Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have done nothing of the kind :colbert:

Also everyone admire my cutest avatar yet :3: I don't know who picked it but A+++ good job would rowdy up racists again

I'm starting to think mod indifference to racial issues is just because they make so much money off people red titling you and you having to re reg. The forums racism is structural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

D'awwwww :3

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Good job on kicking the alcohol TB and Koalas post more in BSS.

omg that was me not tb

do all black posters look alike to you mr bone???

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Death Bot posted:

Am I understanding this right that the two tattoos are a confederate flag and something naruto

No she didnt have a flag tattoo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Koalas March posted:

omg that was me not tb

do all black posters look alike to you mr bone???

Yes but in my defense i habe avs off.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes but in my defense i habe avs off.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

shame on me, sensei

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

shame on me, sensei

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJmId-3adM

Listening to Charlemagne talk about yts getting mad at him for calling nazis white devils is really familiar. :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like man, this is loving hillarious, like terrible as hell blah blah blah, but dear god, at least have the common decency to use Dogwhistles.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/officer-to-woman-during-traffic-stop-we-only-kill-black-people-right/600704431

quote:

“Remember, we only kill black people. We only kill black people, right?” the Cobb County police officer can be heard saying on the video.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Koalas March posted:

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJmId-3adM

Listening to Charlemagne talk about yts getting mad at him for calling nazis white devils is really familiar. :allears:

You edited my ultra slam post!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

Like man, this is loving hillarious, like terrible as hell blah blah blah, but dear god, at least have the common decency to use Dogwhistles.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/officer-to-woman-during-traffic-stop-we-only-kill-black-people-right/600704431

yeah this so hosed up it's comical

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/903223963672817664

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At what point during cop school do they explain how dash cams work, exactly? Are they aware that they are equipped with audio recording equipment? I just can't believe someone who is given a gun, taser, pepper spray, and a car by the municipality isn't also told "Hey, if you are standing in front of your car, it can hear you."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

At what point during cop school do they explain how dash cams work, exactly? Are they aware that they are equipped with audio recording equipment? I just can't believe someone who is given a gun, taser, pepper spray, and a car by the municipality isn't also told "Hey, if you are standing in front of your car, it can hear you."

They learn all that, then they learn their actions don't have consequences so they just do what they want.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bust Rodd posted:

The keys to understanding cop mentality is that a) they're high on their own authority and believe it makes them untouchable, which socially speaking is basically true, b) they have a strong siege mentality and think it's all us vs. them with everyone else and c) the profession actively attracts authoritarians and racists, especially since white supremacist groups literally infiltrate police organizations.

They're not stupid, they're working as intended.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just watched Deathnote. Got some poo poo to say, gently caress spoilers nobody was gonna see it anyways. You might be asking yourself why this is getting posted in the Negrotown thread? First, ain't no asian thread, second I watched it with my black fiance, third I wanna talk about this guy:

L, as played by Lakeith Stanfield, is the Moriarty character. He is the lead investigator of the cops, represented by Light's dad (off topic, this motherfucker said some smart poo poo "All units find L, he is armed and dangerous, I never liked the guy"), but is a private investigator because he actually gets poo poo done. The Lakeith was given the direction of being Javert with aspbergers and does well with that material. The "bad guy". But he shows up like halfway through the movie. He was raised in an orphanage built to cultivate a batman level detective. The initiation is 7 months in a crazy room out in the middle of a compound in the county. After his Batman training he was given the only asian actor to play his Alfred

I was vaguely familiar with the source material. Read the wikipedia notes about it around 2008. It's a fun asian story, where a silly devil spirit binds himself to a man (Light Yagami) who then creates his own godhood through overly complicated final destination rube goldberg machines. Fiance had no idea what anything was going in.

