Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

DJ Khalid taught me that although I think he's stopped doing it lately.

DJ Khalid is a space alien from the planet Fabulosa so it makes sense that he'd need a little time to get up to speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What are you on about? Donald Trump is still in office.

This is not on-topic for this thread, because no one in the Trump admin is black except for Omarosa and Bullet Farmer, but he's right. Trump is a shitlord and a Republican but "alt-right" is something specific and he's not it. He parrots everything they say, but he does that with anyone. It is going to be interesting to see what changes now that Bannon's gone.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actress/singer Kat Graham has made a new PSA spot for BLM:
http://www.essence.com/celebrity/kat-graham-black-lives-matter-video

You're the last person, aside from Chappelle, I would expect to ask that we give that blatantly racist piece of garbage 'a chance'. Bannon wasn't the one who just got on stage and defended literal Nazis yet again today at the AZ rally.

Also, welcome back TB

That's not even remotely what I was saying, what the gently caress? Like literally what the gently caress. Nice welcome, you unbelievable rear end in a top hat. It's been fun watching your psycho rear end bully everyone in TGRS like the real-world version of what every whiteboi goon pretends I am.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm pretty much at the point where "confederate/lost cause"/Nazi/"Alt-Right" falls under the same umbrella.

If someone stands with or otherwise supports Nazis that is pretty much a one way ticket to "gently caress that person forever".

What is really hosed up is it took literal Nazi rallies to prompt the removal of Confederate monuments to slavery.

I dread wading back into this since HotCanadianChick is going to call me a Bannon defender again (you loving idiot), but gently caress this, terminology matters and "both things bad so both things same" is dangerously lazy. There is more than one type of right-winger in the US. They are all bad, but there are differences between the factions and ignoring them to make some point about how you hate right-wingers the mostest is more than stupid, it's dangerous.

Just because someone isn't technically alt-right doesn't mean I like them, you loving morons.

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't believe it's about giving him a chance. It's about seeing what strange new manners his racism manifests in now that he's working with a different kind of racist.

This guy gets it.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 23, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

The problem is that alt right is a term they came up with to distance themselves from racist groups with more incendiary names. It is meant as a softener for their racism.

Arghhhhh...
1. This is a thread about black people and black issues. The alt-right are categorically not black, so why the gently caress are we talking about them in here.
2. No one is saying the alt-right aren't humongous racist pieces of poo poo. But seriously, words mean things. Just because a person is bad, and a group of people are bad, doesn't mean that bad person is a member of that bad group. If I told you Hitler was not a member of the Khmer Rouge that does not mean I think Hitler's a great guy.
3. Biracial Bear for Uncut does this "BAD THING ALL SAME THING!!!@!!@1" poo poo literally every chance he gets, because for some broke-brained reason he thinks that makes him look smart, and HotCanadianChick was trying to score points on me. What's your excuse, Fluffdaddy? I normally think of you as better than this.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

I wasn't really posting in your general direction. It's not always about you.

No it's about my deep love for our lord and savior, President-for-Life Donald John Trump.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HotCanadianChick posted:

*pauses Return of The Mack and puts the bottle of Hendricks back on the shelf, then puts some foil back over the greens*

Well... I guess there's not gonna be no welcome back cookout after all, if you gonna decide you need to get all up in your feelin's and poo poo.

Y'all can still have the dino av I drew for you while you was gone as a welcome back present tho

And the welcome back was, in fact sincere, whether you like it or not.

Dude you accused me of being a Trump supporter.

I do love the dino av, sincerely. I don't want us to be enemies, but imagine how you'd feel if someone accused you of that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HotCanadianChick posted:

I didn't think you were a Trump supporter, but it felt uncomfortably like you were implying things might get better now that wannabe ringwraith Bannon is out, and I just couldn't stay silent on that.

Like I said before, you're one of my fav posters 'cause you ain't afraid to speak out on what you feel is right, and you stay pushing back against fuckshit, and that's an admirable trait to me (even if I do sometimes catch the wrath).

I think errybody done left for the club, but there's still some fried catfish and a couple bottles of Dos Equis if you still down. :shobon:

I definitely wasn't, it was more of a "let's see where this ride goes next!"

And confession time: I never drink Dos Equis bc I'm never sure how to pronounce it and I don't want the bartender to laugh at me :ohdear:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

The nice thing about Spanish is the pronunciation rarely changes unlike English. So it's simply "Dose Eh-keys" When your in a hurry/drunk you can mash it all together in a quick "doe-seh-keys" and still be fine.

:cheers:

Ok now everyone help me brainstorm a tagline for my new av dino:

All I can think of is "Here comes a special boy" but that's not really on-brand for me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

I remain unconvinced of the criticism of Cory Booker. I think he is a strong candidate with liberal views. All of the critiques I have seen of him have been wishy washy guilt by association poo poo with a heaping topping of inferring that he is in bed with Wall Streets because of campaign donations. I find the argument similar to the bullshit argument about how Obama shouldn't take speaking fees because reasons.

