Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slamhound posted:

Catholic hate won't come back because Catholics own the Evangelicals and run the republican party. Creepy-rear end VP (and President Actual) is a Catholic.

he converted to evangelicalism a while back

ed balls, however, is anglican

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Phyresis posted:

a not-insignificant percentage of Americans still believe that witches actually exist, that witchcraft and magic are real. I guess that poo poo just don't show up on cell phone cameras, or maybe there's not a single showoff witch in the entire world. Cuz witches are known for their humility.

witchcraft and magic are real tho, source: am one, do it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just want you to know I read him too and like him as well.

But yea protestant colonial stuff is hilarious to look at because it involves being 100% certain Satan was an active force in the world seeking to hurt YOU, yes YOU personally not just the general concept of Christendom because you are just such a good good god boy that your faith must be broken...but also that the mere act of saying 'uuuh I believe in God!!!!" is enough to make Satan flee in terror.

Also if you want a fun read, try to find his "The Dangers of Apostasy" (something like that) book where he posits that basically everything bad will happen to you if you lose your faith, not just spiritually but like, animals will hate you and bears will eat your kids and poo poo.

I wish I had as much free time now to continue pursuing that demented mindset that was the protestant publications. If I could, I'd put Increase Mather and Hunter Thompson in a cage and let them figure it out.

I'd appreciate a summary of Apostasy, if you wouldn't mind. I just don't have as much time to read as I'd like.

At the end of the day, even if it's college English 101 poo poo, nothing will ever hurt my soul more than just imagining that some jackass equivalent of Popof that we have today was roaming the country and comparing people's souls to a spider that God grabs by the rear end in a top hat and holds over a flame that's going to roast them for eternity. I feel bad for the people who felt it then and I feel bad for the folk who are suckered into it now.

Why? WHy??????? Why would your conception of god, an extrapolation of yourself and your own possible greatness, be a being who delights in the idea of punishing you????

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Phyresis posted:

old timey puritan names like "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world-to-save Barebone" are the best

that's a real person's name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t27K053wagw

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phyresis posted:

a not-insignificant percentage of Americans still believe that witches actually exist, that witchcraft and magic are real. I guess that poo poo just don't show up on cell phone cameras, or maybe there's not a single showoff witch in the entire world. Cuz witches are known for their humility.

witches can't show off because then the Paradox will kill them and anybody who saw it go down will have weird memory fuckery

its like you haven't even read Mage

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

etalian posted:

I wonder if Puritan witches were sexy

i got a thing for witches and as an expert from what i understand from the movies they generally had to gently caress the Devil Himself in order to seal the contract (which was signed in their own blood, natch) and then they gained magic powers so like they could make themselves prettier immediately but as they get older it takes stronger and stronger magic to maintain the same effect so it starts requiring blood sacrifices, etc. They use blood magic in general and the younger and purer the blood, the better

This is completely different from the older European legends about witches, many of whom were basically just herbalists of various strains

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/815934725416173568

haberman (author of the nyt piece that sparked the whole joe/sopan twitter feud) posted some photos from the mar-a-lago nye party, including this one

he spent the first 10 minutes of morning joe relitigating the whole thing

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn this thread needs a new Trump tweet.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

who said 2017 wouldn't suck

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/815934725416173568

haberman (author of the nyt piece that sparked the whole joe/sopan twitter feud) posted some photos from the mar-a-lago nye party, including this one

he spent the first 10 minutes of morning joe relitigating the whole thing

Can't see in this pic what level of attire Scarbs is wearing, so

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm glad we've moved away from those irrational times of witches and witchcraft, into the much more modern pepe the frog and kek

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vertical Lime posted:

who said 2017 wouldn't suck

I dunno man, America will become great again, that can't suck can it?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

I wonder if Puritan witches were sexy

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

crazy cloud posted:

Some day I hope someone looks at me like Joe Scarborough looks at Donald Trump

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Phyresis posted:

i got a thing for witches and as an expert from what i understand from the movies they generally had to gently caress the Devil Himself in order to seal the contract (which was signed in their own blood, natch) and then they gained magic powers so like they could make themselves prettier immediately but as they get older it takes stronger and stronger magic to maintain the same effect so it starts requiring blood sacrifices, etc. They use blood magic in general and the younger and purer the blood, the better

This is completely different from the older European legends about witches, many of whom were basically just herbalists of various strains

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

:fap:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wynonna can say my name three times any day

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Scarbro is such a piece of poo poo slug

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nerses IV posted:

Some day I hope someone looks at me like Joe Scarborough looks at Donald Trump

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The guy's like catnip for these loving people. They're just so enchanted

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lydia deetz is my dream girl and even if i never lay with her i will haunt her parents and second guess their choice of wallpaper

oh wait. im already dead and im doing this inside of penn jilette's home

the struggle for sensibly appointed homes is real, my friends. even in death there is a sense of decorum

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

crazy cloud posted:

🤔

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cumshitter posted:

I wish I had as much free time now to continue pursuing that demented mindset that was the protestant publications. If I could, I'd put Increase Mather and Hunter Thompson in a cage and let them figure it out.

I'd appreciate a summary of Apostasy, if you wouldn't mind. I just don't have as much time to read as I'd like.

At the end of the day, even if it's college English 101 poo poo, nothing will ever hurt my soul more than just imagining that some jackass equivalent of Popof that we have today was roaming the country and comparing people's souls to a spider that God grabs by the rear end in a top hat and holds over a flame that's going to roast them for eternity. I feel bad for the people who felt it then and I feel bad for the folk who are suckered into it now.