Basic rundown of this film is this Light Turner is a scrubby hot topic scene teen who gets the hots for the crazy white girl cheerleader, Mia. In the first scene we see Light attempting to save ol girl from a 19 year old man stealing lunch money from a teenage girl or some poo poo. He inserts himself between the two but beyond that he fizzles out, not willing or able to throw a punch. He promptly gets knocked the gently caress out. He gets detention because the kid did like 15 other kid's homework, idunno, where he cowers from meets out at the first sighting of the God of Death and inspired casting choice Willem Dafoe.

So Disney kid receives, through no fault of his own, a bound contract with a demon that scares the living poo poo outta him. This contract gives him the power to kill any person on earth after doing a fb search of the victim's name. Before he even has his own montage of playing around with the death machine he decides to show it to his one true love, Mia, a girl who only talked to him because he saw the school bully get his head chopped off.

In this film she plays the Lady Macbeth role of telling her man to stab his way to godhood. Highlights of her arc include stealing a page from the book to kill the fbi, telling light to kill his own father, writing Light's name in a bid to steal the book for herself, getting mad that Light wrote Mia's name in the book in retaliation. Each time Light halfheartedly disagree's with her and she rolls right over him. She is a snake of a character and Light gave that crazy ho too many chances. Every single interaction with her on screen led to my wife saying "loving around with them white girls". She is the reason Asian Alfred gets got, so gently caress her.

I'm fizzling out. But basically Deathnote as done by Netflix is the whitest god damned telling of an asian story I've ever seen since David Karadine's Kung Fu. I ain't even mad anymore, they mayonaised up this script so much it would be jarring and impossible to see an asian teen perform in this. Willem Dafoe is the best anytime he is on screen. Only watch this if you are really, really, really high. Edit: The soundtrack was dope.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 1, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

KirbyKhan posted:

I just watched Deathnote. Got some poo poo to say, gently caress spoilers nobody was gonna see it anyways. You might be asking yourself why this is getting posted in the Negrotown thread? First, ain't no asian thread, second I watched it with my black fiance, third I wanna talk about this guy:

L, as played by Lakeith Stanfield, is the Moriarty character. He is the lead investigator of the cops, represented by Light's dad (off topic, this motherfucker said some smart poo poo "All units find L, he is armed and dangerous, I never liked the guy"), but is a private investigator because he actually gets poo poo done. The Lakeith was given the direction of being Javert with aspbergers and does well with that material. The "bad guy". But he shows up like halfway through the movie. He was raised in an orphanage built to cultivate a batman level detective. The initiation is 7 months in a crazy room out in the middle of a compound in the county. After his Batman training he was given the only asian actor to play his Alfred

I was vaguely familiar with the source material. Read the wikipedia notes about it around 2008. It's a fun asian story, where a silly devil spirit binds himself to a man (Light Yagami) who then creates his own godhood through overly complicated final destination rube goldberg machines. Fiance had no idea what anything was going in.

Basic rundown of this film is this Light Turner is a scrubby hot topic scene teen who gets the hots for the crazy white girl cheerleader, Mia. In the first scene we see Light attempting to save ol girl from a 19 year old man stealing lunch money from a teenage girl or some poo poo. He inserts himself between the two but beyond that he fizzles out, not willing or able to throw a punch. He promptly gets knocked the gently caress out. He gets detention because the kid did like 15 other kid's homework, idunno, where he cowers from meets out at the first sighting of the God of Death and inspired casting choice Willem Dafoe.

So Disney kid receives, through no fault of his own, a bound contract with a demon that scares the living poo poo outta him. This contract gives him the power to kill any person on earth after doing a fb search of the victim's name. Before he even has his own montage of playing around with the death machine he decides to show it to his one true love, Mia, a girl who only talked to him because he saw the school bully get his head chopped off.

In this film she plays the Lady Macbeth role of telling her man to stab his way to godhood. Highlights of her arc include stealing a page from the book to kill the fbi, telling light to kill his own father, writing Light's name in a bid to steal the book for herself, getting mad that Light wrote Mia's name in the book in retaliation. Each time Light halfheartedly disagree's with her and she rolls right over him. She is a snake of a character and Light gave that crazy ho too many chances. Every single interaction with her on screen led to my wife saying "loving around with them white girls". She is the reason Asian Alfred gets got, so gently caress her.

