Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moridin920 posted:

Dude of course it's a value judgement, and based on that value judgement most black people who voted ended up voting for Hillary. But not all or even a majority of black people voted period so clearly many of those people felt like neither candidate represented them.

I'm pretty sure if I said "HRC was the black person's candidate" to Omali Yeshitela he'd call me an idiot, based on his comments here:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/184547/clinton-favorability-strong-among-black-americans.aspx

It's a value judgement if only because you chose to word it in a loaded and stupid way and I retained your wording. The correct way to say it is, the majority of black people who voted in the primary preferred Hillary Clinton, and there's little to no evidence to support the idea that if more black people had voted that this would have changed in any meaningful way.

I'm not really sure how that quote disproves the idea that black people aren't a monolith, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moridin920 posted:

Thinking a politician represents you is always a value judgement by definition.

I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm saying "look here's a huge group of black people who think Hillary sucks."

Ok but that's not what was being discussed. Literally what I said:

Statistically, the majority of black people preferred Hillary Clinton in the primary. Why this is, is a complicated and nuanced question.

You're saying "but there are black people who don't like Hillary Clinton?!?!?!" firstly because you apparently don't understand how statistics work and what "majority" means, and secondly because you're not reading what is being said.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah and that is horrible but dude there are millions of black people who didn't vote and I bet many thousands of those didn't vote because they hate both parties.

lol tell us more about how both parties are the same. You're showing your hand way too early here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moridin920 posted:

Here is what is being discussed:

I said this post imo treats black people like a monolithic entity. That's what we're debating about.

All I'm saying is maybe this one poster doesn't speak for all black people. Maybe this poster is qualified to talk about their own experiences but "us" and "we?" Not all black people agree with that opinion. That's all I said.

Except "not all black people liked Hillary!" isn't a profound statement, and you're only deploying this argument for the explicit purpose of a "both parties suck and Hillary was Quite Bad," which is the exact thing this poster is complaining about in the first place.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moridin920 posted:

Poster can complain without speaking for all black people in the country.

I mean I literally linked you a respected black scholar/speaker/party leader/academic saying basically "gently caress Hillary."

Because he isn't claiming to speak for every black person, he's claiming to speak for the majority of politically engaged black people, which is statistically absolutely true.

Finding articles by black people who didn't like Hillary is quite easy - a lot of them still voted for her! - and it isn't some gotcha that somehow undermines the basic point: black people overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton and considered her to be the obvious choice (which is not the same as liking her), and understanding why this is true is way more important to the future of leftist candidates than playing games with how many counterexamples you can find.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Patrick Spens posted:

Adrian Chen has an interesting collection of responses by Phillipinos to the story here

I feel like a lot of these responses don't make sense without knowing what they're responding to, insofar as they keep referencing liberals and cultural posturing, etc.

I lol'd at that one dumb person who asserted that conservatives view other cultures with more nuance than liberals tho.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Death Bot posted:

Good piece on West Indies/immigrant blackness and how it is viewed as separate from American blackness http://gladwell.com/black-like-them/

I'm gonna ignore the dumb white guy editorial and say this was really interesting, thanks!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

7c Nickel posted:

I'm hype, but I feel like the suit really needs more definition around the crotch. Not like a crazy hey look at my dick codpiece, but right now the eye is drawn there by the relative LACK of detail.

The way the character was filmed in Civil War they had a focus on his upper body and wide shots for action, it's likely we won't usually see his lower body. That's how Captain America is generally filmed as well.

Also lmao at this post

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I feel firmly validated in my decision to not watch Game of Thrones because it felt weirdly creepy to me. :stare:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

stone cold posted:

but seriously grum writes a lot of rape and pedophilic rape

The lurid sexuality and fetishization of rape/pedophilia were what turned me off from the show and book, I made it a bit farther with the book but meh.

