Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok I'm willing to accept the possibility that this will be fantastic.

All they have to do is maintain the characterisation, dialogue, tone and synth from the trilogy and I'll be all in. Base management bullshit be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ciaphas posted:

I never actually finished ME3 at all. In fact, I don't think I got more than about half way in.

I should correct that one of these days, yeah?

Yeah. Regardless of what happens at the very end, the way most of the main threads wrap up before that is excellent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/Cameron__Lee/status/795660976829988864

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

._.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm guessing all the cool ME races will be in this. Those without their own arks will surely at least have stowaways or small groups of volunteers/diplomats going along.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McGiggins posted:

I still prefer the ending the original writer was going for: The reapers are the good guys, you're the bad guys, organised organic civilisations utilising mass effect fields are hastening the entropic death of the universe by an appreciable amount (by machine standards). This is why the Reapers rebelled against their space-cuttlefish overlords and systematically cull the galaxy every now and then, as they respect a species right to have it's time in the sun and also be indexed, but also don't want their unlimited lifetimes cut down anymore than they have to be. Which is why they make new reapers out of the species they destroy, so the species they exterminate can continue to live on forever in some form, and not be forgotten.

TLDR; you a bad dude, space robots good, no two ways about it. Get over it nerds.

That ending in no way says the Reapers are good guys.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps not, they still turn people into techno zombies, but they have rationalized it as the best course of action using robot logic. They think they are the good guys, but mass genocide is never justifiable.

I'd say the mark of any good villain is that they have motivations that they feel justify their actions. I think the Reapers as they exist have this too though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inquisition is an ok game crammed into a terrible one. I really, really don't want that for Mass Effect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The combat could be fine, but that Brute-looking thing was taking a lot of hits before sync-killing Ryder.

That said, are these guys Kett? They looked more lanky and sharp-edged in the reveal video.

They look like something from SWTOR.

Looks pretty DA:I, but the sci fi nonsense and Mass Effect plot should keep me going to the end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dan Didio posted:

I used to know someone who got hired at CD Projekt. I didn't talk to them much after that, but they only ever had nice things to say about it, which leads me to believe that CD Projekt is some kind of hosed up cult because there's no way.

You hear horror stories about most Eastern European dev environments, but I've never heard anything particularly bad about CDPR. The fact that they do quality, quality work and have an amazing rep probably helps too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah ME1 had the best soundtrack by far because it actually stuck to the 80s sci-fi vibe.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zzulu posted:

DA:I had pretty boring characters, story and setting

Other than that, it was a pretty decent game

Except for the gameplay.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So this is good, right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't give that much of a gently caress about video game animations. :shrug:

Is this still Star Trek: The Game? This is the question that matters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SweetBro posted:

But Zelda is incredibly overrated. And Horizon is just another generic Ubisoft open world collectathon with a pretty setting.

All games that are well rated are overrated, as all games are terrible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far this game seems like a slightly crappier ME1 with the overarching gameplay of DAI.

That's fine I guess. The setting alone is enough that I'll probably play it through to the end (assuming I don't get utterly burned out on the open world crap like I did in DAI and almost every other similar game ever).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Having finished the trilogy prior to ME:A coming out. No. Just no. This is not like a slightly crappier ME1. I don't even understand what metric you're measuring here to say that. VA is mostly better, faces were poo poo in that game too. Cross-talk was almost non-existent and the "open world" was utter bullshit. So no. This is not a crappier ME1. That's your nostalgia talking.

I'm not talking in terms of visuals or the minute to minute gameplay. Both games introduced a new setting, and from what I've seen so far ME1 handled its worldbuilding an storytelling better. The best things from MEA so far are the species and concepts taken from the original game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the Angara are pretty well fleshed out as a race.

Pity about the Kett, and about the lack of anything else aside from some robots.

Yeah true. ME1 just threw so many cool ideas and races at the player from the word go. The first trip around the Citadel, just casually seeing poo poo like the Elcor and Hanar and each having a fleshed out story, that was great. MEA had the opportunity to do that all over again by pushing a giant reset button but chose to just not bother.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 28, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far Sara's never been much of a hard-arse or mean, she just seems nice and slightly overwhelmed all the time.

My first memory of Femshep is the way she told Joker she didn't want him to infect the crew with his disease.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

There was nothing wrong with the faces in Inquisition, nothing that drew overt attention to them at least. And some models like Cassandra and Josephine were very expressive and well-done for the time.