Yeah I agree, and I think people who criticize him for supporting charter schools don't know the context of that issue in a black community. White people like charter schools because they make it easy to exclude minorities and people with disabilities. Black people are looking for any way to replace the public schools that those white people ruined.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Glambags posted:

Going to a black barbershop for the first time was a revelation for me, being biracial and black and light skinned growing up in a predominantly white area

Isn't it magic to discover what's growing out of your head isn't just faulty white-people hair, but something that can actually look good in its own way?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

I am still trying to get my hair completely on lock. I moved to a new area and the stylists here all seem to cater to other minority groups with really straight hair. I have a routine that sort of works but involves am excessive amount of Lush products and I can't help but feel my hair could be way better if I could find a stylist who knew anything about mixed hair.

I would advise looking for a biracial stylist. I never get good results unless the person working on my hair has my hair type. Have you tried looking on facebook?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"[marginalized group] has a problem that needs solving."
"I'm a straight white cis man and I don't have that problem!"
"...right. We're talking about a problem that faces this group that we're talking about."
"But I don't have that problem!"
"Good?"
"I've never seen anyone who has that problem!"
"Well lots of people do so-"
"I saw some people who don't have that problem!"
"Good? We're discussing something here though so-"
"God, why won't you just drop it already?"
"Please let us talk."
"WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY ALL THE TIME?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

I had this idea for a while when everyone seemed to really liked talking medieval paintings, I thought maybe people would be interested in modern art as well? First artist I would like to talk about is Kerry James Marshall, he was actually just featured in Art Forum in January of this year. His artwork sometimes integrates other modern art movements (such as De Stijl, and Minimalism), and at the same time explicitly about Black Culture, and history. A lot of his paintings feature Red, Black and Green which are the colors of the stripes on the Pan-African Flag.

These are incredible, thank you. My favorite bit is in Club Couple, the ring box he's holding behind her back. It's still just an ordinary night out for her - she has no idea :3:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Turtlicious posted:

So I quit drinking recently, and am going through some stuff, and I had a question for a friend, but to make things easy, let's just use me as an example.

I lie about the internet about my race, because when people find out I'm half white + see a picture of me, they either A.) Assume I'm lying, or B.) get really weird and racist.

I don't know why I came out the way I did, but I (my friend) was raised in a black community, was adopted by black parents, and lived a for lack of a better word, black life.

Is it wrong to just go by being white for as long as I can pass? It makes my life easier, and it doesn't matter to my foster mom, and if I was white raised by her I'd still be white, and for all purposes of racist / oppression I'm white. So is it a super big deal for me to just keep telling people I'm white?

Passing is 100% Negrotown approved as long as you promise that anytime you're alone in a room of yts starting sentences with "I'm not racist but..." you unleash the dramatic reveal. You gotta let 'em get a few good ones in first though, to really make it count.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PathAsc posted:

I'm unsure what black has to do with it, but thank you for the explanation. Seriously, that's good to see.

Because as frequently as people forget, this thread is still Negrotown, a thread for discussing black issues. Of which there are more than a few, yet the only thing you and yours want to discuss is black posters.

PathAsc posted:

Calm down
Like clockwork.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"I am unsure what blackness has to do with anything" said the guy posting off-topic in Negrotown.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone who uses the "comedy forum" defense should get 100,000 hours by default anyway.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PathAsc posted:

Yes, you're right, no one may come into a thread and discuss what has happened. And sure, it's the black thread, but I'm wrong to ask about things that come off as defensive? How is asking for clarification on a statement a bad thing? No I don't post on here, but I try to read every once in a while because I feel there's good discussions to see.

And phase 3 is engaged. Quick reminder to everyone that phase 5 is "IF I TURN RACIST NOW IT'S YOU PEOPLE'S FAULT!" so be sure to get your jibes in on time so you can get a shoutout in his shooting spree vid.

Nobody would mind a new poster who actually had on-topic things to discuss, but "I'm not a part of this but I came here to say you're doing it all wrong!" is no more welcome here than it would be in Games or SAS. Yet for some reason people feel much more entitled to act that way in here than in those places.

If only there were some thread where black people could discuss black issues, so we could figure this one out.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 29, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Equating melaninated skin with dirt infuriates me. One of my earliest memories is a little white girl I went to school with asking me "why don't you wash?"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Taerkar posted:

I was stuck in a horrible amount of traffic right after the eclipse and it took me 3 hours to move ten miles on an interstate, and that was in good driving conditions and without people fleeing from an oncoming natural disaster. Evacuating a modern city, especially one the size of Houston (#5 in the US?) would make the traffic I had to deal with look like a pleasant summer drive. Also I think when they evacuated Houston before (Rita?) quite a number of people died during the evacuation because of the horrible traffic.

And even by some miracle you could magically evacuate anyone that's only the first thing. Where do they go? Most people don't have the financial security to afford being away from a paying job for a week, let alone having to live on what little they could pack.

The 'Why didn't they evacuate' is probably one of the worst examples of 'Smugthought' regarding these things, just slightly under the 'maybe they shouldn't have lived where there are hurricanes' bit of genius insight.

