Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Moola posted:

haha get hosed Andromeda galaxy

well

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1337259652220764163

also some info on the team making it:

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1337263676022112256
https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1337264042549727232
https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1337264866168426497
https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1337266838032379904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

If they dont do this, theyre missing a titanic opportunity

I dont think theyll do it

they should announce the new ME3 ending a month before release of the Legendary edition and pair it with a new ME4 trailer

this is money on the table

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

This scene was awesome and demonstrating just how bad rear end Thane really is. He was wheezing and at desth’s door and still schooled that goofy cyber ninja.

It was still dumb that Shepard and co. who are at this point laden down with anti-materiel rifles and drones and summonable black holes just stand there and chill

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Same. I was the only one of my friends to get everyone through alive my first time, and I was baffled that people made the wrong choices - Legion in the vents, Jack with the barrier, and Garrus leading the fireteams.

For some reason, picking Samara as the fireteam leader was really popular with my friends.

lol remember the people who picked Zaeed, the guy whose every story ends in disaster

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

ZaEeD iS a MeRcEnArY wItH mAnY yEaRs oF ExPeRiEnCe ThIs Is BuLlShIt

mass effect 2 thread was extremely good poo poo back in the day :rip:

people were so optimistic!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://lyricsaboutcats.tumblr.com/post/627664140518981632/asari-000-turian-000-salarian-000

lmao this rocks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Isn't there an Easter egg where if you don't kill Morinth, she gets turned into a Banshee anyway?

yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdduCg9N_s

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

lol that this literally amounts to

If "Morinth" = NotDead Then Rename "Banshee25" to "Morinth"

yup! not even an email

they also make Jack a Phantom named "Jack" if you ignore Grissom Academy

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

And Legion a 'geth assassin' in Cerberus HQ if you gave him to Cerberus in ME2 rather than reactivating him.

consequences!

although to be fair I'm fine with them going a little low-effort on poo poo like .5% of the playerbase did

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurieg posted:

TBF those vorcha you're running into are either members of the blood pack, or stuck on a space station where crime is functionally legal, so they're turned into an underclass and treated like vermin.

Looks like they do fine elsewhere. Also I think there are some asari who talk about having a vorcha dad or something?

Asari-vorcha offspring have an allergy to dairy and

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
ME2 was great but yeah, outfits on some of the female characters were not good!

like there's one mission where you're on the Derelict Reaper which is in orbit over a gas giant and you go out on a catwalk and Jack is there with a rebreather over her nose and mouth and otherwise not very well clothed, which seems dangerous! much better in ME3 where even Liara's default outfit at least looks like it could be armored and you can switch her to proper armor with a proper helmet

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Eimi posted:

With Mass Effect 4 Bioware has possibly one of the easiest softballs in gaming history. Just make Mass Effect: Sorry, and even if it's mediocre it will save the company. No more kid, Sheppard beat Harbinger's face in personally, saved the galaxy, and now there are more adventures. All they have to do.

it's so easy of a layup that I very much anticipate they will not do it

kilus aof posted:

Well not only did Bioware not clear the incredibly low hurdle of more adventures in the Mass Effect universe they used the hurdle to bludgeon a studio to death

They did like 60% of Mass Effect. It was some of the things you liked about Mass Effect and then a lot of elements that are basically the same thing (Nexus/Citadel) but worse and obviously attempts to recreate the ME magic without knowing why those worked in the first place

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

A literally re-use of everything from Andromeda just reskinned for Milky Way hijinks would probably sell 5 mil+ copies if they brought back the ME3 style multiplayer.

Here's your ship, the Local Flyer, and you are the glorious Relayopener who's been tasked to pick and choose which dormant Mass Relays to activate and explore the other side of, and once you find the best new sector reaches "explorability" you can get to send colonist teams in to establish outposts.

Just have Liara in the advising wizard role who constantly makes references to the good old days when she helped stomp out the reapers.

heck you could even be tasked to solve Problems on the other side of relays!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you never actually fire a bullet at the archon IIRC, you just fire at like some pylons near him and his big snake monster

what a villain

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

While this is true, I'm not sure if the distinction is important? You're shooting something regardless and dodging something regardless?