I'm fizzling out. But basically Deathnote as done by Netflix is the whitest god damned telling of an asian story I've ever seen since David Karadine's Kung Fu. I ain't even mad anymore, they mayonaised up this script so much it would be jarring and impossible to see an asian teen perform in this. Willem Dafoe is the best anytime he is on screen. Only watch this if you are really, really, really high. Edit: The soundtrack was dope.

Wait.... they made light not initially ok with his murder powers? That's like the best part of death note, how quickly light, all on his own turns into a megalomaniac

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

Wait.... they made light not initially ok with his murder powers? That's like the best part of death note, how quickly light, all on his own turns into a megalomaniac

I was stoked for Lakeith as L and Dafoe but that's about it. Not surprised they're the best part.

And if you're gonna whitewash Light they should've at least made him attractive, and had him coast on his white privilege to get away with being Kira. they could've actually told an interesting story about the white megalomaniac (a Dylan Roof type figure) which could further complicate his relationship with L but that would be too interesting I guess.

I'm really bummed they hosed up the source material because I remember really digging Death Note when I was younger.

edit: and sorry about the lack of an Asian thread. You are welcome to start one or keep posting here as long as you're down like these gentlemen:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 1, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That's weird that they got rid of a lot of Light's agency and basically pasted his negative features on Mia. Weird as in it has sexist undertones.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

I was stoked for Lakeith as L and Dafoe but that's about it. Not surprised they're the best part.

And if you're gonna whitewash Light they should've at least made him attractive, and had him coast on his white privilege to get away with being Kira. they could've actually told an interesting story about the white megalomaniac (a Dylan Roof type figure) which could further complicate his relationship with L but that would be too interesting I guess.

I'm really bummed they hosed up the source material because I remember really digging Death Note when I was younger.

edit: and sorry about the lack of an Asian thread. You are welcome to start one or keep posting here as long as you're down like these gentlemen:

This is what struck me a lot about Kira in JJBA. Most media will portray their villain as evil by making him bugfuck crazy, or a disheveled minority, or just weird looking in general. Hell, even the killers in seven or silence of the lambs are only superficially normal. But if you stripped away Kira's serial murdering tendencies he could be the protagonist of any number of stories.

I really like that he is p much conformity the villain and it's one of my favorite parts of JJBA part 4.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaunab posted:

That's weird that they got rid of a lot of Light's agency and basically pasted his negative features on Mia. Weird as in it has sexist undertones.

And managing to be more misogynistic than the original Death Note is quite a feat.

Tsugumi Ohba does not have a vast amount of patience for women.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I actually like the Mia character from Death Note significantly better than the Misa character from the original. She actually has agency and her own personality rather hang just being Lights yes lady.

That movie would have been better served changing the names of p much everyone. And not referencing the Japanese names at all. Just keeping the concept of a Death Note.

The Japanese Death note live action movie exists and is actually good(better ending than the manga for sure). I don't need or really want another exact retelling of the manga's L story. Do and try new stuff. And the Light and Mia relationship and scheming is cool, like the framing of this stereotypical corny high school love story within a series where the "climax's" involve mass murder is a cool idea.

The casting stuff aside I genuinely enjoyed Death Note. But only because I just took it as it's own thing rather than trying to be an adaptation of a manga. I viewed it kinda like how every Sherlock Homes adaptation tweaks characters and settings to suit what the director wants.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

like manga Misa was much just a Yes, master. I will do whatever you tell me to do master. While Light did not give a flying gently caress about her.

That is way more offensive to me than Mia's character. But I'm not female so I dunno if that's just me.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dexo posted:

like manga Misa was much just a Yes, master. I will do whatever you tell me to do master. While Light did not give a flying gently caress about her.

