Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lobok posted:

No one has long legs. Magazine covers Photoshopped to hell and back give the illusion that people with long legs exist but it's not true. Andromeda is showing us the harsh reality.

But I have long legs and..

*wakes up with a jolt next to a dead eyed tentacle head*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FunkMonkey posted:

I liked the one that said that Earth's orbit was so cluttered with 20th century satellite remnants that it was actually dangerous to try to break orbit if your ship didn't have shields.

You probably already knew this but it's true. We're trapping ourselves on Earth with all the junk we're leaving in orbit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I didn't think the gameplay was something anyone would complain about in ME3. Shooting space monsters and space bad guys with space guns was the best part of the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

IGN stream appears to be playing from PC, it looks much better than the PS4.

I'll say one thing for that other stream - they may have sucked at the game but at least there weren't a couple of annoying dweebs talking over everything.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What the hell? I just checked and Origin is using nearly 1gb of ram. Also I can't update it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hey i know we like to joke around in here but let's get real for a second

these faces an animations look like they came from a game like 6+ years ago

not even joking

what in the absolute gently caress

The facial animations I could probably look past but the eyes. The eyes! The textures for them are way too bright and also I think everyone is cross-eyed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I really hope the game lets us play as huge gaping assholes. The renegade play throughs of the previous three were easily the most fun and I'm worried they're gonna lock us into playing a good guy that just reacts to different situations in slightly different emotional tones. There haven't seemed to be any really dickish response options in any of the gameplay we've seen yet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I am just straight up not enough of a sociopath to ever take any of the renegade options in 3

You must be a really good person for taking into consideration the feelings of those people that don't exist.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

'
Feeling empathy for 'people who don't exist' is literally the point of drama, etc.

I felt plenty of empathy. For Shepard. The poor guy that had to put up with all these drat idiots and freaks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

But the majority of the reviews and impressions are positive?

The reviews are "Eh it's ok. Few problems here and there. Few things we liked."

It's going to be an astoundingly average game. Which is fine, I guess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I don't mean to say everything is perfect- I think we're all well aware that the animations are, in fact, hilariously bad. But Polygon, Kotaku, Eurogamer, and IGN all had generally good things to say.

Don't those particular companies tend to say generally good things about everything? Like, the lowest review they'll give something is a 7/10?

I'm pretty sure I saw a panel from one of those that said the game had a lot of bugs and crashed a lot more than they'd like.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The IGN preview from the press event said that yea- but the same reviewer said performance was fine in the MP build at PAX, and the performance from the various streams seems pretty good, although I only saw the PS4Pro and PC versions streamed myself.

What's your point?
You said people weren't being positive, I asked a serious question because I want more perspectives- I'm not actually convinced the game is going to be good or anything.

I hope it will be good and it looks ok. It's Mass Effect and long as it's not broken garbage I'll probably play it but keep in mind almost all of the footage we've seen has been from the first mission (which is going to have had the most polish of any part of the game put into it) and other sections Bioware has carefully selected as ok to show in reviews.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milky Moor posted:

MAC WALTERS: Guys, new galaxy, new scenarios. What kind of problems should the player run into in the Andromeda Galaxy?

Silence. Day turns to night turns to day turns to night. The weekend passes, as do the seasons.

INCREDIBLY BIOWARE WRITER: I'm at a loss. It's too bad we solved the Genophage.

MAC WALTERS: ...or did we?

They solved it in the Milky Way after the Andromeda mission left. Same with the Geth and Quarians. In fact, all of the problems that existed in the Milky Way still exist as far as the Andromeda guys are concerned.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Didn't IGN score DA2 at 9/10 or something, and have one of their writers literally voice herself in mass effect 3?

They'd score it highly, even if it was literally the Bioware dev team making GBS threads into a box for 8 hours.

That seems like a fair review to me. DA:2 was the best DA:2 there is.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Where do I recognise Peebee's voice actress from?

