Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when the Reapers invade the Milky Way and steal the plans for the Andromeda Initiative, will they send a ship to pursue them to another Galaxy? They've already established that the Reapers are extremely fast moving through Dark Space, so they could probably catch up in the 600 year time span.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Humerus posted:

I know it wasn't actually a Bioware game but remember how in KOTOR 2 everyone was like "yeah the war ended but I don't remember how/it didn't affect me anyway"? Maybe they should have done that for the beginning of this game. Let the player say how the Reapers were dealt with and then just move on with Andromeda shenanigans.

Do you expect bioware to take any notes from obsidian's approach to continuity, after they spent the entirety of The Old Republic and its tie-in material retconning anything interesting that happened in The Sith Lords?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Steve2911 posted:

That ending in no way says the Reapers are good guys.

Perhaps not, they still turn people into techno zombies, but they have rationalized it as the best course of action using robot logic. They think they are the good guys, but mass genocide is never justifiable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still can't be as bad as awesome button spamming in dragon age 2 where enemies literally fell out of the sky or spawned while invisible to backstab you for massive damage.

They really should have made the arishok the main antagonist in that game, he was the only person who realized what a dogshit story he was trapped in. Yes, let's just sit at the docks for nearly five years doing nothing hoping the person who stole the qunari qu'ran decides to return it, rather than burning this blood magic infested cesspool to the ground.

Mass effect 3 might be mediocre but dragon age 2 remains the nadir of bioware games. It is awful to play, it looks horrendous, there are maybe three good npcs in the game and the story is a disjointed mess of garbage.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 12, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DA2 was also released during the height of the "games as art!" furor, and bioware was riding high from mass effect 2's success, so the grumbling at the time and the screams of entitlement were a lot more pronounced than inquisition's release. It also didn't help that the writers for the game got caught up in that ugly harassment campaign by angry fans, or how poorly the bioware social forums handled the whole situation.

It's nowhere near the crazy that mass effect 3 elicited but you can't understate how nasty dragon age 2's debate got.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Origins still has the standard bioware problem of "lovely final dungeon"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if resources are going to be a major point in the game. Even though Mass Effect fields are ubiquitous in the series, you still need to harvest your Eezo to keep making poo poo work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Granted the only bioware games I've played are the mass effect ones and Jade empire but the ending sequences in both ME1 and 2 were highlights of the game.

Mass effect 1 and 2 seem better due to their presentation, but in the end it boils down to "fight through waves of trash on star forge/citadel/collector base/capital city/kirkwall/london" before taking on a lame boss encounter.

Mass effect 2 does it best due to your loyalty mechanic playing into the ending, but even it has some hitches (why should garrus die from closing a door because I didn't help him find sidonus? Get your head down!)

ME2 is their most balanced game between story and game play but it's main plot is still pretty stupid. Thankfully most of the loyalty missions are so drat good it doesn't matter as much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Presentation doesn't seem important, it IS important. You can boil down one hundred percent of these games to "walk through an area killing guys" if you're so inclined

Mass Effect 2 is also fun to play though. While I found the run up the Citadel spine visually interesting, it still came off as a slog due to ME1's wonky combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trast posted:

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

Honestly, rather than the idiot fuckups that are Cerberus, why couldn't they have used the Terra Nova human supremacists group from the first game? They might be dickheads but they aren't terrorists, and of course they would protest not getting a representative onto the Arks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys are going to be so surprised when you find out the rock aliens were actually ancient humans all along just like the collectors were protheans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eej posted:

They are the descendants of the previous Andromeda Initiative, who themselves are the descendants of the previous Andromeda Initiative and then it's revealed that crossing galaxies led to a time loop

It's actually a crossover with Halo 4 and the ancient humans nonsense. Andromeda does share a writer with that dross.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually I've changed my mind. The Khett are actually Protheans who did their Andromeda initiative 50000 years ago before the Reapers arrived, and the reason they look a bit human is because they brought a bunch of primitive species along with them Noah's Ark style. Certain prothean sexual deviants started banging the various species resulting in the Khett, a bunch of inbred stone people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point I feel most of Mass Effect's appeal comes from the fact that there isn't another mass audience space opera RPG contending with it. I found it so hard to go back to Skyrim after Witcher 3 offered an alternative, but there isn't anything on the same size as Mass Effect that is competing with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

I'm really kind of upset that Mass Effect doesn't include a playable character in a wheelchair. It would add tactical options in combat, like if you wanted to move, you couldn't shoot because you'd be pushing the wheels.

Joker as squadmate. Giving him a wheelchair would be much nicer than forcing the cripple to amble across the ship each time he needs to poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If it varren for the ending me3 work would still be bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jack romance was really skeevy with the whole "heal ptsd with my dick" angle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

box art femShep was smokin hot, tho.