That is way more offensive to me than Mia's character. But I'm not female so I dunno if that's just me.

there are ways to do misa better without turning her into the reason light is a monster

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sure there is. Tons of ways you can handle everything but what does it matter one way or another. It's mostly executed well and I love it.

This movie very clearly is not trying to be a direct adaptation. Light Turner and Light Yagami are not supposed to be the same characters they outline that at the start where Ryuk has to tell LT to use the notebook, while LY does it with no goading.

http://kotaku.com/what-we-mostly-liked-about-netflix-s-death-note-1798503211

These better writers than me pretty much sum up my feelings on this movie.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Figured this might appeal to some folks in the thread, Verso Books has 40% off for Futures of Black Radicalism for the weekend, along with a number of other black authors.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dexo posted:

Sure there is. Tons of ways you can handle everything but what does it matter one way or another. It's mostly executed well and I love it.

This movie very clearly is not trying to be a direct adaptation. Light Turner and Light Yagami are not supposed to be the same characters they outline that at the start where Ryuk has to tell LT to use the notebook, while LY does it with no goading.

http://kotaku.com/what-we-mostly-liked-about-netflix-s-death-note-1798503211

These better writers than me pretty much sum up my feelings on this movie.

I just don't making misa/mia into a cliché as old as the Bible is an improvement at all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Condiv posted:

I just don't making misa/mia into a cliché as old as the Bible is an improvement at all

That's cool, it's your prerogative if you like it or not. I get not liking it, but I think it's done well here, and makes the Light T./Mia relationship more interesting and relevant than the Light Y./Misa one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This subforum is pretty good. 😲

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hey. I check this thread out a fair bit, but I don't generally post because I'm a sheltered white dude without much of meaning to contribute. Today I have something to share.

At work this morning, I caught myself treating a dissatisfied customer with suspicion when I had no reason to distrust them. I had a moment for self-reflection during the interaction, and I realized that the reason I found her story was suspicious was simply because she she sounded black over the speaker, and I am subconsciously mistrustful of black people. By treating her with anything besides the respect and courtesy I'd show anyone else, I was the problem in our society. I can at least say that after being struck by the reality of the situation, I corrected course and accommodated her as she deserved.

I'm sorry to make you read another story about a black person being treated poorly simply for being who they are, but the point of all this is that what you're doing here is working. If TB, Koalas, Gfsincere, and company hadn't fought the fight to break through into a safe space for edgy white kids and persisted even in the face of hostility from people who called themselves allies, I don't know that I'd have had the self-awareness and the willingness to admit to myself that racism is a problem I have to work through. You guys forcing me to confront the realities that I didn't want to believe have helped me start the journey from having right opinions on the internet to acting rightly in the world, and I sincerely thank you for it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Thank you so much for posting that! NGL it's can be easy for me to get discouraged. I try hard to be patient but some people wear you down and I feel that am painted as the angry mulatto a lot. Posts like this remind me that is actually important and I actually am helping even if it's just by posting here. :)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

so um KM, i never realized kale was such a sign of problems to come. i guess i understand gentrification a little bit better now. :shobon:

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 2, 2017

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Octatonic posted:

so um KM, i never realized kale was such a sign of problems to come. i guess i understand gentrification a little bit better now. :shobon:

Holy poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Octatonic posted:

Oh my goddddd

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm absolutely not surprised at all that your QQCS/GBS fan club is stalking you into that thread again, KM.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I'm absolutely not surprised at all that your QQCS/GBS fan club is stalking you into that thread again, KM.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What in the hell do those posts mean?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

What in the hell do those posts mean?

Kale (the poster) was making GBS threads up the Trump thread last night

Kale (the veggie) is heavily associated with Whole Foods.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Koalas March posted:

Kale (the poster) was making GBS threads up the Trump thread last night

Kale (the veggie) is heavily associated with Whole Foods.

Ahhh, okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This should probably go in the OP

http://www.theroot.com/five-rules-for-black-cookouts-and-life-1798706295

Phone posting so no quotes but drat

• Locked thread