Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

So was there any reporting on what happened in the news meeting with trump today

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/21/media/donald-trump-meeting-tv-networks/index.html

"The meeting was off the record, meaning the participants agreed not to talk about the substance of the conversations.
But a source in the room said there was "real progress" made with regards to media access to Trump and his administration."

ed: "reporting" ? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

when did this

get hotter than this

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

ценить поздравляю

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

cumshitter posted:

At the end of the day, even if it's college English 101 poo poo, nothing will ever hurt my soul more than just imagining that some jackass equivalent of Popof that we have today was roaming the country and comparing people's souls to a spider that God grabs by the rear end in a top hat and holds over a flame that's going to roast them for eternity.

Jonathan Edwards was hilarious about spiders in general. He has multiple sermons and letters about how he was so pissed that spiders just ballooned around between the trees on their webs "in a most unaccountable manner" that he went out and whacked bushes with sticks and tormented spiders until he could figure out how they did it.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

*Slides into thread sideways like kramer tokyo drifting, upsetting rugs etc.* gently caress did I already miss jughead chat i have so much to say on this topic??

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

OK well as you can see here from his first appearance in Pep #22, the first Archie story from 1941, Jughead has always been "anti-woman" in a sense...

But from context we can clearly see this meant more in the "dames, whaddya gonna do" sense. By the way, he is referring to Archie as "chick" here as the introductory panel claims Archie hates his name and prefers this alternative as a nickname. This angle is dropped pretty quickly but Bob Boling, creator of Little Archie, later used it as the name of Betty's older brother.

Anyway this "misogynist" characterization, like all personality traits of Archie characters, shows up to greater and lesser degrees in service of whatever gag each story calls for. Jug is usually shown as rivals with Veronica but gets along p well with Betty. He's also had a handful of love interests over the years, the most consistent being "Big" Ethel, but also including an abortive attempt at a love triangle in the 80s with characters named Debbie and Joanie.

The asexual Jughead is the one from the newly launched series by Chip Zdarsky, I guess you'd say it's in its own continuity in that all the classic stories don't have a concept like "continuity" inherent in them. This ties in with Archie Comics' latter-day attempts to seem more inclusive and therefore modern (lol but they still hang out at the olde soda shoppe)

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

As far as who Jughead would vote for, they try to keep the "gang" pretty politically neutral at least as far as supporting actual candidates, parties etc. Obviously it takes place in a pretty idealized, predominantly white midcentury small town so it's fairly traditional in some respects. However they also at least try to include some representation of minority groups, introducing black characters like Chuck Clayton and Valerie of Josie and the Pussycats, who if I recall correctly was the first black character to appear on a saturday morning cartoon show, and the recently introduced gay character, Kevin Keller.

In terms of actually directly engaging, you get horrible poo poo like this

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Al! posted:

so did obama gently caress sarah palin or what

look inside yr heart for the answer

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

do you have any insights on Veronica by any chance?~

The Lodges are the resident Rich People in town, consistently and without exception no matter what story you read. Even when Cheryl Blossom shows up in the 80s and they have to make up a whole separate high school just for rich people to explain why no one ever met her before, the Lodges still pull water.

Patriarch Hiram Lodge:

Is sometimes described as having come from a long line of wealthy Lodges (eg gags where they walk past a bunch of portraits of guys who look just like him but dressed as pirates, civil war guys etc.) and sometimes a self-made man a la Scrooge McDuck. Again, remember there is no continuity per se.

In any case, Veronica def. grows up in the lap of luxury. She has a butler named Smithers, personal maids, chauffeurs, and a giant house with a pool (which is the setting for at LEAST like 20% of all archie stories). Early characterization kind of just uses this wealth as window dressing - "She's rich! That gives her a whole different set of features to lust after compared to wholesome old next-door betty!" It also clearly placed her in a separate social class from archie, leading to situations where he has to exist in a country club or whatever where he doesn't know what the gently caress to do. Reggie is from a KIND-OF rich family and can kind of keep up, but he's not supposed to be AS rich, lol middle class

They've always made her really spoiled too. Gets what she wants no matter what, willing to play dirty tricks to achieve this or just for fun. TBH she actually had quite a lot of agency in a time when lots of female characters, especially in comics, didn't. In time, as B&V got their own title and became very popular with young women, they started to explore her headstrong nature as an asset occasionally. Just as often though, she's a spoiled rich kid who needs her comeuppance.

They don't really meaningfully interact with how her wealth changes her position in life in the "main" stories. Usually there's no strong moral stance, it's a driver of action and gags.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Reggie would undoubtedly vote Trump. Probably Dilton too, low-key little fuckin' stooge. Mr. Lodge would humorously consider him too low-class and new-money.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Pop Tate voted Trump cause he promised to help out the working stiffs just trying to run a chock'lit shoppe, but he kept quiet about it cause his teenage clientele don't want to hear that poo poo.

Betty was a Sanders primary backer but showed up for her girl day-of

Veronica was a JEB!ber cause her dad funneled him a hilarious amount of money, then switched to Clinton, yeah I agree w/ that.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

baloogan you're the worst

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

My guy ain't gettin back to me ;_; so smoke your bowl there are people who have to go without tonight

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Baloogan posted:

lol im eating a can of salmon over rice and desert is prunes!!!!

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

well, not WW3 against Russia, no

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

assuming any holdout shreds of humanity actually survive they probably won't call it World War III after it's over, they'll have to come up with some new term like the Great War became the World War.

probably as we regress into warring tribes and loosely aligned city-states there will form an oral tradition of the Time of Great Shining-

perhaps the Winning To End All Winning

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

TayIor Swift posted:

I'm 14 and what is the Arab Spring???

racial ability, like a disengage w a 5 minute cooldown

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

nerf white people imo

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

People on my facebook are trying to like logically disprove the claim that meryl streep is overrated. I shouldn't be surprised anymore but man how much harder could you miss the forest for the trees

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

It turns out any and all opposition to the end of humanity is effectively rerouted if you send the order to nuke in comic sans. Any idiot could have used this tactic at any time but we didn't realize it until we elected the idiot that genuinely appreciates that font on its own merits

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

At some point, after he's added himself, I hope Trump makes Mt. Rushmoore animatronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlKjRScXww

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJVmbDm2DCM

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

shiksa posted:

streaming service

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Because your piss

your piss is on my list

(because your piss)

your piss I can't resist

because your piss is what I miss

when I turn out the light

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

"aeroplane"

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

We have MUCH hacking going on

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

#1 Tricky

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

kemikalkadet posted:

Was the ramble about the mexico wall in response to the question about nazi germany?

The reporter crammed in about 3 questions, nazi germany, supreme court, the wall. He's workin backwards.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Russia, and Jyna, and...everybody

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I'm sad that the country is ending and I can't think of any way to stop it and it seems like no one else can either.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Can u perform a citizens' arrest of a president-elect? asking 4 a homie

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

OK but if you sneak up into trymp twoer in an old timey bell hop uniform with a pair of handcuffs under a silver serving dish they'll probably wave you through right?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

smoked cheddar imo straight up

& pepper jack

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Whenever I hear Frank Luntz I think of Frank and Lutz from 30 Rock, tell me it ain't the same guy right

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

IM sorry about your face blindness.

it's really just the name thing + two doughy white guys tbh

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

vs.

yep checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes