Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Koalas March posted:

Same, honestly.

This is probably why he and Jay don't hang out no more.

Well I mean that and the fact Bey hates to be in the same general vicinity as Kim Kardashian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Morby posted:

Kanye always seems to get way more hate from (mostly) white people than he really deserves. Like, his biggest crime is that he was rude to a white woman once. Taylor Swift basically took that incident and has been milking it for almost a drat decade now.

:ssh: Kanye is generally hated more by young black people than young white people. Since like at least 2012....I mean old white people hate all black people and rappity rappers. but Kanye's rep isn't so hot with black people these days.

Go to a Kanye concert and look around at who you see. Who do you think are buying his $500 t-shirts and poo poo.

My dude is telling a loving majority white crowd that Black people complain about race too much. The Same dude who tells majority white crowds it's ok for them to say the N-word in his songs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

like I said in the Rap thread. Pablo is really really good musically.

Sound wise I love that album as much as I like MBDTF.

Kanye's issue is the same issue that Em started running into(though not quite as bad...yet). There is a bar or punchline that is just so goddamn awful that almost ruins the song.

The only Track on Pablo I hate listening to is Freestyle 4.

But sound wise. ULB, FSMH 1+2, Famous, Feedback, Highlights, Waves, FML, Real Friends, Wolves, 30 Hours, No More Parties, Facts, and Fade

I loving love the production on that album. Which is always Kanye's strength. But whoo boy the writing will just crater off at random parts of all of those songs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never particularly been fond of Kanye's rapping. He is unparalleled as a producer, but to me his flow has always felt a bit stilted and he tends to depend too much on simple rhymes. I think he does well because the music is amazing and he speaks to people in a way other rappers don't, but what do I know, I'm just a luddite who's trapped in the 90s when it comes to taste in hip hop.

I don't disagree.

Kanye's skill has always been in producing. He's a B class rapper with S+ class production. Once he lost his ghost writers he fell off haaaaard.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

double negative posted:

Giving people passes for putting out good music or being a sick athlete is insanely dumb, much like Kanye West. My dude expended the goodwill he earned for "George Bush doesn't care about black people" years ago.

Also kinda learn to take a joke.

It's like the Dave Chappelle skit.

"Nah Man...He Made Thriller...Thriller"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The only Artist or athlete or famous person I can't gently caress with after them being alleged to do some gently caress poo poo is R.Kelly.

Like the music is still dope. But I just can't listen to any of his songs anymore without thinking about his pedophile rear end.

Hit me again this year when I realized that that dude was creeping in the background of the cover of Aaliyah's "Age ain't nothing but a number"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also Kanye doesn't really fit there. Like that situation is waaaaaay loving different than, Rose's, Cosby's, Kelly's, or Jackson's alleged transgressions.

Kanye is just a dumbass with bad opinions. Which sure slander away and doesn't deserve much defense. But that's lightweight compared to literal violations of the law and poo poo the others are accused of.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I only listen to Macklemore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwiNgPq_5M

*don't actually listen to Macklemore*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I'm just a known idiot who knows how good US Placers is and how it exonerates Kanye of any ill-will that selling jesus' rags for $100 may have caused.

CRS was too good for this world. This world doesn't deserve a whole project of Lupe on nothing but Ye, and Pharell beats.

blackguy32 posted:

I never really noticed how conservative Kendrick Lamar was until I sat down and listened to some of his music.

Kendrick is Conservative as gently caress, hell tons of black folk are conservative as gently caress.(except when it comes to race anyway, Like start getting into conversations about women(black women in particular) with a Black male some time. Or LGBT issues, or Taxes, or how other black people need to bootstrap themselves)

Like I love Kendrick's music, and his projects but yeah the politics behind them are just like 2-3 steps above "Pull up you pants". It's why I laugh whenever I hear someone say TPAB was him being to preachy like they didn't even listen to GKMC, which doesn't even hold a candle to the loving sermon that is Section.80

And also..

lol Most white rap fans(of the non mainstream Drake, and pop poo poo anyway) don't give a poo poo about consciousness, they are in it for the idea of experiencing blackness without the downsides of actually being black.

