack related memes. We can only act on the intel we get, so any pre-release opinions on Drack have to be based on this. And this says "We know you liked Wrex. So here's another Wrex without any of the things that made Wrex interesting." It feels like a Rhajat thing. Just going with what was popular before in hopes that repetition will be popular again.

I like Mass Effect. But a lot of the things I liked are gone now, one way or another, and so they have to sell the new game on its own merits. And so far, none of the companions interest me. I mean, I've been wrong before. (Like with Vega. Thought he'd suck, turned out he was alright.) I'll be wrong again. But right now, I'm not sold, and I like to think that it's the duty of the company to make a product worth buying and convince the customer of that fact, rather than the consumer's duty to convince himself. But as I said, I've been wrong before.

You reduce any character in this series to a sentence or two and any of them will sound boring. Whether a character works or not has very little to do with the premise you're starting with and a lot more with execution.

Look at Mordin, you could describe him as "A brilliant Salarian scientist and STG operative, Mordin's hyper active personality belies a dark past."
This is accurate and also sounds pretty lame. But Mordin works as a character because of all the well realized personality quirks and nuances he has, the stuff that you can't show in marketing effectively.

That's not to say whether the characters in Andromeda will be good or not, I have no idea and really nothing to go on at this point. I just think taking a brief description meant to be a surface level first impression and judging the quality of the whole character seems a bit silly. Also unnecessary, if you're interest hinges on whether these characters have depth or not wait for a few days after release and all the information you could want will be readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I played Mass Effect 3 tonight. I'm not sure why. I didn't remember much about it. Somehow, though, I do have a DLC pack that gives you a sniper rifle that fires exploding bullets, so maybe the old ME1 craziness is not as forgotten as we think.

This is a pretty wild game. A lot of the writing is dumb, dumb, dumb - the main plot hops from one oo-rah war-game cliche to the next with a disorienting lack of coherence - but as you step away from the critical path, the mawkishness gives way to some genuine pathos, and the characters get a chance to show their detail. And I've still got Tuchanka ahead of me. It's still got a lot of the same old stiff animations (I half-expect to see that one gesture from Jade Empire), but at other times they clearly really stepped up their game in terms of spectacle and presentation, with the direction of individual scenes achieving a clarity that's often missing from their earlier work.

And, of course, the game design is pretty much Goldilocks. I can't find any negatives. We all remember how the character-building in ME1 was bloated to the point of tedium, then they trimmed so much fat in ME2 that they nicked the bone - but it's the little things, too. More dialog has been liberated from trees, the environments are compact, and they even managed to make scanning interesting by adding an element of risk to it. The level design both plays better and looks more natural than before. Even though the War Score system ended up being meaningless in the end, along the way it's pretty cool seeing a paragraph or two about the outcome of virtually every single decision or side objective in every single mission.

I said it when it was new, and I'll say it again now - despite the huge, obvious problems that everybody hates for good reason, Mass Effect 3 contains some of Bioware's very best work. So I got a pretty good feeling about Andromeda.

I just finished a playthrough of the trilogy this past weekend and I pretty much agree with you on ME3. There are some fantastic little character moments sprinkled throughout that game, Javik and Garrus in particular have some really great moments. The battle to retake earth is also a pretty great set piece. That said, in playing it again it becomes really obvious that that game just did not get enough development time. Things like side quests, scanning, upgrades, and even the war score mechanic seem like it was just thrown in or only half implemented.

Honestly one of the things that has me most hopeful for Andromeda is that they've been working on it for five years, long enough to really flesh out the systems in that game. Whether they have or not we'll see but at least they've been given the opportunity.