E: I looked it up. It's from Buttfuckeer.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, oh no. I just watched the meeting Peebee video and they're reusing the Ryder is the only person that can interact with this ancient tech contrivance from ME1. The more I watch the more I get this sinking feeling that the plot in this is going to be a half arsed patchwork of ideas from the other games.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is that a Bollywood film?

No it's a short American film. Tightly edited and it has some deep themes. It's got some gaping plot holes though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3vjYRZ8bU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turbl posted:

Yeah I don't think you have direct control over their abilities but I know you can direct them at a specific target. And I'm guessing when you tell them to go after something they probably use one of their abilities but I dunno exactly how that works.

One of the streams I saw had a person playing it explain that you couldn't change your squadmate's skills at all and that we'd understand why later. Dunno if I missed it or it just didn't get explained but does anyone know what that means?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Holy poo poo. This review is scathing.

Review posted:

I’m at a loss. What I expect from BioWare is slightly dodgy combat, but splendid writing and characters. What I’ve seen so far is some decent enough combat (but nothing beyond what you’d expect in a third person shooter), and some of the most dreadful writing. I cannot emphasise enough how poor it’s been.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Drifter posted:

It's scathing, but John Walker is a retarded piece of poo poo - not for being an rear end in a top hat or anything, but for just being really loving incoherently and mind fumblingly stupid.

Anything, ANYTHING mouthbreathed out by him, even if you agree with it, should be taken with a huge loving grain of salt.

I don't know who he is or what his deal is but a lot of what's said in the article does seem to gel with what's been shown in preview streams.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Whether Bioware deserves it or not, I'm not sure, but I'm open to developers trying new things since the alternative is Ubisoft releasing a bunch of open world games where you climb towers to reveal a hundred icons on your map.

If this does turn out to be Mass Effect Inquisition - and there are a lot of signs it fuckin' close - then that's pretty much what this game will be. What's the difference between opening up a camp site/forward base in Inquisition and climbing a bell tower in FC4? What's the difference between collecting all the codex pages in Inquisition and collecting all of the animus thingamabobs in Assassin's Creed?

E:Speaking of climbing towers - guess what the Remnant quests for this game involve?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 15, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Haledjian posted:

This is pretty damning, but having just replayed the original trilogy, I'm kind of mystified at him saying he expects "splendid writing" from a Bioware game. All the stuff he's criticizing is thoroughly present in the first three games.

I always thought the draw was that the writing was not that it was good so much as good enough to get players invested in the Choose Your Own Adventure mechanic. It was never "splendid," it just went from above-average to below as it got outstripped by other studios.

My deal with DA and ME games is that they're the only game of that type there is. They've never told amazing stories or been incredibly well written, but yeah, they've been good enough. Just fun sci-fi/fantasy pulp. If other companies made these types of games I'm willing to bet they'd poo poo all over Bioware.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Apparently Kett aren't from Andromeda but yeah that it's besides wildlife.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't know what the gap is but the connection is 60-100USD they've already spent.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrianWilly posted:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTX6EZMkvs]t

Oh fuuuck. This is pretty bad even by space fantasy standards of writing. The AI flat out says "Your dad hid secrets in me but I can't tell you more until you do more quests." I wish the sex bot was back, at least it had personality.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milky Moor posted:

yeah, that line was dreadful. "the more you explore as pathfinder, the more blocks will be removed" - how, why?

I'm afraid you're not experienced enough as a poster for me to explain that to you. Ask me again when you've made, say, maybe, 10 more posts.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

RatHat posted:

Maybe it's supposed to be a security clearance thing?

Well yeah but just about what it implies for a moment. It doesn't make any sense on any level outside of a gameplay mechanic. The dad sat down and programmed in "Ok don't tell the next Pathfinder this stuff until they've explored 3 planets or unlocked 50 alien consoles or established 13 outposts - whichever comes first."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zzulu posted:

what reviews are those

You don't need to read reviews you can straight up watch big chunks of the game.

