Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Since the misogynoir thread talked about PoC artists a bunch, I'm gonna throw my own hat in the ring here with an (admittedly male) one. Alex Boye does really good music. A lot off it is taking popular music and in his words "Africanizing" it, although he does have a bunch of original work of his own. He also does a lot of work with kid's choirs and churches and just seems like a cool dude in general.

This is probably my favorite song of his if only because of how absolutely giddy he looks during it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMHp7_kPec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

negromancer posted:

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book, pretty much anything by bell hooks, and there were tons of suggestions in the last thread.

That's a great new name.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Edit: Nah, I been talking too much about myself in these threads. Suffice to say, Beyoncé is hella cool.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 8, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The Simpsons live in Springfield, North Tacoma (NT)

And in other cartoon news more relevant to this thread, Skeeter from Doug was black.

Wait did some people really not get that? He was a noticeably different color and he just generally acted like a children's show cliché of a black person.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Koalas March posted:

They did the right thing

edit: hahaha holy poo poo

I'm loving rolling

Oh wow, someone was salty.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Barudak posted:

Bay Once

How have they never heard it pronounced before?? :psyduck:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

"Show-bahn". God drat, it's like Sinead O'connor never existed. But Sean Bean's name should absolutely rhyme and gently caress his parents for doing that to us.

It's actually kind of more like Shuh-Vahn because Irish is weird.

And to actually contribute, I've definitely hosed people's names up before, especially last names. They'll usually correct me and I'll try to use the correct pronunciation. I really don't get how that's hard for us white people to do.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

djw175 posted:

Well I'm a dead gal walking (possibly in more ways than one if Pence has his say), so while I'm still here, I'm gonna say this. Thank you so much for this thread and the negrotown thread. They've both taught me so much about the racism that I as a white person can't really notice by myself. You've also all been incredibly accepting and I want to thank you for that.

Now, I'm off to try to put my own poo poo in order. I hope things aren't too much worse for you in a post Trump world.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

how in the sweet gently caress did any trans person vote to make MIKE PENCE the vice president? he who wants to electrocute the queer out of them? gently caress this entire earth.

I don't loving know. Every trans person I've talked to is terrified for our safety. How the gently caress do you even loving vote Trump, even if you're incredibly selfish? The trans thread's a somber affair now beyond privileged poster saying it won't be too bad.

Koalas March posted:

Vote me as your black vigilante IK and I will make these forums great again.

You sure as hell have my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey, a good friend of mine was just beaten and robbed in San Antonio. Please stay safe all you guys. I wish my race wasn't so loving poo poo. I really wish we weren't.

• Locked thread