Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

So what happens when you get a race - reversed Tamir Rice incident? A uniformed black police officer shoots and kills a white kid playing with a toy gun. Will the privilege of being an officer override the privilege of being a white victim? Will the officer's colleagues and union stand behind him with the same vigor as a white officer? Could we expect the same degree of victim blaming levied at the child, or will he be deified for being an innocent victim of police misconduct?

What happens is, at least as far as the racist public is concerned, is it gets turned into a tool to shout down BLM. It gets turned into "See, white people aren't rioting over this," "The media won't cover this story!" etc. The logic of it doesn't matter.

edit: source: Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

I actually kind of miss whale tails.

Isn't Voguing well over a decade old at this point?

Voguing is actually a great case study in appropriation. Watch Paris Is Burning https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Is_Burning_(film) . Then read about the making of it, and what happened to some of the people involved as the filmmaker and people like Madonna built careers on their backs.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

I am just now realizing I missed the hearing. How did that turn out? Can I watch it anywhere?
Edit : Oops, sorry I misread. I shouldn't post before coffee
Here's a transcript: http://www.bluejersey.com/2017/01/transcript-sen-cory-bookers-testimony-against-sen-jeff-sessions-for-attorney-general/

Apparently only three R senators stuck around to hear him talk.

I liked this bit because it really cut to the heart of all the bloviating about the Majesty of the Law that Sessions et al. went on about :

quote:

America was founded heralding not law and order, but justice for all. And critical to that is equal justice under the law.

Law and order without justice is unobtainable, they are inextricably tied together. If there is no justice, there is no peace.

The Alabama State Troopers on the Edmond Pettis Bridge were seeking law and order.

The marchers were seeking justice – and ultimately the greater peace.
He went on to get more specific about how Sessions sucks, and said " Challenges of race in America cannot be addressed if we refuse to confront them. Persistent biases cannot be defeated unless we combat them. The arc of the universe does not just naturally curve toward justice – we must bend it."

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread