Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's a good primer/starting place on the reparations issue? I wasn't even aware it was still a debate, and I'd like to read about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Basically he wrote it on a dare and ended up actually making it a relevant issue again
Thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Yes, this is something that I am still trying to learn. Like some members of my family only consider mestiz@ or chican@ as latin@. It's very interesting.
Could you expand on being black in a latin@ (is that the preferred spelling over latinx or latino/a?) family? I don't know anything about African heritage in the latin@ world, or racial identity, or things like that. I'm very curious how it looks versus what I think of as American black heritage and culture (I do not know any of the terminology or how things are identified or divided in terms of race theory).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want to know who is spending hundreds of combined dollars on passive-aggressive avatars in D&D... and thank them for saving the site.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

I'm glad they dropped it then, because that would have crossed over from hilarious to hilariously offensive as gently caress.
He wouldn't have been light-skinned, but adopted. But either way, yeah. Wouldn't have been great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

I'm moving to Senegal on that rear end. I was gonna do it at 40 but motherfuck all this poo poo. My job allows me to work from anywhere with an internet connection. Nope to the nope nope.
Why Senegal, out of curiosity?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Go ahead and ask about racism in the gay community. Seriously. please.

it's really, really bad. has been really, really bad and continues to be really, really bad.
What differentiates it from straight racism? Is it unique, or just an extension of mainstream racism?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

FYI conservative posters now feel bold enough to just straight up use racial slurs now so be prepared for that. :smith:
I know "please report" isn't a great response, but I'm serious when I say that threads are moving super fast right now. Please PM someone, or multiple someones, and report as well, or w/e. Just give the mod/admin team a heads-up, otherwise we will not be able to keep up with them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

botany posted:

Might as well ask you this here: If you get the "this thread has recently been reported" message, does that mean what it says or does it mean that the *post* has recently been reported? That's always confused me.
It's the post. That message is wildly dated and for some reason has never been changed. The report system - hell, the moderation system as a whole - is a patchwork of barely-functioning code that Radium tacked onto vBulletin and that ZDR has desperately tried to stop from collapsing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I sent exmarx a message on slack
I didn't even know this was a thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

fyi you're only allowed to report like 5 posts per day or something, because for a time I was trying to report every transphobic post I saw and after 4-6 you just get a message saying "you've complained enough today". That means to report every bad post (which is essentially what you're saying we need to do since you can't keep up with threads), we have to PM multiple mods for every single one. That's kinda hosed up.
7, I believe. Reforming the reporting system has been discussed a lot as part of the rebuilt forums code, and I assume it will be in there, but I don't know any of the details and it's still a long way out. Mods aren't fond of it either, for all of those reasons. The reason there's a limit is basically because there is a reports forum, and every report is a new thread created automatically in that forum. It means allowing a ton of reports would be super abusable. That's why I've always preferred having a poster PM me to be like "heads up, someone's making GBS threads up this thread" or "thread's getting lovely, starting on page XXX." That at least avoids having to report tons of stuff. But it's not a great system. Most forums don't need a ton of reports anyway, but when things go south in D&D they tend to do so quickly and loudly and persistently.

There probably isn't a way to always have quick moderator response, since there's going to be a certain amount of "who's around to handle stuff." And again, that ends up being more important in D&D than other forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Are you kidding me? like I honestly don't know how to answer because I don't know if you are genuinely asking out of ignorance or trolling. if you are being genuine pm me because I have (very personal experiences) such sights to show you.
I will say that, as a white guy, it took me a long time to understand things like internalized racism/misogyny/homophobia, let alone the complexities of race relations between different minorities. When the world is always presented to you as "white" or "minority," it can come as a huge surprise - and it takes a little bit to understand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

this is actually really interesting, thank you for explaining.

I know I keep harping on transparency, and I don't think yall should have to repeat yourselves 10,000 times but knowing stuff like this is very helpful, especially in the ways I think we should approach changing SA for the better
No, the ways the forums work are really weird. And I've been lurking for such a long time that I literally don't even think about some of it. Like it doesn't strike me as confusing at all. I was super baffled by negromancer being like "your name is on these probations" in the QCS thread because, in my mind, it's just like "yeah, but that's not what that actually means." Something Awful is the community I am immersed in probably more than any other racial or gender or professional or generational or whatever demographic, so poo poo can be invisible to me in the same way that it can be to anyone so steeped in a particular culture.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Talmonis posted:

It's this. I'm gonna need some tips for playing offense for a while.
[in white conservative voice] Whatever you do, powerful black men, don't have sex with our wives. *winking to camera* We HATE that!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

That's because the alt-right is loving stupid and think Africa is all mud huts and AIDS.

Meanwhile

This is Lagos, Nigeria

broken

This is where I'm moving back to, Dakar, Senegal

broken
You should rehost these on Imgur or somewhere. Other places often don't load properly if you hotlink.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody's been run out yet. I hope anyone here who gets toxx-banned re-regs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He may have posted in the same thread I did before I got mod-renamed to the name I have now.
Nope, he wasn't one of them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

With the wave of black- and queer-bashing going on already, I'm actually starting to consider getting a concealed carry permit despite my liberal-as-fuckness. I used to just rely on my ability to beat people up to stay safe, but it's been 5 years and a lot of anti-androgens since my last MMA fight and I don't know if I can physically put up that much resistance to a full-sized hillbilly anymore.
The effectiveness of guns for personal defense is pretty debatable, just looking at the statistics, but that's looking at the population as a whole. (And when I say "debatable" I really do mean "up for debate." Good gun stats are hard to come by.) I don't know if it's been studied for minority populations, specifically, which might be different. Of course, it's hard to deny the symbolic or psychological importance of carrying a weapon. But keep in mind that most handgun deaths are self-inflicted, so if you have a history of suicidal thoughts, keep that in mind. It still might be something worth considering, especially if you know you can't count on police protection, and someone with more experience with guns could speak to it. Maybe TFR?

One advantage to growing up in northern Idaho is picking up some stuff about guns. The disadvantages include everything else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

As a vet with combat injuries, I'm pretty drat experienced with guns.

Guns are like alcohol. Most people don't drink or drink rarely, and its a small fraction that have AWL the loving guns and they are overwhelmingly white and racist.
Do you carry for self-defense? Do you know people who have needed to use a gun to defend themselves? This isn't a challenge, it's curiosity.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

And I've had to defend myself with a gun before. Multiple times. It's the nature of war.
Sorry, I should have clarified, in a civilian situation. I generally think the myth of self-defense or home defense with guns is pretty destructive, but I also tend toward being broadly pro-gun-rights, especially for populations who can't count on police protection. But everyone I know who is into guns is, unsurprisingly, white (although not all right-wing), so I'm very interested to hear other perspectives.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

got white bernouts lecturing me about mlk and now i have learned what my limits of acceptability are

thank you forums
Well, some people have strong opinions about bags vs. cartons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rush Limbo posted:

India is racist against everyone in general. My father was Indian, and his family literally disowned him because he went against their wishes and married my mother (a Roma woman)

As in, even when he was dying of cancer they refused to acknowledge him. I've got an entire branch of my family who refuses to acknowledge my and my siblings existence.

Despite all of that he was very keen on teaching me about Indian culture and poo poo. I got a first hand tour of a lot of Indian temples and explanations of what the art depicted and why it was important.
Is it an extension of the caste stuff, or something else?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The people you're quoting are putting the word "friend of the family" in the white man's mouth, which is where it lives. Black people talking to each other use "nigga," which is a reclamation of the slur and doesn't mean the same thing.
This is genuinely fascinating. I'd always thought the difference between the two was a joke about clueless white people trying to get away with something, and it's extremely interesting to me that it's been codified in this way.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Wait, people actually watched that movie?
No, but a lot of them saw the trailer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know goons have strong public radio opinions, so here's something: Joshua Johnson, a black man who previously hosted a series on race in America, is taking over the Diane Rehm Show after she retires. It's being renamed 1A, I assume after the studio in which it's recorded, but for some reason no story is talking about the name, which seems really dumb to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo they were doing that in the eighties?
American education reforms are pretty patchwork. A bunch of states still allow corporal punishment. States' rights!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It might be good to move the education chat to its own thread. It's definitely something that can sustain a thread on its own.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I assume discussion of the black experience in education will not be welcome outside of the two (2) permitted negrozones.
Obviously it's fine. You can post about the black experience as much as you want, and you can start as many black threads as you like. I just didn't want this thread to get derailed with pages of general education chat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If I'm misinterpreting and it's not a problem, awesome. No further action needed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PT6A posted:

Was that before or after they released a statement supporting Donald Trump and then tried to walk that back with uncommon urgency?
The company didn't release a statement, their VP of public affairs - whose single job as VP of public affairs is to avoid doing poo poo like this - publicly supported Trump.

I looked it up because, like all white people, I wear New Balances. They do a dress shoe with a sneaker sole that I really like for walking to work.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not often you hope a company will take a lesson from the dignified example set by Skittles.
Today, all of America could use a Tic-Tac.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Im not letting these fuckers ruin my white dad shoes
Statistically, they already ruined your white dad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

no, I think I'm not articulating myself here. I am trans, black, and native american. I am scared shitless. And all these liberals I know keep trying to spin bullshit like "don't worry, the people who voted for Trump are scared about the economy, they don't don't really want to electrocute the queer out of you". And no matter how many times I try to explain to them to shut up and listen to the minority, they just want to trample all over me with "The problem is that the two side just won't talk to each other." Maybe if the economy was good and the racists were still racist these loving dipshit white liberals could get off their high horse for a second and realize that half of america isn't just being deceived by the Republicans, half of America really is just a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic shitheads.
Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tom Hanks is right. Multi-millionaire actor Tom Hanks is going to be just fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a lot interesting to say. I never met my dad (who is half black and half blackfoot indian), and my mom had me in college. When the school tried to route me into their lower-achieving preschool based on my racial demographics, she flipped out and told me I can't tell people I'm not 100% white anymore, then got me into a better preschool (where I had experiences similar to a lot of folks ITT where I got bored really quickly and started trouble a lot, so they diagnosed me with asperger's and ADD). I pass, for the most part, as white, so my version of the black and native experience in America is the one where whiteness stole my opportunity to have any connection to my heritage. I understand why my mom did things the way she did (my dad was schizophrenic and a repeat felon), but I know nothing about my heritage and was basically raised "as a white person", so any of my connections to black culture are me actively seeking out connections as an adult. There are like no blackfoots in my state so I have no real way to connect with the tribe (and also my dad isn't on my birth certificate so I can't even prove blood quantum for tribal membership anyway).

So I've mostly stumbled through life mostly being treated as white and enjoying the advantages of that, while simultaneously feeling a sense of guilt and loss over the parts of myself I know nothing about. And occasionally a really dedicated racist notices my less-white features and starts yelling racial slurs. Basically, turboracists and other black people are the only people who ever notice I'm black without me saying anything.

And after typing all that, I realize that my experience is actually somewhat common among the black community at large, in that well-to-do black families or white families that adopt black children frequently try really hard to cut their kids off from their roots so they can assimilate into white culture. My so my black/native american experience is basically a loss of self.
This mirror's my friend's experience a lot. Her mother, Indian (I forget the tribe, I want to say Cherokee? They're in Utah) died when she was young, so she was raised by her father's side of the family, mostly racist Mormons, never let her have much contact with them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Buschmaki is a known idiot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crain posted:

Have you heard of Code Switch?
Code Switch is really good. I love Gene Demby in general.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I'm the bi one. Plese refer to me on all manners of black bisexuality.
*unrolls very long scroll, inhales*

quote:

it's a joke, y'all
*closes scroll quietly*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So should I watch it or not? I never got around to it and people constantly telling me to watch it set off my gently caress you dad reflex. I tend to be so on the fence about HBO shows in general for how they just throw tits everywhere for no reason, so if the wire treats black characters the way the whole channel treats women I can't imagine I'll enjoy it much.
It's very good. You might not like it, but it's worth giving a chance. It's a good story told well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Article for discussion.

• Locked thread