Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
All I ask is that you add a Negrotown gif to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Done and done.

That is literally the scene I was thinking of. :stare::respek::black101:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

G-drat, got an Africa tag and everything.

This is dope.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Where is Negrotown located geographically? I'm looking at AirBNB and they don't mention it at all. In fact, I don't see any black people in any of these pictures.

It's a lot like Springfield from the Simpsons: Everywhere and yet nowhere.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Be advised, they say the n-word so fair warning

:gizz:

The fuckin' "REEEEEE" does it for me. :laffo:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Ta Nehisi Coates next Atlantic article is going to be titled "gently caress Reparations. If They're Scared of Revenge, Let's Give Them Revenge" :smith:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Hell yes, my first redtext. I'll wear it with pride. (Though I'll also miss Reynardine; I've had him for like five years I think.)

Pretty good red text imo.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Check this out: http://megachurchsuits.com

Hit up that link and get you some clothes cuz

I was gonna ask the same thing because when I think of Black Sunday Best I think of dresses and hats not suits and ties. I do like suits that go outside of the 2 button or double breasted norm.

Denim suit tho... :barf:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Something like that happened to me. I had issues as a teenager with anxiety and depression. Was diagnosed as having Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Borderline personality disorder. Later on I found another doctor. He said I was misdiagnosed and I had GAD, and probably bi-polar disorder. The difference between them? My new doctor has 3 black children of various ages and didn't jump the gun when getting to know me and my feelings, actions and problems.

In your readings and experience does something like this correlate with socioeconomic status?

For example, I'm a black man that was raised middle class (professor and scientist parents), went to private schools my entire life and wasn't really diagnosed until college. I remember retreating from interaction and lashing out at people. Luckily, nothing like that registered as ODD to my peers or superiors so I never had to be shunted through the prison pipeline. And luckily, the doctor's at Princeton diagnosed me with anxiety and started me on medication. Soon after school, I had another counselor who thought that tough love was what I needed and I quickly left after that. What I need in my treatment is a sympathetic ear, not a hard nosed teacher to learn me a thing or two.

FWIW, every single one of them has been white.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Morby posted:

Ok, how do you engage people about privilege when they are absolutely hostile to the very idea? I mentioned to a friend that Steve Bannon's appointment scares the poo poo out of me and was essentially told "I'm tired of people blaming me for Hillary losing and I'm tired of being told I'm racist! :qq:" Like, where do you even start with that?

Continue to call them a racist and refuse any offers to settle the dispute.

Occam’s Racist: The notion that when confronted with multiple competing hypotheses for why a person supported racist actions, the simplest and best explanation is that they are actually a racist.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

negromancer posted:

I like this.

Credit where credit's due: An advisor of a friend. I just appropriated it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

So I have a question for you.

I was talking to my white Canadian friend about the election and politics and we started talking about the nature of fascism, white nationalism, etc. That kind of thing isn't really so common in Canada, or at least not so loud, so he was very confused. So I was discussing race as a fiction, why people are white supremacist, and the reason why "white identity" is bad but minority identities aren't. And I said something to the effect of, there's no meaningful differences between an Italian guy and a German guy, just as much as there's no difference between an Italian guy and a black guy. It's just a label based on appearances and national origins.

Then I was like, well I guess there's sickle cell. I have no clue why that is a thing though.

I vaguely recall hearing about it being related to malaria but it seems very... :biotruths: to me. So I would like to know if you could explain why Sickle Cell is more common in black people to me as if I were an idiot. :)

Sickle cells gives heterozygous advantage to those who live in regions where malaria is prevalent like the tropics and, you guessed it, Africa.

quote:

Through a series of genetic experiments, Ana Ferreira was able to show that the main player in this protective effect is heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), an enzyme whose expression is strongly induced by sickle hemoglobin. This enzyme, that produces the gas carbon monoxide, had been previously shown by the laboratory of Miguel Soares to confer protection against cerebral malaria. In the process of dissecting further this mechanism of protection Ana Ferreira demonstrated that when produced in response to sickle hemoglobin the same gas, carbon monoxide, protected the infected host from succumbing to cerebral malaria without interfering with the life cycle of the parasite inside its red blood cells.

Miguel Soares and his team believe that the mechanism they have identified for sickle cell trait may be a general mechanism acting in other red blood cell genetic diseases that are also know to protect against malaria in human populations: "Due to its protective effect against malaria, the sickle mutation may have been naturally selected in sub-Saharan Africa, where malaria is endemic and one of the major causes of death. Similarly, other clinically silent mutations may have been selected throughout evolution, for their ability to provide survival advantage against Plasmodium infection."

There is nothing that connects race or skin tone to this trait. It's simply an inherited trait that developed in regions where malaria is. You would be ignorant to think that only white people can have cystic fibrosis or Tay-Sachs disease in Ashkenazi Jews.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I completely understood the quote but I got the gist of "it's because of malaria." I would never have thought to connect cystic fibrosis to white people. My high school bio teacher's son has that disease and told us about it. Thank you for the explanation!

The quote was more to show that there's a mechanism underlying sickle cell's ability to prevent malaria. It isn't just because the malaria parasite can't infect sickle cells.

But the main point is that regardless of the human construct 'race', the trait developed because it gave an advantage where the benefits of being resistant to malaria outweighed the risks of having a child with full sickle cell anemia. Therefore, the people that were resistant (HbS/HbW) survived to reproduce better than those that were HbW/HbW or HbS/HbS (W = Wild type, S = Sickle cell).

Here's a paper (which I'm sure people never really followed up on :rolleyes:) about Sicily.

Ragusa et al. posted:

African admixture in Sicily has been long suspected because of the presence of the sickle gene. Nevertheless, the degree of African admixture cannot be derived from the study of HbS frequency, since this gene was most likely expanded by the selective pressure of malaria, for a long time endemic to the region. We have examined 142 individuals from the Sicilian town of Butera (12% sickle trait) to search for other markers of the globin gene cluster less likely to be selected for by malaria. The TaqI polymorphism in the intervening sequences between the two gamma genes is informative. We have found only two instances of this African marker (TaqI(-)) among 267 normal chromosomes, demonstrating that the admixture occurred at a much lower level than previously thought.

Basically, the researchers are suggesting that the sickle cell trait developed independent of race and instead developed because of selective pressure of the environment.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 16, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Eej posted:

Sickled red blood cells are... well... sickle shaped and thus tend to pop a lot earlier than normal red blood cells. This is normally bad cause it means you run low on blood faster than normal people.

However, malaria is a parasite that infects red blood cells. If it infects a sickled red blood cell, the red blood cell will usually pop before the malaria can fully grow and dies as well. The problem is that you can get two copies of the sickle cell gene and that leads to all your blood being sickle shape, which is a lot worse for your mortality than the malaria protection can make up for.

No, it's not because of the sickle shape, the text I linked above is one potential mechanism that prevents the malaria parasite from spreading.

Here's another:

http://www.nature.com/news/sickle-cell-mystery-solved-1.9342

Eej posted:

Since the mutation started in Africa and Africa is one of the main centres of malaria in the world, that's why a lot of black people have it. There's sickle cell in India as well but that's because Africans made their way over there and the heterozygous (partially sickled blood cell) people had malaria protection.
Also not necessarily true.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

there wolf posted:

Did anyone else learn about sickle cell in school as part of basic genetics? I guess our textbook writers thought it was more interesting than bean flowers and cleft chins.

Actually a better question, is there any effort towards, or benefit to doing genetic screening for sickle cell on potential parents, similar to how some Jewish communities will screen for Tay-Sachs?

I did. It's basically a model for genetic diseases. I chose to write a paper back in college about how I thought genetic research was biased against poc and was pleasantly surprised about how much research had been done into Sickle Cell in the 20th C. Needless to say, my hypothesis was way wrong.

