Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Honestly, I don't think we'll see much of the krogan or the quarians. Both are probably too hampered by their circumstances to field a significant number on this mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/795694962327175168

The Dorito Pope has some serious stroke to get things like this. I guess I'm actually going to have to watch this stupid thing again.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Codependent Poster posted:

Me. I would. Right now. Get me as far away from this planet as possible.

:same:

I need this game now, so I can escape into a sick-nasty sci-fi future instead of this poo poo.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Regardless, he is a gameplay designer, not someone involved in narrative. His opinions are divorced from his ability to code, so Jack is just trying to stir poo poo up.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Moola posted:

I also prefer Mass Effect 2 EDI

much more interesting than sexy Data

That was the same writer as well, Chris L'Etoile. He wrote, Thane, Legion and EDI for ME2 and Ashley in ME1.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Yeah, it's time to give up the ghost on trying to apologize for the endings. Even Mac now admits it didn't go the way they wanted into the latest Gameinformer interview.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So, since they passed on a release date during the awards show, are there any upcoming big gaming events where they could do the reveal? The only other huge thing I think they could do is another Super Bowl ad.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 7, 2016

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Kurtofan posted:

any news?

No news until next year, IGN will have the next round of coverage. No release date until they enter certification.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 19, 2016

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

The Iron Rose posted:

Destroy and Control are legitimately good/interesting choices, if nothing else. The ME3 ending would be way better if there simply wasn't a way to get synthesis.

Now that we know the premise of Andromeda, I think low EMS Destroy is my favorite option. Burn it all down. :unsmigghh:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

I enjoyed seeing the CEO of Nvidia nerd out about element zero.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

BrianWilly posted:

How do I stop myself from seeing and hearing "Peepee"

Please.

You don't. You just have to...let it out.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Haha it will only be that if it's a terrible financial flop.

Yeah. The best we can hope for is that it will be like Dragon Age with the narrative being more about the "world" than a single protagonist.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

MadBimber posted:

peebee the 'rogue academic' LOL

It will turn out she conned her way into the Initiative, she actually subscribes to Conrad's conspiracy theories.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

marshmallow creep posted:

It's not just a simple jump forward, but it's not a hover mode either.

People are complaining about them not showing enough, but they can't even remember the little we've seen.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 6, 2017

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Drifter posted:

Or angry, given ME3 on release. :laugh:

I don't know. I felt the Bioware had more to prove after DA2, than I do about them failing to stick the landing at the end of ME3.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

You're right. They probably got a pretty good return in terms of eyes on their product for just posting a series of images to facebook and twitter everyday. Maybe you have a future in marketing, kid.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Phi230 posted:

My character's blank emotionless face twitched once, best RPG ever made. SO much emotion I cried IRL

The Witcher 2 was pretty underwhelming, I agree.

frajaq posted:

I don't understand why people still get worked up so much about Bioware/Bethesda these days, it's not like there's a lack of alternatives if you want good RPGs with depth and complexity lately

There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about them as developers. None of those points are being made in this thread.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

exquisite tea posted:

That would be a very comforting, very diplomatic thing to say if you didn't want to burn bridges with your former employer. Just saying. Either way the game was pushed back another half a year after the departures of Chris Schlerf and Cameron Harris last March, so you be the judge.

Or people can mean what they say, and you are trying to construct a narrative without anything to support it. In fact, Dragon Age has brought a freelance writer for the next game. He will likely leave before the game is complete. So, the fact that Schlerf and a freelance editor left isn't concerning if Bioware is leaning towards bringing in new writers temporarily.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

exquisite tea posted:

Constructing a narrative, huh... maybe Bioware should have hired me to write Andromeda.

I agree, you have some cool ideas when you aren't too busy shitposting.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

"Bouncing around" makes it sound like they're passing it off on each other

He's probably talking about the Edmonton and Austin studios helping out as well. However, Edmonton probably just helped generating assets for the open world stuff since art is the biggest bottleneck in development. And Austin? I don't know, they work on an online game so maybe multiplayer back end?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

[quote=
Aaryn Flynn]
Last I checked, we were like other Frostbite games on PS4 and XBox One - 1080p and 900p respectively. All are at 30 fps. PC has uncapped framerate. I think we've even gotten over the 30 fps cap in cutscenes, but I'll double-check in the next couple of weeks. [/quote]

Pretty much expected consoles, unfortunately. I'm glad they resolved that cutscene garbage on PC though.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

You can change your first name, but if you use the defaults they will sometimes be used in conversations. Likely by your sibling and father for the most part.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Phylodox posted:

Yes. It's my fanfiction. Original content, do not steal.

I stole it. Sorry.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Thor-Stryker posted:

I keep thinking about how much better ME3 would be if you were just building up space/ground forces to survive/kill the Reaper threat instead of the McGuffin Star Child.

Space Armadas take out Reaper destroyers/transports/Processor ships while Shepard leads the fight on the ground against Harbinger with the vast armies he's gathered throughout the three games, each making appearances in different sections to reward the player for their efforts. Living team-mates also contribute in various cutscenes to make the fight more manageable for Shepard and his squad as they bare down on the final boss. Shepard's final scene is him living/dying and saving/losing the galaxy to the reapers. The End.

Hire me Blizzard, this poo poo writes itself without the retarded McGuffin Star Child.

