Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lamquin posted:

I've just started playing the game and reached a planet covered by ice, so I'm not very far into the game yet.

If there's one thing I dislike in single player games, it's the feeling that I need to grind resources to craft weapons and armor or wait for missions to complete. Back in ME2 I used a save editor to grant myself a generous amount of resources so I didn't have to scan planets (thanks gibbed!), while with DA:I I forwarded the computer clock to advance table missions.

Looking at the materials I need to craft things in ME:A, I'm getting flashbacks to ME2. Do I need to drive around seeking out mining nodes and placing probes, or does the game have an alternative way of getting resources?

You can buy resources in shops or break down weapons/armor. Use cheat engine if you want to just forget about mining forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lamquin posted:

Thanks for the quick responses, I think I'll have a look for a cheatengine table. :shobon:

You don't need a table you can search for an amount and change the value directly. It might take you 5 minutes but it's still way faster than grinding. The shops are randomized but you can leave the area and come back to reset them. The shop you want is the general store on the citadel to the right of the train.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If only the game developer had been competent instead of incompetent and made good choices instead of bad ones this game would be perfect.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zikan posted:

You spend science points to unlock a blueprint. You then have to hope the random resources gods have given you enough to build your gun or armor.

There's no firing range to test guns so you have to hope you didn't put in mods that make the gun bad or develop a bad gun. You can get around this by using the science station on a planet to r&d the gun, drive off to shoot some enemies and then reload a save before you research the gun if you hate it (this is important because for some research point categories you can't get a steady supply and thus have a limited amount)

It's a Bad System

You get almost everything you put into a weapon or armor back (including mods and augments) when you deconstruct it. You used to get 100% of the resources back too but I dunno maybe they changed that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Elotana posted:

Look you can't expect a hard sci-fi universe like Mass Effect to just up and invent some magic technology that lets you see things at long range in all directions

Like a quantum telescope?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I stopped paying attention to this game. Did any stuff come out afterwards (books or whatever) that tied up all stupid loose ends they left for a sequel? Like what the gently caress the remnant were, who the benefactor was, or who let the Ryder twins into space?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wow, so glad they're answering all the questions nobody asked.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's been almost a year exactly since this came out and because I'm bored of everything in my steam account and there's nothing out right now I want to play I thought I'd give this another try. I decided to look over the shitstorm in this thread during release to remind myself why I didn't like this (because I can hardly remember anything about it) and got sucked into reading some of it.

Holy poo poo that crazy guy Utnayan was 100% right the whole time! Everyone thought he was nuts (and perhaps he was also nuts) but everything he was saying about the behind the scenes development poo poo was spot on.

I'm not going to replay this.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

The weapon selection's actually pretty good in this. Guns feel distinct and there's a large number of them. You don't realize the variety until you try them out (e: and the stats are sometimes misleading). Some of the differentiation may be gimmicky, but it does give each weapon character.

It's just that the crafting setup and the shallowness of most combat encounters don't encourage diving too deep.

Wish there were more things like Kett bases, because at least there you fight more than a handful of enemies at a time.

There may be a wide variety of weapons but not a good selection. All of the beam weapons, for example, are a straight downgrade from every single projectile weapon.

I don't know where you are in the game but for the love of God stop yourself from going out and doing every little thing. The first time a quest sends you to one planet for one brief conversation and then sends you to another one for a brief conversation stop doing all quests that aren't party member loyalty quests or the main quest. There's nothing interesting or satisfying at the end of that tunnel. All of the choices you make assume DLC or a sequel that isn't coming. It's a waste of your time.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, apperently it got "restarted". Bioware won't survive not-destiny.

That's probably a good thing. Bioware dying might prompt another, much better, developer to take up the torch. I just want decent RPGs where the story is focused on the party as well as the player. I don't care who makes 'em.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great CRPG with a good ensemble cast from a non-AAA publisher that's worth your money.

Yeah it's pretty good. I'm generally not a big fan of isometric games but I had a fun with it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Is pillars of eternity any good? I see it's available for the bonx now.

If you like that kind of game yeah. It does a few novel things.

Cythereal posted:

I'm still kinda baffled how things even got to this point. Say what you will about the story, I think ME3 had far and away the best core gameplay and shooting of the series - it's the only Mass Effect game I usually play on hardcore or insanity, and enjoy it. ME2 was probably the best story, though the lack of gay options disappointed me in that regard.

I don't know who got it into their heads that Bioware, so good at creating tight, focused storylines and gameplay experiences, would benefit from going open world. Leave that nonsense to Bethesda.

People are too hard on ME3 for the endings but some of the levels in it are among the most memorable bits of game I've ever played. The Turian moon and returning to reaper occupied London were amazing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Those parts were cool as hell and I'm not ashamed to think so. After the build up of first two games actually looking up and seeing Palaven getting obliterated and Reapers crawling all over London was sick.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't it about time this got renamed back to the Mass Effect thread? How is anyone who didn't post back when Andromeda came out supposed to know this is the ME thread?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrianWilly posted:

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.

More so it's a game where you couldn't give a flying gently caress if you sent any of your crew members into the vents to die. Hell, if it were up to you you'd send the whole drat lot of them into the vents.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Look it's easy to poo poo on people that write videos game scripts because if they were talented they'd be getting paid to write literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Moola posted:

somehow I'm still disappointed, even though its exactly what I thought it would be

That's your brain protecting you for when Bioware somehow completely fucks it up.