Why? WHy??????? Why would your conception of god, an extrapolation of yourself and your own possible greatness, be a being who delights in the idea of punishing you????

it's been ages since I read it myself but basically if I remember right it was a half-serious 'hey maybe faith as a concept is a good thing to have even if people can misuse it' and half-joke 'and if you don't do what the preacher says nature itself will rise against you and devour your farm, now let me tell you why magicians are evil and not to be trusted' kinda stuff. Basically like a lot of his writing he very clearly didn't think faith itself was a problem, but the problem was assholes on power trips who decided they must simply be the final arbiter of God himself's words. The dude was a pretty hardcore Puritan, he got real mad at stuff like allowing non-member's kids to be baptized into the faith and all, but hilariously that hardcore, very specific Puritan style, is what made him such a solid legal advocate at the time. He very genuinely believed some dude running a colony like a dictator and holding trials to root out witches on obviously fake evidence was bad because his hardcore rear end beliefs said that Satan was so powerful that if he REALLY wanted to just enchant a lady and gently caress with the town he'd just do it and not leave behind some kind of weird chain of witnesses and all.

It was a fantastic conflict between political faith and real faith, you can argue the merits of his Puritan beliefs all you want but the guy was consistent and he got absolutely pissed at what he viewed as political losers trying to co-opt God.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

in retrospect Lydia seems like an archetype foundation, if not the originator itself. At least for our generation's perception of that type of girl

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phyresis posted:

in retrospect Lydia seems like an archetype foundation, if not the originator itself. At least for our generation's perception of that type of girl

:ok:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slamhound posted:

Catholic hate won't come back because Catholics own the Evangelicals and run the republican party. Creepy-rear end VP (and President Actual) is a Catholic.

Neither Pence nor Trump are Catholic

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

witchcraft and magic are real tho, source: am one, do it

It has as much potential to change the universe as prayer, inshallah.

https://twitter.com/KathrynMRhodes1/status/815926218667257856

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The dude was a pretty hardcore Puritan, he got real mad at stuff like allowing non-member's kids to be baptized into the faith and all, but hilariously that hardcore, very specific Puritan style, is what made him such a solid legal advocate at the time. He very genuinely believed some dude running a colony like a dictator and holding trials to root out witches on obviously fake evidence was bad because his hardcore rear end beliefs said that Satan was so powerful that if he REALLY wanted to just enchant a lady and gently caress with the town he'd just do it and not leave behind some kind of weird chain of witnesses and all

thank you for this. i just have no witty rejoinder to increase mather that doesn't involve a long and circuitous converstation about my dick that i have to over explain about how my dick is just big, so big, to a beautiful boy a hung girl and that's why i love this forum

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cumshitter posted:

lol

i do marketing at my job and part of that is sending out binders to potential clients that sum up our business and what we do. a couple pages in we have the "Meet the team!" pages woth headshots next to a paragraph ddescribing their education and a careern summary and what they actually do

by and large they are unremarkable but this being finance youc an do a job for a long long time and weve got a copule people in their late 70s still trading and poo poo. the older guys tend not to update their headshots and have ridiculous frizzy semi-afro headshots of them from the 90s

that gum line. that is the most awful business headshot ive seen and of course a trump would proudly pay money for a tacky photo like that and actually use it

like i imagine the photographer was loving with him and kept telling him to smile bigger so he could get more of that gumline in and he lold really really hard when he actually chose the joke shot he put in his packet

The gumline wouldn't be that bad if the lower lip moved at all. He looks like he's trying to poker sneer rather than smile

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this is what i think of when the republicans try to repeal obamacare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLKrDWgGYs

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Boosted_C5 posted:

Prostrate yourselves before Trump. Admit before God and man your sinful ways. Acknowledge the moral superiority of

the common man and woman who made Trump President.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That feeling when Beetlejuices made up qualifications are more than what your president has.

Except for being scary.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i think we're gonna stream betelguese tonite even if we did it already maybe we did idk

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sure we will liar in chief, sure we will

I wonder if he's gonna have a professional pants man following him around ready to replace the pairs that burst into flames

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phyresis posted:

i think we're gonna stream betelguese tonite even if we did it already maybe we did idk

do it

my favorite scene in all of cinema is michale keaton's "Do you think I'm qualified?" rant

also, just a heads up for everyone, your local grocery store is all out of meat and booze because it's new years. this is the perfect time to pick up a bottle of absolut for 12-14 bucks and a shitload of decent quality meat

after holidays booze/meat shopping is fun

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Phyresis posted:

Oh, of course. Remember the outbursts when Harry Potter debuted in theaters and people thought it was the devil's works teaching kids how to do real magic?
I've personally known a few people that though exorcisms were real and those asian face changers were satan incarnate.
The short of it is people are stupid and still willing to assign supernatural powers to what they don't understand

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
as a certtified warlock, i'm just glad the faith is strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

cumshitter posted:

At the end of the day, even if it's college English 101 poo poo, nothing will ever hurt my soul more than just imagining that some jackass equivalent of Popof that we have today was roaming the country and comparing people's souls to a spider that God grabs by the rear end in a top hat and holds over a flame that's going to roast them for eternity.

Jonathan Edwards was hilarious about spiders in general. He has multiple sermons and letters about how he was so pissed that spiders just ballooned around between the trees on their webs "in a most unaccountable manner" that he went out and whacked bushes with sticks and tormented spiders until he could figure out how they did it.

• Locked thread