It's all painfully boring and unengaging. I expected to be glued to screen to see some new Mass Effect but there's nothing exciting going on at all in the first few hours of the game. Besides loving Peebee there's not a single character whose personality has stood out to me yet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DancingShade posted:

DA:O came out at the right time though - there was a massive void of good "big name" RPGs.

I mean sure there was good stuff like Eschalon Book 1 or anything by Spiderweb Software and so on but the average gamer has never heard of such gems and wouldn't consider them because they aren't all high fidelity 3D and so on.

If DA:O came out now (let's say with higher res textures) it would probably never have had the same staying power, wilting in the face of CD Projekt Red's work.

Nah I think it would still be fairly popular. What other party based RPGs are there that aren't isometric turn based things that a lot of people don't have the patience for?

E: More griping. I'm watching a mission they're on now and it's a cookie cutter copy of the ME2 mission to Horizon. Right down to the guy hiding and not wanting to help. Except it lacks all of the eeriness of the ME2 mission. Literally the exact same mission with the exact same objectives.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 15, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://youtu.be/AG2rcic9EXc?t=2294

Sorry Zzulu but so far the crew seem pretty dull. I really don't want to be making GBS threads on this game but from everything I've seen the best I could say is it doesn't seem buggy and is competent if uninteresting.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

Soldier doesn't seem to have adrenaline rush in this

:stare:

Say it ain't so!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is a more measured review from the guy that made that Reddit post for people that care about that sort of thing. If anyone wants to see footage for themselves but are worried about spoilers - I've watched pretty much all of the first 5 hours of the game and I promise you you're not going to get spoiled badly about anything important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRA-137jF-4

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FunkMonkey posted:

You're just saying that because Asari are pretty much elves, Sera is fresh in our minds and PeeBee resembles her. Let's see if that ends up being vindicated!

Peebee, from everything I've seen, is an improved Sera. Same kinda character but they dialed it back some. That being said she at least has a personality. I watched the initial meet and greets with all the companions couldn't really tell you anything about what kind of characters they are. Except that Drack is a Krogan and is exactly like a Krogan.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Martout posted:

looking at the MEA page in origin client and the standard edition can no longer be selected, not fishy at all

I can on mine. Restart it?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Torrannor posted:

At least Anders actually is your only healer if you don't play a mage (until you maybe get your sister into your party), so there's at least one reason to keep him around.

Sure there is. gently caress that whole city. I'm glad he blew up the Chantry and I wish it was a bigger explosion. He was a hero with a cool ponytail.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I dunno why people say they look like cats. They look more like salamanders.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rabid Snake posted:

Downloading the trial right now, 40 GBs.

Does this count as the preload too for the actual game?

Specs are 55gb of space so yeah that's probably the whole thing -15gb for future patches/dlc.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Apparently the 10 hours early access might not be 10 hours. It's more that you can play up to a certain point in the game or for 10h, whichever happens first.

E: So nobody playing early access will be able to see things beyond which Bioware has permitted people with press copies to show/talk about.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Veotax posted:

You can play up to the first open planet or something. It sounds like you can do all the content that's available on that planet at that point of the game but the game locks off progression after that point. So you spend ten hours wringing all the content out of that planet. Or play multiplayer.

Hopefully that planet isn't another Hinterlands situation of 'get out of this zone ASAP'.

The guy I heard that from said he'd played all of the first planet, done all the side quests and talked to everyone and it came up to about 6 hours.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I figured out what they meant when they said it will have quests like in Witcher 3. They meant that you'll hold down a button and following highlighted things on the screen for all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DoctorGonzo posted:

Sorry friend i havent.

I was thinking getting a ps4 for this game but maybe i should wait for RDR2 instead.

Do not buy anything specifically for this game. It might end up being OK once it's been patched but this isn't a reason to buy a whole console.