Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
*reads OP*

Oh! OOOOHHHHH! I have something to a-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is depiction of black people in children's media an ok topic?

I mean, besides that being the gooniest goddamn question imaginable.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

shoot.

also Doc McStuffins is cool and good

The show Steven Universe has black UK singer Estelle as a main character, and although the character she voices, Garnet, isn't literally a black woman, you'd have to be a moron to say she isn't coded as such. She's generally portrayed as cool, confident, and as an emotional and intellectual rock for the other characters to cling to and bounce off of.

Me and my wife don't have kids, yet, but all our nieces and nephews of the appropriate ages love it. And the show is better than some about not having a white-dominated cast. I'm just curious what people of this thread think of it, if it's on their radar at all.

Although with one goddaughter huge in Doc McStuffins, I'm glad to see it gets a pass.

E: poo poo, "gets a pass" makes this sound like a white guilt thing, which I swear it wasn't meant to be.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 8, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hopefully minorities will rise up to justifiably and violently overthrow whitey soon. And when they do all I ask is to be the first against the wall so that I don't have to live on this shithole planet any more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly I don't know if it's something moderation can fix any more. :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Edit: the worst snype was here

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

You guys should defend yourselves in GBS.

Nah, GBS should come here.

And get banned. :getin:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just wanted to say that arguing against the assholes in USPol trying to say racism had nothing to do with why Trump won is aggravating and exhausting. I can't imagine having to deal with it every single day of your lives whether you wanted to or not. :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Taerkar posted:

Are you really surprised that the people who fussed and whined about how D&D is a hivemind circle-jerk that doesn't tolerate outside opinion are acting that way?

No, not really.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rexicon1 posted:

Of course racism had a major part in why Trump won. Who is saying otherwise? Racism might be the most powerful political force in the United States??

I wouldn't do this, if I were you.

Edit:

I warned him. He just wouldn't listen (or read the thread).

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 12, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

So the only constructive posters are those who agree with you, got it.

Kindly gently caress off.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm so glad you're realizing it, and I want to repeat what I've said: Anybody interested in coming around on this stuff, I welcome you and I will help you. You don't have to figure it all out on your own. Come together, it's the only way we'll survive.

I've had a similar experience to Panfilo because of this and the Misogynoir thread as well. I just didn't want to say so because I know this thread isn't for me and I want to keep my post count here to a minimum (and doing a pretty poor job of it).

But I want to echo that yes, these threads are doing good and teaching people about things they sorely need to be taught.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

And frankly, I'm learning a bit as well. As hard as you think it may be to "ask a POC," the opposite is nearly nonexistent, lest we summon the label of "uppity."

e: Forums ate my quote, call up Jesse Jackson, I'm suing.

I have no doubt. I've always "known" that any hardship I face is at least five times worse for PoC, but seeing first hand accounts coming from people in a community I'm part of is doing a lot to drive that home for me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rexicon1 posted:

No, what the hell is wrong with you people that you can't have a civil discussion about something. Stop channeling loving CSPAM.

You should probably read this thread instead of barreling into it like a jackass.

Edit:

quote:

e: And if you are a loving white person telling me to get out gently caress your stupid loving racist rear end, I've had more than enough of that poo poo on this dogshit forum.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 13, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

K Prime posted:

Your second post was telling someone who gave you a gentle warning to shut the gently caress up and claiming your behavior was their fault.

To be fair the entire and only reason he posted here is because he heard I did and he has a weird grudge against me. So it partly is my fault. I'm sorry I inadvertently brought this to Negrotown, guys.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 13, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

That is the dumbest goddamn comment. I don't entirely see the need for a "black netflix" (as opposed to demanding better curated sections in Netflix, Hulu & Amazon), but sweet Jesus does "white netflix" sound like the most pointlessly racist thing.

Like always when people ask for a "white history month" or "White Entertainment Television" the answer is always that we already have it, it's just the default. Netflix is White Netflix.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OmanyteJackson posted:

Racism is hard coded into this country, it's always been here and it always will. Obama won despite racism. if your big takeaway from this election is "huh, we've got a lot of racism around here." maybe stop posting.

Cause here's the thing "white dude issues" are poc and women issues too.

You are a dumb, dumb motherfucker.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea they will try it to an all new jury.

The juror apparently said he can't vote not guilty but he also couldn't tel the family of the victim that his killer is going free

Prosecutors agreed to a manslaughter charge as well

People need to understand that "not guilty" is not the same as "innocent". There's a reason we use the specific phrases that we do!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey good to see you, can I have a car loan?

20.8% APR good for you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have every DVD set of Fresh Prince and now I feel a strong urge to watch it again after I finish Revolution (aka: Crackers in the Apocalypse part 12). The only POC is a duplicitous bad guy with anger problems who disowns his son for not wanting to be a wanton murderer. Because of course. Has there ever been a positive depiction of black people in a post-apocalypse scenario? Now I'm kinda genuinely curious because I'd watch/read the poo poo out of that.