Also GBS is pretty much stormfront lite these days.

Ordering employees to disobey evac warnings and report to work should be punished like price-gouging is, $25,000 per infraction.

And a huge contingent of the "why don't they just-" people constitutionally cannot comprehend that black people live where they do because of slavery and racism. And any time black communities manage to better their circumstances and get some prosperity, white people smack them back down as violently as they can. Just ask Tulsa.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

Who told him that? If I had to guess it's someone who rhymes with boon.

Edit: holy loving poo poo a 'civilized' thread.

Hm.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do what your heart tells you...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

....there is a record of who buys these things right?

I always figured that there should be a double edged effect to buying Avs like that. If you correctly guess who it was that you made angry enough to drop $10 to try and hang an albatross on your neck, then that person eats a ban.

Like, you get one guess (or maybe more depending on just how "not mad" you made them) and have to contact a mod to verify.

And maybe just a little bit of oversight for crazy toxic poo poo like TB's right now, like holy poo poo. Just eat a ban off the bat for paying for something like that.

Oh poo poo, I have avs off so I hadn't even realized I had one. Not that the ravening pinkdick horde will ever listen, but buying me redtexts is a huge waste of money if your aim is to hurt my feelings, because avs off foreverrrrr

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Death Bot posted:

There isn't, it's processed off-site and no buyer record

That's what they say, at least. But even if it were true, "civilized" people would go "oh poo poo we should close this huge loophole" instead of "welp, if you don't like it don't be a minority on this site."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Taerkar posted:

Watching people realize why black people mostly live in the south is both amusing and depressing.

The coast of an ancient sea...

How Presidential Elections are Impacted by a 100-Million-Year-Old Coastline

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paracaidas posted:

I'm glad we can all just come together and agree that this av is clearly a false flag because SomethingAwful doesn't have any racial issues and any perception that posters who aren't white men are moderated or treated differently is entirely inside the minds of those posters. :shrek:

You don't hear this enough TB, but you're awesome. Even when I disagree with your posts or points, I'm enlightened and expanded by your perspective. Which I'm pretty sure is the most rare phenomenon on the internet.

Thank you, I needed that today :unsmith:

In racism news: Moving this weekend and my white husband dealt with the realtors initially. When I followed up they suddenly got incredibly chilly and started trying to talk me out of the place we'd already put a non-refundable down payment on and warned me repeatedly how expensive the monthly cost would be and spent a lot of time telling me about all the various ways I could find myself in legal trouble with them and how quickly my future neighbors will call the cops regarding any "disturbances."

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 30, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Last friday I went out with a coworker and met his sister who told me it was ok to say the n word because her best friend is black and said she couls, but not the best friend that she had introduced me to earlier. The other friend who wasn't there at the time. She then said it was all good since her dad was a white n-word so she undstands it.

Then she told me the confederate flag was about being a rebel.

We had a very long discussion about why this is all hosed up and wrong.

Good work, Hoots :3:

But I don't think even a racist deserves that

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Good job on kicking the alcohol TB

I have done nothing of the kind :colbert:

Also everyone admire my cutest avatar yet :3: I don't know who picked it but A+++ good job would rowdy up racists again

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe wypipo wouldn't be so racist if they had a decent meal once in a while.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sean10mm posted:

I read the title as a really dark joke playing on how Bill Clinton was called "the first black president."

Me too, and considering Coates' sense of humor I'm certain that was intentional.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Mr. Popo is a golliwog?!?!

What the hell else would he be, looking like that? Japan is one of the worst places for not even conceiving of black people as part of the human species.

I haven't travelled internationally as much as some people but I deal with international film markets in my job and the poo poo Eastern Europe and all of Asia say about movies with black actors is unbelievable.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

nerdz posted:

Here in Brazil it's completely normal to only move out of your house when you marry. I got married this year at 31 and my house is the second house my wife has ever lived in.

I always thought that barring family problems (which was my reason to move out), it makes no sense not to live and contribute to your parent's house as an adult until you're perfectly able to move out on your own terms. The parents get their ROI from child rearing early by having some bills paid and the kids can afford to save money for more important things and emergencies.

It's very stupid to kick your kids out at 18 and still pay everything for them. What's the point? No one can afford that bullshit in third world countries.

It's also fun to see how countries that work like this have an abundance of love hotels compared to the US.

The problem is in the US, the town where your parents live very likely doesn't have a job for you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Today I asked a white man why he thought it was okay to call me "it" and he said:

Whiter than phosphorus and just as painful when it goes off in your face.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

I agree with your frustration, but maybe you should black his name put so you don't get accused of doxxing him.

It's not a real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

Since the other thread was closed I guess I will go back to updating everyone in this thread.

I found a place to live at the end of the month! I've got the deposit in already but I am still short of the rent.

Today is my birthday! I never thought I'd be bringing in my year stuck in a hotel with my dog.

So I am still looking for whatever help I can at my paypal . About 800 short of my target, which hopefully I will be able to cover most of myself.

Happy birthday! :toot:

• Locked thread