For the second part, I am aware of programs that perform genetic screens on parents but the big hinderance in black communities seems to be a reluctance to believe that 2 carriers can have a child with sickle cell. Sickle cell is well known and people understand the ramifications, they just believe that they won't have a child with it.

http://www.nature.com/gim/journal/v9/n5/full/gim200751a.html

Gustafson et al. posted:

Conclusion: African American women have a relatively high belief of the severity of sickle cell disease and benefits of genetic counseling but frequently do not appear to believe that they are at risk of having a child with the disease. This should be taken into account in the design of educational and counseling strategies.

In comparison, I would posit that Jewish communities have taken Tay-Sachs more seriously because there's a higher risk of death in infancy due to Tay-Sachs as well as the Holocaust.

Sorry about the science derail.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

That's a whole other can of worms, there is a lot of writing about our educational system being based on Prussian educational ideas to make kids into good soldiers . Here they used those Prussian ideas but structured it to produce factory workers. I would agree with you. Kids arent wrong to have issues with the system.

By good soldiers you mean making them into obedient patriotic citizens and only being taught the basics so they can then be given things to understand? Like every time a teacher tries to teach children something outside of the typical American Judeo-Christian experience it gets labeled as subversive and you start hearing parents saying that teachers should teach the kids reading, writing, and arithmetic?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It might be good to move the education chat to its own thread. It's definitely something that can sustain a thread on its own.

I dunno this sounds like forced bussing. Why don't you just make the thread better?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Slowly but surely we can fix the internet.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/Rebranded White Nationalism-denormalizer/glfmlcifdhfpibfmokbcojfkbgfigeph/related?authuser=1

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

botany posted:

Is there a reason for that?

They're popular and they were around when anime was becoming better known in media.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

If Goku had an afro, how big would it be?

Bigger than a spirit bomb and actually useful.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Like Zegermans said, I found their show to be pretty stereotypical at times with very little of the awareness of the Chappelle show.

I think they were very aware of their type of comedy considering they were both biracial. They had a bunch of skits where they would have to deal with being black and acting white.

To say a black comedian can't do black comedy because of the optics is kind of...obtuse.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Panfilo posted:

So is the premise psycho white couple is giving black folks the Stepford Wife type treatment?

Pretty much. Instead of kidnapping and lobotomies I think it's hypnotism.

negromancer posted:

You right.

Can't relate to that existence on any level.
I mean I can. I was raised like Dexo. On the other hand, I never felt the black/white dynamic. I just felt anxious meeting their parents because I thought I would rip rear end and embarrass myself.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Yeah, please don't start this 'I'm the real black culture' poo poo.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

There's also Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_(comics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Gaunab posted:

What did you guys think of the Trevor Noah interview with Tomi Lahren? I wish he would have torn into her more. I've had some similar conversations with some friends and it's hard trying to get them to see something they don't want to.

This is the main consensus I've been getting from my friends. All I can think is that Trevor is a comedian, not a journalist, and wasn't thinking about pinning her rear end to the wall with the poo poo she said. He was attempting to be humorous more than anything.

My FB was, due to algorithms, 10:1 "She kept dodging the obvious questions about race" vs "Those sneaky liberals are all alike blaming racism on white people". I'm not sure how that equivalent but there you go. :shrug:

Raw Story posted:

Later in the segment, Noah asked Lahren if she’s intentionally trying to be incendiary with her claims, particularly her assertion that Black Lives Matter is the new Ku Klux Klan.

She listed off examples of Black Lives Matter protests turning violent adding, “When that now becomes the narrative and you’re starting to loot, burn and riot: What did the KKK do?”

“Did you say, ‘What did the KKK do?’” Noah replied. “Wow.”

Turning to Lahren’s criticism of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, Noah asked the conservative commentator what she thinks the “right” way for black people to voice their opinions is.

Lahren launched into an argument about disrespecting the flag and anthem before asking, “So because I don’t disagree with what he did, I should shut up? Because I’m white so I should shut up? I shouldn’t be able to talk about black issues ‘cause I’m white?”

“No one brought up whites at all—I never said that,” Noah responded before joking, “I don’t see color.”

• Locked thread