Yeah, I always thought it'd be cool if you could spend your war assets/score on upgrades for the final confrontation instead of them just being static. Things like reconstructing the canon that created the derelict reaper in ME2 or fitting ships with weaponry reversed engineered from Sovereign. As unbeatable as the reapers were meant to be the entire series is based around how far off schedule "doomsday" is this time around, and they never really play that up.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Looking at the Prima guide for ME:A, it looks like it is a little more than 100 pages larger than the Inquisition guide. What I'm saying is, it's a 100 pages of crafting material locations and recipes.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Milky Moor posted:

But I guess someone said earlier that this is normal for Bioware so it's fine. It's not, of course - go back and look at any previous Bioware release - but, hey.

Yeah, it's not normal for Bioware. But it is the new normal for EA imitating Bethesda. For example, going by some tweets Mike Laidlaw made, we probably won't hear a peep about the existence of the next Dragon Age until 6 months before release. Not that I agree with it, but that's the way it is now I guess? Fortunately, the EA/Origin Access will hopefully keep from imposing release date review embargoes like Bethesda.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

JawKnee posted:

I may be mis-remembering this, but didn't DA2 have a really lackluster marketed release? Also, how far back are you looking here? I don't remember a huge campaign for NWN for example, but I was fairly young then.

I think it starts with EA-Bioware and not prior to that. The Violence trailer ("the new poo poo") for Dragon Age: Origins was the beginning for big marketing for Bioware titles. And even though DA2 was bad, it had pretty extensive trailers and marketing.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Drifter posted:

I actually kinda like this direction because it keeps the hype from getting No-Man's-Sky out of hand. It's kind of nice there's not a shitton of hype.

I agree with this, hype-trains and raising the expectation of the consumer with over-promising is a bad thing. But, to answer your question, I don't like it because a business (of any kind, not just gaming) should be transparent about what their product is without a third-party (reviewer) having to come in and say "okay so this what this actually is". Basically, "buyer beware" is a lovely mode of operation and we should all expect better.

Super No Vacancy posted:

because the advertising commitment can vary depending on the publisher's faith in the game, or the amount of content in the game that advertises well. think critically

This is also probably why people care, but again, Bethesda is now telling us this is an old way of thinking. And other publishers are agreeing with them. So, only time will tell how consumers adjust.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Yeah, that was a Blur trailer, they've done one for every Bioware game since EA acquired them. Sacred Ashes for DAO, Destiny for DA2, Take Earth Back for ME3 and this one. Inquisition was the first not to get one, I think?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Australia has rated Andromeda, like Inquisition it has nudity which isn't unexpected. Really, I want to see what the ESRB has to say, they always have interesting descriptions when it comes to Bioware games.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

ESRB posted:

... clothed alien/human characters may prop a partner on top of a space console, clear away the clutter from a bed-slab, unzip a future-blouse, or just talk it out. Though an alien/human may gyrate her hips while on top (fleeting—one-to-two seconds), actual sex is never depicted—the camera cuts away to space furniture and ceilings.

Yeah, ME2 was their best one.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

The MSJ posted:

For context, Witcher 3 had full body nudity but no visible genitals. So in MEA there will probably be toplessness but everyone keep their briefs and panties on? And which is more intense between high and strong?

Nah, DAI had full body and got the same "strong" rating as Andromeda. Witcher probably got high rating because of the brothel scenes, it's the frequency (and sheer number) they can occur that bumps it up over DAI and probably Andromeda.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Miranda was already a squad mate, dude.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

And now for more of Bioware's preferred media platform: Twitter.

Also from twitter, like DAI the EA/Origin access version will come with unlimited multiplayer.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Kurieg posted:

What do you mean unlimited multiplayer?

Not restricted by the 10 hour limit that single-player will have.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNG_szaXNNU

tayvaan posted:

Edit: Beaten :(

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 26, 2017

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Going by the briefing video Scott and Sara will have different backgrounds as a replacement for the psychological profiles (war hero, ruthless, survivor). Scott has more military and combat experience, while Sara is a turbo-nerd.

Groetgaffel posted:

But, shouldn't the XO become the new person in charge if the top dog dies? Nepotism!

Her character assessment in the background of the video says she is supposed to succeed the pathfinder. So, it's going to be something like she caves under pressure or is responsible for Alec disappearing (and no one will follow her).

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 26, 2017

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Milky Moor posted:

Lmao is that for real??

It was founded before ME1, but doesn't launch until ME2 on the year of Shep's revival. So, I think it definitely started as a legit exploration mission and then it will turn out after the Eden Prime War it got suddenly got backing from the Council and Alliance real quick.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Kibayasu posted:

Next you're going to tell me that officers shouldn't be loving their subordinates!

The Council did say Spectres can do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

JawKnee posted:

Maybe I mis-heard the trailer, but isn't arcturus the center of the Alliance parliament? And the prothean archives seems to refer to Mars?

Those are not 'distant outposts' they're cushy, non-combat, 'your kids are too important for hard work' roles

Andromeda Initiative posted:

Scott joined the Systems Alliance military and was assigned to an outpost near Arcturus Station overseeing Relay 202. A primary route to Arcturus, this mass relay leads into contested space and has an unsavory reputation.

So, no he wasn't at Arcturus Station. Describing it as "near" probably threw you off, but it's near in relay terms. He was probably on the edge of the Traverse which gets raided all the time from the Terminus Systems.