Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RottenK posted:

Is crafting ever good? I honestly can't think of a single RPG game in which cutting that poo poo out wouldn't be an overall improvement to the experience.

worthless loving gimmick that adds nothing but extra inventory management and fiddling with menus

There's something really satisfying about staying ahead of the difficulty curve by building broken poo poo.

To conclude, that's why I like the Atelier games.

Lt. Danger posted:

For a certain kind of person RPGs are about lots of numbers, and crafting is the perfect excuse to make the numbers go up.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

financially racist posted:

crafting was cool in skyrim because i basically played as a crazy mountain man who crafted all his own armor and weaonry. it made the game a lot more enjoyable to me, especially because the setting of a game like skyrim makes crafting actually make sense and not feel forced in.

All Elder Scrolls crafting systems are great. Alchemy in Morrowind is the most broken thing imaginable and I love it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Serf posted:

Hardcore is always a mistake.

Yep. I started on hardcore yesterday, and then switched down to normal because it doesn't let you do any cool jetpack stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Getting real ME1 vibes. Game's good, but holy poo poo every time Addison speaks a line I want to cut myself. I thought I finished with her then she suddenly appears on Eos.

Also, I appreciate the Russian guy going, "Look I know having points to unlock poo poo in universe is really dumb".

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 24, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've just been deconstructing stuff. I've not really been short on money (but also, I've not really been buying much).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Omni-gel is back?

Not really, but it does get referenced a surprising number of times.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

sneakyfrog posted:

Casual is pretty much my chill Knight Ryder except when its super serious time, the dialogue is so dorky

I greatly appreciate how much of a complete dork Sara is. From the terrible terrible (in a good way) Suvi flirting dialogue to the waxing poetic at every opportunity about Prothean relics.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Turbl posted:

Drack is cool I went a long time without talking to him much and he sent me a mail guilt tripping me for never going to chat with him and it made me want to go call my dad.

Is that a real thing? Drack's the most likeable NPC in this game by a mile.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Number Ten Cocks posted:

There's no mention in any of the games that anyone other than one Prothean team ever figured out how to create mass relays.

The Geth repurposed one. The whole reason the Andromeda initiative could scan the Heleus cluster at all from the Milky Way is that they got access to a FTL telescope the Geth made from fiddling with a relay.

E: Beaten

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 28, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Admiral Ray posted:

If they made one that'd put them pretty close tech wise to the reapers, which would be awesome.

Hopefully they can come to Andromeda and finish their Dyson sphere in peace.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Haledjian posted:

Sara Ryder is the humansona of the "I have no idea what I'm doing" dog and I love it

Sara is by far the best main character Bioware have ever created (the only one that comes close is female snark-Hawke), and is probably the best character in the game (again, like female snark-Hawke).

This should be in the OP.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

...but sudoku are actually good?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They would be better if they used numbers instead of glyphs, there's a disconnect where you can't just think "Oh, that one's already there", because you're less familiar with the symbols.

Basically, I just want real sudoku.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrNutt posted:

I've been reading the new one in bits and pieces, and it's a hell of a lot better than any of the previous tie in novels by far. Drew Karpyshyn's first one was passable as a junk food read but still mostly terribly written; this is actual decent genre fiction and does a good job in fleshing out the uprising stuff and making it seem less stupid than it comes across in the game.

I got it for free with some Kindle credit and read it all on a long train journey. Better written than all the previous books and the game, by some margin. Reading it actually makes the game worse, because you can see what it could have been if there'd been some competent writers on the team.

Disclaimer: I've not yet finished the game.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 1, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Clawtopsy posted:

the lowest of bars

No-one pees on any cereal? Given them a Booker.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tei posted:

Just finished. Happy with the game in the end.

The game does have a strong ending.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fojar38 posted:

but i saw a 6 second mp4 of ryder screaming while doing something and i thought that proved the ending is bad

I can't argue with a 6 second mp4. Statement withdrawn.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why doesn't your dad do the thing we've seen scuba divers do on like a billion movies and just share the helmet? Why don't you just create a seal with your mouth over where your breather is? Why do we keep struggling to breathe the air we know is toxic?

That wouldn't necessarily work if the problem was poison rather than lack of oxygen, that might just be a very efficient way to kill both people.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Who's Hainly Abrams and why are they adjusting conversations with her? I've finished this game and I don't remember her ever appearing. Is she on Kadara? I skipped most of the side stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wiseblood posted:

The trans character who deadnames herself when making small talk.

Ah. I did talk to her, I just didn't know that was her name.

E: Unlike the walking exposition nodes in this game, Krem was actually a character. It helps!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 4, 2017