Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally am having moderately self destructive thoughts and cannot stop. I will not act on them. And before anyone tells me to seek help I can't get it for insurance reasons. And that's NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Hey call this number. It's the suicide prevention line. It's free. 800-273-8255

I might do that tomorrow if I still feel this way, thanks

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to process all this and struggling to not completely give up. I've been having minor but still concerning self-destructive thoughts or at the very least a level of negativity that has me periodically shutting down into a shell of a man. I am not as afraid as PoC, LGBTQ+ people, women, or any mixture thereof, nor do I really have any right to claim to be. As a matter of fact, I''m sick to death for those loved ones as much as anything else. But as I've noted in previous threads and as those who know me know, I do have a fair bit to lose here, and I face almost insurmountable institutional biases in my own right in some ways.

The bottom line is, we will be on the right side of history. Progress has never been easy, and it's always been far too incremental. Racism, sexism, misogyny, ableism, and all those other horrible evils do have a hold on our society and we're reminded of them daily. But by God, I can't be sterilized against my will as a disabled man. I may be put in an institutional setting, but they're not sub-prison conditions like they used to be. By most metrics, most people support gay marriage. I'm sure some of the PoC will rake me over the coals for acting like this is something great, and they're fully within their rights to, especially since the election of someone like Trump shows the strength of the deplorables and just how deep hate runs. But guess what? Hillary MIGHT STILL WIN THE POPULAR VOTE. In the end, it's nothing more than symbolism as empty as we choose to make it. But the fact is, we are on the right side of history. It's just that it might take more time, struggle, and suffering than any of us thought to be able to get there.

Donald Trump and his ilk would like us to believe that this is and will always be their America. That MAGA is more than the horrifically loud death rattle of a contingent of Americans who are tragically uninformed at absolute best and malignantly, stomach-churningly hateful at worst. Surely there's a mix of both. But no. I'm not giving up. I will not believe in an America where The Other in all its forms is systematically held down and abused. And so I will fight. I will work. I will believe. And someday, drat it, someday we will win.

Stay strong my friends. Please.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

So while the climate and environment are clearly toast, we're headed to massive debt and an even worse recession, Russia conquering Europe and China conquering SE Asia, and voting rights burned, how would they go about challenging Roe v Wade (aside from TRAP laws) and Obergfell? Obviously they will try anything and everything, but I don't immediately see a clear way a case that challenges them could come up from the lower courts.

AFAIK there isn't really one.

• Locked thread