Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Morby posted:

They're definitely dropped. This isn't just a normal election where the other side does some stuff disagree with. It's troubling to me that I could misjudge so many folks and our relationship, though.

If you want to try discussing systematic oppression in the future a popular video that can show how it exists is brown eye/blue eye experiment. There are bunch more if you search on youtube "Jane Elliott, Brown Eye Blue Eye Experiment".

Nude fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/138921/bernie-sanders-meant-say-identity-politics

So apparently Bernie Sanders called out what I would call tokenism and identity politics. But I can't help but think that the man hasn't learned poo poo from the primary and just doesn't know how to speak beyond general economic issues.

It kind of reads as a pivot to what he thinks the "real" issue is, unless I'm missing something. That kind of sent me through a rabbit hole of looking up Bernie speeches, and basically what I found was no matter the issue it always ends with "help the working class", so yeah I agree with you I don't think learned.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

botany posted:

Is there a list or a blog or whatever out there that collects all the instances of racist casting decisions in Hollywood movies? From blackface / yellowface to whitewashing, i.e. let's cast Tom Cruise as the last samurai also all our Egyptians are now played by British men. I realize this isn't really a question specific to the black experience in the US but I figured this would be the best place to ask.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR2nuN3Oo4
Stumbled across this video, I don't know about channels but I think this is a pretty good start to researching racism in Hollywood. Don't really follow blogs, but Black on Black Cinema (it's a really good podcast) analyzes films and talks about them from both a cinematic and from a black perspective, also since I'm talking about podcasts Friends Like Us is another good one more about comedy, with a round table of black woman comics and one guest. There is a lot of range on the podcast from interviewing news casters to other comics in the scene.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Hawkgirl posted:

:allears: I think it is my dream for you to make a big old effortpost about POC education. Not sarcasm, I would hang on every word.

$20 Principle seems like it applies to young POC of all ages, not just college-age. Seems like all of childhood is the death of a thousand cuts. I wonder how many other times $20 could have made the difference in her life.

If you're curious on education in America in general, I have some resources on the topic. The first one is a This American Life (stay with me) that spends an hour with reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones talking about black and white schools, and closing the achievement gap. Her solution: integration. The episode goes more in depth on how white people are still keeping the schools segregated using boroughs to section off white and black neighbors. Here are some excerpts from the talk (When asked why she thinks integration is the solution):

Nikole Hannah-Jones says posted:

I think it's important to point out that it is not that something magical happens when black kids sit in a classroom next to white kids. It's not that suddenly a switch turns on and they get intelligence or wanting the desire to learn when they're with white kids. What integration does is it gets black kids in the same facilities as white kids, and therefore it gets them access to the same things that those kids get-- quality teachers and quality instruction.But I didn't really understand until I started covering education that we were part of a desegregation program.

And one of the things that has been challenging as I write these stories is knowing that bussing for me was actually very hard. We had to get up really early, but also we were being taken out of our community into someone else's community, where not only was it a white community but it was a wealthy community, and I was coming from a very black working class community. And so socially, it was very difficult. You just never felt like you belonged or it was your school. I had friends and I could go to their house, but they couldn't come to mine. And there was this time when I was in middle school, there was a pool on our side of town. And then there was another pool on the other side of town. And we used to always go to the pool on the white side of town. And one day, I was like, "Hey, guys, why don't you come to my house and we can go to the pool on my side of town?" And all my white friends were like, "Yeah, we're going to do it." And then that morning, one by one, they called and said they couldn't come. And to this day, that devastates me. I'll never forget how that felt. Because I knew why. I knew why they did that.

I know from my own life, and now being able to look at the longitudinal data on it, realizing that, yes, I am living the life that that data says you live when you have the opportunity to go to an integrated school. And I think I'm so obsessed with this because we have this thing that we know works, that the data shows works, that we know is best for kids. And we will not talk about it. And it's not even on the table.

She also wrote a lengthy piece here talking about how NYC still today is segregating their schools, and how it's being reinforced by white families. The school topic is complex as it's not just schools segregation, but also housing, that is making it so cities are still divided. There are more articles talking about how apartment owners are still subtly turning down people based off of their race, also if you like this american life they did an episode on that too.

Nude fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

My only problem with it is they buried it on a pay to watch web thing where no one will watch it.

The good news is I believe netflix said they will release the episode online for people to watch, except in the US...

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

EwokEntourage posted:

Hmm yes let's just write this and then conveniently ignore the other side of it
Ya lol was just going to say that.

quote:

they/we [white men] have not cornered the market on evil behavior... Not to mention certain notorious female camp guards and serial killers.
Like of all the things to bring up, serial killers? Guy digs his own grave using the very thing he tries to defend lol.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I had this idea for a while when everyone seemed to really liked talking medieval paintings, I thought maybe people would be interested in modern art as well? First artist I would like to talk about is Kerry James Marshall, he was actually just featured in Art Forum in January of this year. His artwork sometimes integrates other modern art movements (such as De Stijl, and Minimalism), and at the same time explicitly about Black Culture, and history. A lot of his paintings feature Red, Black and Green which are the colors of the stripes on the Pan-African Flag.

Bomb Magazine Interview of Kerry James Marshall posted:

Black people occupy a space, even mundane spaces, in the most fascinating ways. Style is such an integral part of what black people do that just walking is not a simple thing. You’ve got to walk with style. You’ve got to talk with a certain rhythm; you’ve got to do things with some flair. And so in the paintings I try to enact that same tendency toward the theatrical that seems to be so integral a part of the black cultural body. When you talk about this obligation to articulate some socially relevant issue, a lot of that has everything to do with where I came from. You can’t be born in Birmingham, Alabama in 1955 and not feel like you’ve got some kind of social responsibility. You can’t move to Watts in ’63, and grow up in South Central near the Black Panthers headquarters and see the kinds of things that I saw in my developmental years, and not speak about it. That determined a lot of where my work was going to go.

"Untitled" (2009)
I like this one because of the idea of a painting inside of a painting, kind of get a little sneak peak on what the background would be. Not sure if there is a nod to abstract expressionism on her shirt, as it looks like a hint of forest and trees. One really cool thing is the paints on the unfinished canvas are the paints on the palette.

Untitled (Club Couple) (2014)

School of Beauty, School of Culture (2012)

Souvenir I (1997)

De Style (1993)
This last one is a reference to the De Stijl movement which consist of paintings with Red Blue and Yellow and sharp rectangle/lines. I figured since the topic of barbershops and hair came up it would be a nice closer. And here a link to more of the interview from above.

Nude fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 27, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Maybe I need to re-watch the first one but I don't remember Finn being that involved in Rey's storyline and it seems like they want to focus on her. But if you wanna talk about characters who were marketed to be a major part and then get shafted, I'm more bitter about the Dark Tower but that's a rant not for this thread haha. I have notice people seem to be genuinely more for characters in fiction to be represented, i.e. more poc women and men, and less focused on there should be more poc writers and directors.

I think this is a big problem in media itself, people forget that the writers and directors are the ones who tell a story, and if it's a engaging story (which is just hard to do in the first place) people tend to write what they know.

Fake Edit: This isn't meant to put down the discussion, I guess I'm just kind of rambling ranting a bit.

Nude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

KirbyKhan posted:

Mine phone has the thread stuck at 8 new posts. So instead of making a new thread, I've just internalized that I should click on the thread if there are 9 new posts.

Haha same.

• Locked thread