I'll probably read the books eventually but man those guys are setting themselves up for some poo poo with that dumb show pitch. Also Third Civil War lmao what are they on about, we're approaching Harry Turtledove levels of stupidity there.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

stone cold posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't have a problem with lurid sexuality or whatever as much as I do the :tvtropes: esp. the pedophilia.

I'm trying to think of a better way to put what I mean by that. Basically I got a strong feeling that the show/book was getting off on the creepy stuff it was throwing at us, not so much that it has a point.

Admittedly I stopped watching after the second episode and I put the first book down about 100 pages in so perhaps it's just a bad first impression issue, but it just felt weird and creepy. It's not that it has lots of sex, it's that it has lot's of sex intermixed with violence and a lack of consent and seems to think we should think this is awesome and cool.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://medium.com/@LookUpside/white-privilege-on-an-average-tuesday-449317dd1246

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

Sometimes I think about starting an ally thread just for talking about this kind of poo poo, because it's uncomfortable and frustrating, but not something to fill up the black issues threads with. Then I think about how long it would last until the mods had to put it out of it's misery.

I view it less as allyship and more as a demonstration with how white liberals fail. We white liberals have all been in the awkward "lovely old people are overtly racist because they think we're in on it, or think we'll grow up to be like them" scenario, and like this guy we've bit our tongues and didn't push back. It's sad, really.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Do you really expect this guy to suddenly be the one to break through to the 80 year old that it's bad to say the n-word?

Or is he just an idiot for making a think piece out of an encounter with racist grandpa number 89,567? Cause, yea, he's an idiot for that.

No but like, he should've walked out and not fixed the computer. He should've said "I won't work for you because you're bad people."

He explicitly said he needs the work, so I don't specifically hold it against him, but as said, standing up to racism is the bare minimum and we as white liberals routinely fail to do that. That's what's sad about it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
He needs to get a tattoo on his bicep that says "this machine kills fascists." :allears:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bust Rodd posted:

At what point during cop school do they explain how dash cams work, exactly? Are they aware that they are equipped with audio recording equipment? I just can't believe someone who is given a gun, taser, pepper spray, and a car by the municipality isn't also told "Hey, if you are standing in front of your car, it can hear you."

The keys to understanding cop mentality is that a) they're high on their own authority and believe it makes them untouchable, which socially speaking is basically true, b) they have a strong siege mentality and think it's all us vs. them with everyone else and c) the profession actively attracts authoritarians and racists, especially since white supremacist groups literally infiltrate police organizations.

They're not stupid, they're working as intended.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

This should probably go in the OP

http://www.theroot.com/five-rules-for-black-cookouts-and-life-1798706295

Phone posting so no quotes but drat

Unfortunately the OP is banned.

Maybe time for a new thread so you can be OP and edit the OP?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Blade was such a good movie and it's a crime that Wesley didn't more work

Last I heard Marvel offered him Blade back as a part of a reboot in the current cinematic universe and wanted to let him lead in all the weird supernatural Marvel universe stuff a la the Netflix series and the Defenders. Maybe they axed that?

Also I'm sorry Fluffdaddy, I would donate but I am presently unemployed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sean10mm posted:

The Air Force Academy has had a lot of problems with gross right-wing Christian intolerance in the past, so it's cool to see the current superintendent (who just took over this August) lay the smack down on that poo poo here.

There are some serious systemic problems with religious discrimination and fundamentalist take over in the Air Force generally and the Air Force Academy specifically, a lot of the fundamentalist super churches set up shop around the academy to indocrinate the classes as they come. I can't even imagine being a POC or a sexual or religious minority at the Air Force Academy, the stories that come out of there are nothing short of nightmarish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

blackguy32 posted:

So is it just me or is there a lot less Finn in the Star Wars trailer.

There was a lot less Finn but he had a sick nasty lightsaber and got to fight the Boba Fett replacement lady so gently caress yeah.

I have low expectations for this movie.

• Locked thread