Possibly Michonne in The Walking Dead?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Maybe we should denounce racial violence, regardless of who is the target? Just a thought!!!

:frogout:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

why are we assuming autocorrect would be involved at all? tweets are made with regular computers too. i can see this being a typo

should issue an apology though

They did:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BRJohnson posted:

If I take out the last part of my previous post, will you guys respond to the rest of it? I'm not trying to start a big argument in this thread I've never posted in before, and I can just, ya know, leave... but I'd like to hear what people have to say about my post and the two preceding it.

Your post was nothing but a tone argument and tone arguments are horseshit. Everything HCC and Maluco said were completely accurate and they shouldn't have to keep quiet about it in order to protect your feelings.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry I didn't feel like making an effort post in response to your Tumblr dump.

Everything that guy has said has been incredibly reasonable and it just seems like you would rather argue and alienate people, and be right on the internet more than anything else.

Nothing ITT has been the least bit alienating unless you are actively going out of your way to be alienated in order to fuel a persecution complex, in which case you probably aren't much of an ally.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

He was referring to the tone of people in a discussion thread, some of whom seem to be incredibly combative. How is tone not relevant in having a discussion?

Can you quote anything that you feel is "combative" that also isn't 100% true? Because nobody here is under any obligation to sugar coat things to protect your feelings, and I say this as a dude who is as white as the freshly driven snow. If what's being said makes you feel guilty or attacked then that's not a problem with what's being said, that's a problem with you and you need to examine your own life and views to understand why you feel like that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

What, specifically was he trying to avoid? I don't see where he tried to shut anyone down.

How would you reword the posts he quoted so that they no longer offended your sensibilities?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

As much as you want me to be. I am not offended, sorry.

Then why did you say anything in the first place if you didn't have any problem with the tone?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I only as that as One Of The Good Ones my death be quick and painless.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fiscal concerns were not ignored this election, what the hell are you even talking about?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

We made a mistake. Don't blame white people for trump, that puts you on the same level as whites who blame black people for (scary black man). You dont fight a larger force with identical tactics.

Trump won for a number of reasons, chief being that We (all allies within the democrat party) dropped the ball in key states.

No, Trump is 100% our (white people's) fault. That's as much a fact as water being wet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

Trump is an Everyone problem, and his rise was not due to an imagined wave of racists (at the least, more racists than reps have ever had).

Yes, actually, it was. Tons of white people decided that they didn't care about the lives of minorities and their apathy is what allowed Trump to win. This is a fact.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

The problem is that empathy needs to be shown both ways, it's not fair, black americans deserve far more leeway, but ultimately most voters won't go out of their way to help someone unwilling to help them. We can blame them for having the privilege of voting for someone promising them jobs and a not-rotting middle america, or we can turn our ire towards those elites who could not lift the tiniest of fingers to include them in our group at no harm to any other groups.

Passive bigotry is still bigotry, but its a bigotry that can be mitigated and reduced. There's a reason we don't call it active bigotry.

Why do minorities have to put aside to their concerns to help white people but whites get to freely vote to gently caress over minorities? You're right about one thing, you do enjoy the privileges of being white, and protecting those privileges seems to be your only concern.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

2. That there do exist white allies with such microscopic-if-any exploitation of minorities or racism that focusing in any and all of their Quantum Privilege instead of the actual causes is, in all honesty and respect, ludicrous.

Tell us more about how the feelings and concerns of black people are ludicrous.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

I think the feeling is mutual between both social and fiscal leftists, and that if relations don't warm then I'm not sure if either will make any progress, let alone stop Trump from serving two terms.

Fiscal leftists are welcome to make that happen, but somehow the best you guys ever come up with is "let's help white people first and then minorities right after, for realsies this time".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

The issue on the fiscal leftist side is that we're never given even a benefit of a doubt. It seems like from the very moment Hillary said that notorious "will breaking up the banks solve racism?" line that everything we say and suggest must be observed to the character. It's okay to prance people responsible for countless minority deaths on-stage during a convention, but any suggestion that the new leftists are more racially aware than those 60-80 years ago is heavily scrutinized.

I mean, even in here everyone fell over themselves to assume Botany's summary of the post I had made about reparations (which involved both social and fiscal action to obtain the end goal of reparations), that suggested I wanted to give white people and whites alone Lodes-e-Money was true.

Is anything ever your fault, or do you always have a convenient excuse about why someone else is to blame for your shortcomings? Like do you have even a single failing you take ownership of?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

I'm 100% willing to listen, I only say to relax because it sounds like arguing about this is causing them grief. I don't control the direction of the black cultural thread in the debate and discussion forum, i can only read and contribute to topics.

You aren't contributing here, you enormous moron.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to officially apologize on behalf of all white people for the dipshittery my honkey brethren have displayed today.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Piccolo is the best anyway

It's a shame he and Vegeta never fought.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What's there to actually discuss about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And her theme park was actually very nice and had rides that easily fit a 6'6" dude like me.

• Locked thread