I'd like to actually engage with the big bad guy, not like, fire at some pylons and kill a monster I've killed like three times beforehand

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

MEA with 0 bugs or weird animation hi-jinks is still a really bad game tho

man they did not do themselves any favors with the animation/my face is tired/backwards gun poo poo. That alone probably cost them like several hundred thousand post-launch sales

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

I don't actually think the line itself is that bad, it was in the process of all the other stuff you mentioned being completely terrible that it came off the way it did as an absurd laughingstock. Like, imagine some weary administrator rattling off "my face is tired" as a hyperbolic way to describe feeling like poo poo, it's not that far-fetched. Unfortunately no one on the Mass Effect team at that point was singly or collaboratively capable of doing work that made it work.

yeah it's like, ME2 had some weird poo poo in it like that weird Shepard grin but the game rocked so no one really cared. With MEA you couldn't point to very much good to outweigh the bad

the worse line in her thing is when she goes "sorry, I'm resorting to poetry" after saying something not particularly poetic

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Exactly the wrong line basically if you didn't want to get made fun of.

You have a character named Pelessaria B’Sayle. You need a nickname for her

Do you call her:

A. Pelly
B. Lessy
C. Sari
D. The one that sounds like “piss hornet”

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

D. The one that sounds like "piss hornet"

they could have also named her something that would have resulted in a way less embarrassing nickname but they turned, faced their own goal, and rocketed a cracking strike right into the top corner

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

My issue with ME:A is that I basically didn't like any of the characters. I wanted to throw like half the crew off my ship and never had the ability to. Inquisition owned because I got to kick the annoying elements out of the Inquisition.

This is crucial, I think—in the case of Liam he puts the entire mission in jeopardy by divulging state secrets to a rando and the WORST you can say is “oh, you!”

Like I never kick anyone out but the option to do so is crucial

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

womb with a view posted:

You know they named her PB first. The full name 100% came after

even "PB" would have been way better than "PeeBee"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

Jaal sucked poo poo though. That guy was nothing but a whiny baby the whole game.

"My species is very emotional"

no Jaal, to you your species is normal and everyone else is really repressed, maybe you could show us instead of telling us?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I did like the epilogue that let you talk to a poo poo load of characters big and small. It was a cool moment. Drack is the best Krogan ever. The rest of the crew took some time to grow on me, but most of them did. Also, Jaal’s stare down with the Roekaar leader where he gets shot in the face was bad rear end, don’t care who you are. That moment was cool as gently caress.

I’ll give MEA this: it’s honestly impressive how much post-game dialogue your crew has. I think there are like four or five full convos

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I've said this before in regards to Andromeda, but one of the main design problems is that there are no real fail conditions. If you make the mistake of clicking buttons in the vicinity of your companions, they will end up liking you and you'll bloody deal with it.

This has always been one of the prominent issues with Mass Effect, wherein having three different choices lead to the same outcome will plague you right up to the loving Starchild climax, but feels especially pronounced in Andromeda because there just flat out are not any consequences to anything.

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.

This sums it up well. Previous ME/DA games have the possibility of characters dying or hating you. MEA does not, and I believe it’s due to the team’s perception that the core of Mass Effect is bonding with your crew

... which is correct. Except it only has meaning if you CHOOSE to do that. I go out of my way to keep my party alive and solve all their problems and generally be Commander Friend but I need the option NOT to do that, otherwise it’s not really a choice, is it?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kilus aof posted:

It more that that, with the exceptions of Neverwinter Nights(where the single player was an afterthought), Sonic(maybe never played it) and SW: The Old Republic(an MMO which removed things like companion deaths because players would be short handed) every Bioware game always tried something new with companions. Some new mechanic or system. So every new game there was a potential interesting new situation with companions that wasn't in a Bioware game before. Mass Effect Andromeda added nothing new. Every single thing it did was in a previous Bioware game. Which would be okay if they did things exceptionally well but they didn't.

It is the least confident game I have ever played, everything in it is slotted in from a previous game with the desperate hope that it’ll have the same emotional impact absent its proper context

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It’s still unbelievable to me that BioWare wanted to make a Mass Effect game — a series which purports to have memorable characters and interesting missions — with hundreds of procedurally generated planets.

