Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Samovar posted:

I don't think I will ever understand America.

We have an overabundance of white people (mostly men, but women too) whose lives didn't turn out as well as they think they deserve and they are terrified of brown people taking away what they do have. They think this alpha male bro will magically return them to a fictional 1950s white American utopia that never actually existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I actually disagree that Pence is worse than Trump. Pence is bad but he's bad within predictable bounds and he's not painfully ignorant and stupid.

Depends on your perspective. I have a number of LGBT friends who would beg to differ. Being predictable is no comfort when what you can predict with certainty is that he wants to ruin your life.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Is it exactly like I assume? Illusion of choice unless you're so well off enough that you could afford traditional private schools anyway?

I think so, this article goes into how some of the top schools in New Orleans keep undesirables out while claiming to be totally fair in their process: http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2016/05/exclusive_public_schools_nola.html

quote:

But Audubon, Lake Forest and Lusher are among the last seven schools that don't use OneApp. Instead each deploys a unique set of requirements so complicated that parents have made spreadsheets to keep track of the steps ... Within these details are more details. Lusher applicants, for example, must submit a profile detailing the student's experience and interests in the arts, even if the student is only 4 years old. The school office will not accept applications from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., lunchtime for prospective parents with day jobs.

Private schools also don't have to provide transportation, so that alone discourages low-income kids from attending schools they can't easily get to. Add to that the fact that a lot of these schools start in pre-school, and if you don't get in at that level, your chances of going there later on are greatly diminished.

• Locked thread