Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

redreader posted:

I started playing mass effect 3 a while ago and since I play on my couch, my mouse is already a trackball and sucks. I wanted to use a controller. Now I have a steam controller and I figure I can get mass effect 3 working with this and enjoy it. Can someone tell me how to do this, please?

I haven't tried it with ME3 myself (ME2 version worked great), but someone released a mod that enables full 360 controller support:

http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/407/

And, of course, a steam controller can pretend to be a normal xbox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

It's pretty hilarious that the start of ME3 is a direct continuation of Bring Down the Sky,

Wrong batarians.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I misremembering, or was Arrival done by a different team than the core game? Maybe the ME3 MP studio?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It'd need to be a more complex system (like a qr code), because there were more sliders and they had finer divisions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Teron D Amun posted:

simply have a counter that checks how often you used a certain weapon then have the most often used weapon on display during cutscene X
dont even need to address biotics as they too use weapons even if you only use it to blow off shields with it

Point is accounting for different weapons means more animation work (or even mocap), because holding different weapon classes uses different poses. Automating the skeleton to adjust to the weapon would inevitably look jankier and lead to visual bugs, at least not without additional work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I'm thinking 100% because there is no other way to explain that waddle run FemShep did in ME3.

That looked bad on dudes as well.

The one anecdote I've heard regarding that animation, and this was ages ago so no idea what the source was, is that they were constantly hitting their memory cap on consoles and looking for any way to reduce memory usage. And that waddle is one tiny example of that.

I mean, it would at least explain why they'd replace a perfectly serviceable animation from the previous games with that abomination.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did DAI have controller support on the PC? World prefer to play this with a pad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The old leak with the jet pack is probably the most compelling marketing material Andromeda has.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Android Blues posted:

The fact that the jet pack doesn't appear to be a free movement flight/hover mode but instead is just a scripted jump forward is so sad after how juicy that leak sounded.

WHAT.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Android Blues posted:

The gameplay trailer before the most recent one has a segment where Ryder jump packs over some acid in order to harvest a mineral on the other side. It looks like a short, fixed distance hop.

Maybe there's an upgrade, maybe they just wanted to make a small hop. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why are people calling that a jetpack assisted charge? It's just the biotic charge mid jet jump, no? (Or is that what they mean?)

E:i guess that is the intended meaning. I was thinking the jet was used in the actual charge.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 6, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you for some strange reason don't have ME2, it's free on Origin right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Every single piece of evidence points to this game just being a huge mess

Not really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Serf posted:

Now I'm reminded of how good Jade Empire was. Wish they'd make another.

What did you like?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cause it makes them look more human and more relatable, which is a bit of a lazy trick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Something about Drack looks like he's out of a cheap cgi render. I think it's the ambient occlusion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Something about his bones reminds me of 90s cg from games like Planescape.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

It's because they tied loving animal bones around his space armor. PS:T loved bones. ME loves TO bone. the similarity is there.

Nah, it's something about the rendering technique, not just the imagery.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The DLC is pretty rad, though.

Did you play the DA1 DLC?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes? Most of it was pretty good and the DLC he's talking about, Warden's Keep, was very good.

Glad you enjoyed it. I really didn't like any of the non-Warden DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd rather not know, honestly. I hadn't even realized we knew the names of the human followers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

I'm probably just really bitter still that they put him as DLC instead of including him in the goddamn game from the get go.

That poo poo kinda taints the whole experience.

I think stuff like that contributed to the explosion around the ending. There was a whole lotta bad will towards Bioware at release. Some more, some less justified.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they paywall this time around.

I think EA has smartly learned it's not a worthwhile practice. DA:I had none of this bullshit, iirc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Haha just kidding, everybody hosed the sexy blue spacebabe in ME1 anyway.

Need official Bioware stats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jfood posted:

Crying shame Danny Trejo is such a terrible voice actor, he'd make the best Krogan.

He was fine in New Vegas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Also the preview event that the embargo just ended for?

Outlets (at least Giant Bomb) only being allowed to talk over already released trailers, is what he's referring to I think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I do hope the frame rate issues IGN mentioned get fixed with a day one patch.

Seeing how smooth it looks in the recent videos really impressed me. I don't remember how well ME 2 and 3 ran. Was it as smooth?

It's worth noting the gameplay trailers end with "CAPTURED IN ENGINE. REPRESENTATIVE OF GAME EXPERIENCE". That is, not recorded footage. Which I think is uncommon with this kind of gameplay (stuff that's clearly not cutscene or free camera footage)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's technically shaky at launch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

I loooove this excuse.

It's likely true, but this late in the cycle performances issues that everybody seems to have noticed, definitely raises a red flag.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(I'm buying the game sometime down the line, not just threadshitting.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

Don't get why a bunch of people feel this way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

isk posted:

ME1's animations and cinematography were pretty good for the time. I was certainly drawn in to the game because of the pre-release videos. Unfortunately, it seems like they've slipped a bit since then. Too little time, losing too much talent, or unable to keep improving and keep pace with the market - whatever the cause, the result is some good animations/framing with a lot of janky ones.

Also, yes - The Witcher III is a generation-defining title.

They used to be at the forefront of "cinematic gaming" (for better or worse).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I like how the wings aren't aligned.

What do you mean?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i could hit it from a couple different angles but i'll go with it's passing strange that they won't be having a beta for their highly anticipated multiplayer mode when they had a beta for their me3 multiplayer at a time when it was both unproven and expected to be a trash gimmick bolted onto the main game

If I had to guess, there are performance issues (as noted in previews) they hope to iron out before release but wouldn't be able to fix for the beta, and don't want the associated negative press.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Of all the stuff, I don't really find that gif objectionable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

At the time that ME2 was relevant, nobody was doing facial animations better with the exception of games like Heavy Rain which used extensive motion capture and had much less content.

True but also :shepface:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

But oh no, not in-game model shots from someone's Deviantart page! The horror :rolleyes:

actually, its funny

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Bioware is a gift to be treasured

[x]

Uncanny attention to detail

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GB ME:A stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fm_54DboE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For those that played, how's the loot? What I've seen looks worryingly ME1-like (lot of garbage). How's it compare to Inquisition (didn't love that either)?