I'd say Inquisition looks better in quite a few areas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

anime tupac posted:

Sara Ryder, partially because of her cutely (intentionally) dorky VA performance, is my favorite character in this game. I know some people don't personally like the glibness or whatever, but I'm really particular about voice acting (I think Mark Meer is a cool person but I could only ever tolerate 1 playthrough of ME1-3 listening to because he struck me as so flat and dull it was distracting) and I think Fryda Wolff hits it out of the park. When she comes off as goofy and awkward it's 100% intentional because she's a good VA who knows what she's supposed to be doing.

I just told Suvi I want to bang her and Sara is my favourite stupid cuddly friend now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrNutt posted:

Liam's loyalty mission is real good ya'll. That said, sometimes Liam spouts of something that I can't understand at all, and I'm assuming it's intentional because when I choose the casual response, Sara says something like, "Yeah. Wait, what?"

He's the human male. They had to give him some quirk to avoid him being completely bland. Unfortunately the quirk they told was 'talks poo poo'. I preferred Jacob's 'my dad is a dictator over a colony of sex slaves' quirk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God drat I can never move on in ME games until I've exhausted all dialogue and missions. Just got to the Nexus after Eos and that's going to be absolutely impossible with this game. This kind of game really needs an in-built 'poo poo that's actually worth doing and people actually worth speaking to' list.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Daztek posted:

It's even worse, the greyed out options don't reset to white if there's new dialog for said option :allears:

God loving drat.

My 'flirt' option with Peebee never greys out. I'm just gonna keep doing it just in case.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Haledjian posted:

Anyone know how Scott Ryder compares? The impression I got from clips and trailers was "Space Nathan Drake," was wondering how close to true that is.

They never actually bothered to develop or voice Scott since they knew 0% of players would choose him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

busydelicious posted:

Also, yeah, I hate Tann's VA and how it sounds like he's just ordering a coffee or is being forced to talk to his insurance agent when it is really inconvenient. He definitely just wanted to make some extra money and then bounce.

You're saying Tann's VA properly reflects the character?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kurtofan posted:

have we tried blowing them up

We just haven't found the gravity well in the centre yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far I think DA:I is a better made game with far less evidence of rushing/being poorly thought through, but I personally prefer ME:A because I'm sucker for the setting. I loved DA:O but I preferred the setting in that isolated story rather than in general so in 2 and 3 it kinda flew over my head.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Halloween Jack posted:

I really don't care for Sarah's voice. Her voice reminds me a lot of Scarlett Johansson, whose scratchy, quavering voice bugs the poo poo out of me.

This sounds like you a 'you' problem.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobulus posted:

It's a small thing, but I kinda love the 'Cultural Exchange' hall or whatever it's called that gets set up on the Nexus after you settle Eos. It's this corridor with a bunch of VIs that tell the history of the milky way galaxy species, ostensibly for any friendly aliens they meet in Andromeda. What's hilarious about it is how it tries to neatly gloss over any problems to present a good face to the new species.

- The Turians and the Earthlings 'had a disagreement' but are now a model in how different species can work together.
- The Salarians helped uplift a bunch of species and this never led to any issues, nope.
- The Humans got a late start, but really think they can pitch in and do some good!
- The Krogan VI is just like 'I won't lie, we've made some mistakes', but claims the smartest and best krogans came to Andromeda to get away from all that.

And no mention of the hellish space mechagods whose invasion was successful as far as anyone knows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't seen any fucks yet, not even from a Krogan. :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Haledjian posted:

There was this weird moment in games (I think between ME1 and ME2) where saying "gently caress" was something that was just Not Done in the vast majority of titles. I think it wasn't until GTA/Max Payne and maybe one or two others that blatantly violated that taboo, the sky didn't fall, and everyone else started doing it. The same thing happened with explicit nudity more recently.

I remember hearing gently caress in the first Bloodrayne in the early 2000s and it being a really weird moment. Despite series like GTA doing it for ages before that...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are any PC players having performance issues inside the Tempest? The game runs fine pretty much all the time but if I'm in the ship for more than a few minutes it starts to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cythereal posted:

"Off-brand Star Trek focusing on a small crew of goofballs exploring the unknown lead by an inexperienced leader slowly growing into the role" isn't a description I associate with the original Mass Effect trilogy. It's different and I like it.

This is exactly what the ME trilogy was to me and why I loved it.