Pusha posted:

“I remember on the Clipse’s sophomore album, Hell Hath No Fury. And we were doing press around the album,” Pusha T said. “And the write-ups were so good. The blogs were clamoring about the Clipse. We just found our niche with that album. We found out who exactly our fans was. We started off solely in the streets. And then we sort of just found these college, white, internet monsters. We even had a name. They were called the Clipsters. Like hipsters. But it was the hipster bunch that was all about the Clipse. And they were all about us. And we embraced ‘em as well.”

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If a rapper says something smart it's "lol who cares what a stupid rapper thinks, I pity you if you get your politics from hip and/or hop." Then if a rapper says something dumb it's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD he is RUINING OUR SOCIETY anyone who listens to his music is a MONSTER.

So basically all yall gently caress off with that grandad poo poo.

Meh I get someones politics turning them off of wanting to listen or watch anyone in entertainment I'm personally not like that (except for R.Kelly). But I get that mindset.

Mostly if you do some pedophile poo poo I'm not really trying to listen to you sing about how you wanna blow some chicks back out.

Just like I'm going to laugh at Kanye's dumbass when some Italian fashion magazine doesn't put his new lineup in it and he starts crying about racism

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Can't speak to that just know that it looks duuuuumb.

Don't hate the shoes but too rich for my rear end.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Unless you are old as hell when it first started getting popular any male kid probably hosed with DBZ at some point in time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Quorum posted:

Agreed, Waller for president IMO.

Eh.

Waller would have the most Right wing conservative rear end conservative foreign policy in the history of right wing conservatives. Though to be fair she probably hates Black people and women less than other conservatives. But everything's all well and good until she starts a secret program cloning Super Osama Bin Laden's to combat islam.

Lex would probably make for a better president tbh. Just gotta have a chief of staff with enough pull on him to prevent him from doing petty and evil poo poo out of his hatred of Superman.

"Dude maybe don't spend all this goddamn taxpayer money on the development of a Kryptonite super cannon"

McCloud posted:

Have ya'll seen the new Harry Potter spinoff movie? It's nice that it made an effort in having a more diverse cast.
I think the main character has aspergers and the president of magic USA is a black woman. All in all an enjoyable fun movie with some real creepy moments. I liked it and I'm not a big potter guy.

Also saw dr strange but that was pretty meh

Haven't seen that movie. Will get around to it sometime this week probably

I loved Strange though. It's the only Marvel movie with a good and cool villain defeat. Also pretty interesting visually. Barebones plot but executed as well as it could be. Could do with less quips tho.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Meh. I'm glad they went Viola Davis and at least had an older black woman play the part.

New 52 Waller was terrible. and while CCH Pounder will always be the One True Waller. Viola Davis did a really good and admirable job in an otherwise disappointing movie.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Didn't Luthor make Waller Secretary of State when he was president?

Sure foreign policy wise he was a mess. But Like didn't he at some point just outright ban all fossil fuels.

So what if some aliens, metas or vigilantes had to take a few L's.

Maybe if Superman didn't bring that Kryptonite asteroid to earth we wouldn't have to be so tough on super predator aliens.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Everyone has preferences and their own tastes

The Second you start making your preferences and taste into a condemnation of anyone you aren't personally attracted to is when you run into a problem. Also try to avoid generalizing an entire group of people

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't really know for sure, but my best guess has always been that POCs are more likely to do most of their internet via smartphone and not own a computer or not have solo access to one (shared "homework" computer in the kitchen is pretty common)

It's almost like once the tools of content creation are democratized you start to see more diversity in funny content coming out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vann is the loving goods. So happy he's writing at the Atlantic and putting out good work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

omg I went off on a coworker the other day because he was humming the tune to Astronomy and when I started dropping the lyrics he's all "What is that?" and he had never loving heard of Blackstar (or Mos Def or Talib individually). I was just like "how could you have picked up the tune and absorbed nothing about the source or its message?" and apparently that was just me being a dick for no reason according to him.

I mean going off on him might be a bit much. I find myself humming random pop songs that I don't know the lyrics to all the time. Though I'll admit that is a fairly deep cut.

Maybe it was sampled somewhere.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Right Wing Politicians using 'Born in the USA' never is not funny to me.

Also comical. A Ton of songs that people play at weddings that are very much not songs you should be playing at wedding receptions('If I was your man' by Joe comes to mind).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 22, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also didn't his mom die in November.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also a song can have a whole different context based solely on where it falls in an artist's project

Formation feels like a completely different song when it comes at the end of Lemonade compared to just hearing it as a single.

