Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Morby posted:

Tone policing is easy. Tackling white supremacy and potentially giving up privilege is hard. If we're gonna have real discussions about race and racism, white people are gonna have to put up with being uncomfortable. That's the reality.

Yeah and you roll back to the base of the problem. The white privilege is that when the conversation becomes uncomfortable the white option to completely disengage from it and live their life out with no penalty exists. Never ever crossing the mind again, an inconvenience lower than ones shoe coming untied on a sunny day.

In a twisted way, at least people dealing angry retorts back out recognize that division exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

negromancer posted:

I'd like to know when I said anything about racial supremacy, personally.

Not my fault white people cant separate themselves from the trash heap that is whiteness and white supremacy.

If whiteness is a trash heap then why even engage?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

negromancer posted:

Because by virtue of being black and living in America, you either engage it or live off in the woods somewhere foraging for berries.

Like clockwork.

To make it more clear: is why engage through passive means? I mean you can debate and protest all you want but people who want you dead just because of your color don't care about that (equal opportunity/whether there's good roles in TV). If there's open carry allowed, maybe people should open carry? Go on the offensive? I understand there needs to be a clear message behind it but it seems like the current situation is everything gets fractured until its diluted to meaningless.

At least in the early 90s there would be a coordinated pushback by the community against attempts to undermine the effort, in the media, newspapers, now there seems to be poo poo all. I'm not blaming, this is probably due to collapse of the media.

Domestic Amuse posted:

Why even get defensive over the subject?

Seems like you're getting all "MY FEELINGS!!" and "HOW DARE THAT SILLY NEGRO" over it, imho.

What. How is your thought process to get that from my post.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The 'Do Military for College' program is horrific and even being just neutral on its existence is not good enough. I'm not talking about overseas warcrimes at all though.
On an individual level I would encourage someone thinking of doing college this way to absolutely exhaust all possibilities of other funding, through loans, working for a few years in two shithouse jobs, loving anything.

As an institution, its inherently violent to those joining. They strip you of free will, grind you down, make you feel worthless at every possible turn. The incredible amount of verbal abuse would make Limbaugh blush. It really cannot be understated. If you want someone to have a good life, succeed in life, you would not want them subjected to this program.

On top of this, as long as the program exists, a reasonable jobs program and easier college scholarships/funding will be intentionally interfered with by people who want a continuous pool of recruits.

I think the elimination of this can be approached both ways; aiming at the top, those people who legislate these things, and at a local level, steering people away from joining and creating local programs to help with jobs and college that can replace this.

My SO is in the reserves, she joined for college. I wish she had done it any other way. The amount of horrific poo poo she puts up with is unbelievable. She mentally withdraws from the world a few days before and after training which happens monthly, then there is the big 2 week thing in the summer. 30-40% of her life is just sucked up and gone due to this. It also interferes heavily with her career. Never can join her team on international business trips because of the training. Negotiating wages or changing jobs is really difficult because of the outside time commitment. Don't forget the yearly physical injuries...

The program is a vampire. It promises upward mobility but it just stamps you back down again.
Its enraging when things like school of choice is getting ripped out and the people doing the ripping point to the army as an established path out of poverty. gently caress them and gently caress people who think its enough.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I agree that KM was a good mod.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Invisible Handjob posted:

posting threads outside of GBS is scary

I might though if nobody else does it first and these sub forums end up being good

It's only going to be good if people make quality posts and topics, and by people I mean you for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Lowtax posted:

Wait, now I'm being racist because I created an entire subforum dedicated to race discussion, one that people said they wanted? I love how every decision I make is instantly vilified by both political spectrums. The left says I'm being racist for making a forum. The right says I'm being a cuck (or whatever) because I'm giving a special safe place for the left.

Oh man, you knew this was going to happen. It happens everytime a thread gets punted to its own subforum. Get real.
If threads like this one and other ones KM heavily moderated don't fit your comedy forum roadmap or your personal preference just straight up gas them and ban the posters.

Opening up this to dogpiling so you can be like 'whew that sure was a mess' before nuking it away is weak.

• Locked thread