Shame that her ingame model looks loving terrible. Also, remember how goddamn stupid the "vote for FemShep's face!" competition was? Blond shepard was winning so a million BSN members started screaming that she looked like a bimbo whore until they changed it to the redhead. Because there has never been a green eyed redhead female protagonist before. It's only the most common special snowflake design out there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bet you all the species in Andromeda are the colonists from previous reaper cycles who jumped ship before their races were harvested.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kibayasu posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was falling victim to the Xbox 360 needing to swap to a second disc.

You know, it is a drat shame when the limitations of hardware lead to cut content rather than clever use of the resources they have. I know ambition always overreaches ability, but some games are absolute wonders with what they were able to pull off with the hardware at their disposal, while others are a sad list of what could have been concepts that were cut for time or limitations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They went from chill AI who just want to hang around in deep space to Pinnochio robots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it interesting how even as the technology got better, each Mass Effect game got progressively uglier. The first game had all the stark, sterile naval environments but also a very vivid color scheme. Then in Mass Effect 2 somebody slathered red and orange paste everywhere and hit the bloom button. By Mass Effect 3 all the colors turned into a grey sludge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lt. Danger posted:

Same, except the reverse because I remember what ME1 looked like

You mean clear lines and simple color patterns without excessive bloom?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

Nah man, you've got stockholm syndrome or whatever. DA2 was SO loving POORLY DONE that anything in that game that's not literally poo poo dribbling down your leg will seem fun or even enjoyable by comparison.

And looking back, you only THINK you remember liking it.

Reminder that kotor started with a space battle, dragon age origins started with six extensive prologues, mass effect 1 had a star trek distress signal mystery, and mass effect 2 had the exploding Normandy. Meanwhile dragon age 2 starts with you fighting puddies on poo poo mountain

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should just give you multiple voice options like in origins. "Warden Sense is tingling!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, dragon age 2 did have the murder knife so it has that going for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zane posted:

DA2 has probably the best tactical combat

Enemies literally spawning in the air, falling to the ground, and Dwarf Coterie assassins who spawn while invisible, backstab you for massive damage, and then poof out again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why exactly do you dislike about geralt if I may ask?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt that geralt's friendships were more genuine than anything in mass effect. He would never sell is friends out, unless he was offered a load of rare gwent cards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

The Witcher is terrible, and I'm always honestly shocked people who like to clown on Bioware for lovely writing defend loving Geralt.

Also the gameplay is god-awful.

Are you referring to the first game, or to The Witcher 3?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

The first game was much worse, but The Witcher 3 is still real poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKLk5IqOyw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alain Post posted:

they really are going after the "mass effect 1 was the best one" crowd

Only if there is a quest to chase a swarm of space monkeys five hundred miles overland to discover a silver alien info sphere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alain Post posted:

Can I gently caress the turians

So long as you don't ingest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least the star forge and archdemon dream sequences were explained in the games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wrex is just a poor man's Canderous Ordo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dan Didio posted:

They didn't cut him. Wall elected not to do the soundtrack.

Instead getting Clint Mansell, aka the bastard responsible for the Requiem for a Dream/Tower song that was everywhere for the better part of a decade on "epic" youtube videos.

The Mass Effect 3 soundtrack is pretty bad, cheaply emotionally manipulative. That goddamn piano piece is so over the top sad that any emotion it tries to impart onto a scene is undercut by how overblown the music is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Transmetropolitan posted:

She is the IGN reporter insert, right?

Why the gently caress they allowed that to happen again?

Because they killed off Emily Wong in a twitter update.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mymla posted:

Brain hemorrhage from repeated facepunches from cyborg space marine?

Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani is not Emily Wong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish that mass effect ditched the reapers altogether and just let you play as space cop because you were the only dude bad enough to stop a guy like Saren. I mean hell, Saren using cloning technology to bribe the krogan to his side and start an interstellar war between the council and the Terminus systems is an awesome story prompt with no need to bring in the reapers at all.

It could even bring in that whole "strong military versus weak central government" angle above and pin it as Saren's motivation. He views the council as weak and starts a war to prove their frailty, and it is up to Shepard to prove Saren wrong and uphold the ideals of democracy in the face of militants fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milky Moor posted:

"The journey from dark space has made the Reapers vulnerable," would have fit neatly and made the victories in ME1 and ME2 maintain some semblance of meaning to the player.

Maybe they would explain the actual "Reaping" as a food/fuel gathering event while they hibernate in deep space. They wake up every 50000 years, attack the developed species for biomass like Tyranids in 40K. They'd use the Citadel because the hunger leftover from their hibernation keeps them from operating at maximum efficiency, so speed is essential. So, with the Citadel plan failed, they need to dig into their energy reserves to reach the galaxy fast enough so they don't die of starvation. That would make their schizophrenic attacks in ME3 look like acts of desperation, as they're literally starving and throwing themselves at the species to keep from dying.