Ditto with "i" from Kendrick Lamar which in the context of his album hits waaaaay harder than the single.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

^^ EFB

Skinty McEdger posted:

What was the best sketch/comedy show aimed at a black audience?

What years? And what demographic of Black audiences.

Because It's probably the Chappelle Show. Even though most white( and black folks too) didn't pull the right lessons from that show. And were laughing for the wrong reasons.

edit:

And yeah like how the Chris Rock (Black people vs "NIGGAAAAAZ") bit, suddenly became an acceptable thing for white people to use against black people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I think they were very aware of their type of comedy considering they were both biracial. They had a bunch of skits where they would have to deal with being black and acting white.

Of all things this year a Video game managed to capture this poo poo perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrePfqalRw&t=567s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh, Screw you and your "depth of general blackness". I grew up in white rear end white suburbia and am pretty sure I'm pretty black.

This movie isn't about a so called "thug" and seems like exactly the type of movie Peele would have personal poo poo to draw on when making.

Awkward poo poo happening when dating a white chick and meeting their family is like suburban black american 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Like a Suburban rear end black dude is probably the perfect guy to make this movie.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

<------. Hahahhahahahahahah

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

negromancer posted:

LMFAOOOOO goddamn.

So much for the diversity of black experience.

Though you did literally try to say that the only black experiences were "thug" and "suburban black dude", so...

Protip: Not everyone who grows up in the inner city is a thug.

I don't think a white person gave you that redtext, tbh.

Lol wow was my post wildly misinterpreted then. I was simply questioning why you said Peele didn't have the blackness necessary to write Get Out and have it work.

I used "Thug" because that's how a previous poster referred to the characters that Key and Peele can't portray well without it often coming off as minstrel like. And I was simply saying the character in this movie doesn't seem to be going for that stereotype.

I was talking about you saying what you said about their lack of blackness being a problem with making that movie.

I wasn't saying poo poo about you or anyone else.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 24, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I really find it funny as poo poo that this started and got blown up from me stating it's dumb as poo poo for him to say something like Get Out couldn't be done well by a mixed suburban black dude.

Like all of this was me just stating Get Out looks good and defending just that specific movie.

I didn't even really like Key and Peele's show and wasn't speaking to anything beyond Peele's movie.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Police, fully aware of white people being overreacting dipshits, will still side with them.

I mean. At some point the only way to resolve that situation is to remove them from the store.

Regardless of how loving bullshit it is. If the manager and employees of a store tell you to leave and say you are trespassing then you are kinda trespassing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm anti-Death Penalty. So I'm not wishing death upon Dylan Roof or anything.

I'm just gonna be a bit pissed nah that's a bit much, lets say miffed and morbidly amused if the case that destroys the Death Penalty in America is a motherfucking racist rear end in a top hat shooting up a black church trying to start a race war. And how people are so sympathetic towards that piece of poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bobjr posted:

Are people actually sympathetic to him? I haven't been paying as much recent attention but I thought it was another situation where they try and separate him from the group as much as possible with the "Lone Wolf acting Alone" defense.

This motherfucker has had less negative poo poo written about him than unarmed dudes who got shot by cops. He's just a "sad broken lone wolf, misled kid in need of counseling"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I still love Civil war. Well I mean it's main books sucked.

But a ton of the side stories actually had writers who were like wait. No What Tony is doing/advocating for is wrong as poo poo. Lets do a dive into just how loving wrong he is.

That Avengers initiative run with Cloud 9 is still one of my favorite comic runs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

Does the movie have that rant about how out of touch Captain America was because he doesn't watch NASCAR or use Facebook

Whoo boy was Frontline comical. And whoo boy does it reek of editorial meddling.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That Civil War Rewrite was pretty good tbh.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lol at physically attacking a cop for any reason, unless you have a death wish for you and want vendetta against anyone associated with you.

Even if you get off you are hosed unless you just move away.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

"Have you ever stared into the cerebellum of a baby giraffe?"

Yeah...Bodega Boys is great.

Taxstone has some good interviews the Meek one was good.

Trillwithers podcast. And Jenkins's and Jones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

just report him and ignore it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's probably too late for Kanye bruh

https://twitter.com/Mastermind/status/807042208180404224

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lilly_Works/status/808703701917585408

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

Kanye will run on the GOP ticket in 2020

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/808769227847036941

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They love race traitors though?

Shouts to Ben Barson.

• Locked thread