You literally cannot have both of those in the same game and yet they thought they could pull it off because ???

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Pretty sure this is what the original team envisioned for the original Mass Effect as well, though I could be mistaken.

and then they didn't do it because it's impossible!

Also I remember someone mashed this up a while back so I recreated it. it syncs up really well (volume up on the right, down on the left)

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5fdfffa2cd78b-the-eve-of-the-reaper-war-mass-effect-3-war-of-the.php

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Andromeda is a game where some of the fetch quests will tell you to go to five areas to find a thing, only whether or not the thing spawns in one of those areas is random, so you have to go back to the Tempest and then back on the planet if it doesn't

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kilus aof posted:

Most of the guides and stuff say you just need four Pathfinders(including Ryder), but you are right if you pick one set of options and don't apologise she doesn't help.

Andromeda just isn't as mechanically explained as the other games.

One indictment of its quality is that even the wiki obsessives kinda skimped on Andromeda’s entries

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

This is more or less my view as well. I prefer all three games the trilogy, but Andromeda is a good game with a lot of filler content. Content that you can ignore and focus on the good stuff like the ark quests and loyalty quests, and poo poo like movie night. The fact that the game is as good as it is knowing the development hell it went through is mind boggling to me they had essentially built the game in 18 months, which is on par with Dragon Age 2’s Dev time. And while I truly love Dragon Age 2, Andromeda dwarfs it in scope. Not all that scope is good, but it’s better than having one cave where the exits just get blocked off depending on what quest you’re on.

Movie night is a fetch quest that lasts like 20 hours though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

the setting just doesnt have much thought put into it

they simultaneously wanted to be able to tell a "wild new untamed frontier" sci-fi story, but also wanted to be able to do traditional mass effect setting things like have the player murder more milky way galaxy beings that should realistically be alive

they wanted to have their cake and eat it, but ended up with a half eaten bowl of cake batter

I think something like 100,000 Milky Way folks come to Andromeda, and Ryder and co. can in a good playthrough kill a thousand of them, which is very bad!

If they added a zero to the end of the first number it'd probably have made more sense.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah they didn't think it through! A million colonists on the Nexus would be totally plausible and solves a lot of issues. Or ten million! there's a shitload of people in the Milky Way so you could totally find them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doc M posted:

And because it's an exploration vehicle, it can't possibly have a gun. Even after we've landed on a bunch of hostile planets where something tries to murder us every five seconds, we can't even consider installing a turret on this stupid thing for self-defense because it'd be unethical or something.

also let's not put a gun on the dang Tempest because ?????

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

There's also been rumors for years that Tali and Thane were planned to be bi in ME2 - Tali even fantasizes about a three-way with Garrus and FemShep in ME3 Citadel.

Wonder if anything like that will be added in the remaster.

Much like revamped ME3 multiplayer and a changed ending, this would cause more people to buy it so they 100 percent will not do it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Insanite posted:

I do wonder how that works. Some of that precious elevator chatter needs space to breathe.

I bet they just start it on the elevator and have it continue when you exit

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

God I mentioned it last page but the way the masks really came off some folks when a blonde Shepard had the audacity to win the first round of votes... Definitely an eye-opening "Gamer" moment that predated actual Gamergate.

honestly the various gamer shitfits over BioWare alone (that poor developer who they harassed because she wanted a story mode for DA/ME, the ending, etc.) feel like a direct line to gamergate

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

The bioware forums and the whole bioware social network (which now no longer exists right?) are a case study in how to completely botch community engagement by both letting staff who shouldn't be posting allowed to post while marked as staff and also give visible targets for the worst, most vocal members of the fanbase.

the BSN exists, I think, as a fan-run unofficial site

but yeah devs posting on forums is a thing that has to be really carefully planned or it leads to the dreaded "broken promises" target

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

She’s in the second game for about 20 minutes (before the DLC) and still has the best and most detailed character model in the whole game...

and they upgrade the model for the DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

it’s because the blood of a gamer courses through him, op

Cavill has used his position as a gamer who happens to look like Henry Cavill about as well as one could hope