Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So the big news is ofc that Trump has won and he has won pretty bigly. Remember when bigly was funny because lol the wacky tv man is running for office lets make jokes about him. let's treat him like a joke while giving him endless tv time and talking about how he's SO CRAZY that he wants to deport mexicans and stop gay marriage, aka the things the republican party wants their candidates to do. you loving idiots you did this

so anyway it turns out that democrats decided not to go with the populist Bernie Sanders, who was doing well with demographics that democrats often struggle to get into polling booths such as the youth and new voters and instead chose hillary clinton because they are idiots. you can believe it was race fixing if you like, or you can just believe that it was a stupid decision made fairly, that's up to you. but then even though literally every polling prediction company in america said hillary would win, donald trump won and the democrats lost and they lost heavily. sure dems had a few wins -- tammy duckworth took over a senate seat, for example -- but it's a far cry from the wave they needed to take the senate. with one scotus hole already extant and more likely on the way it's going to be a very different supreme court. trump has vowed to destroy roe v wade but there's plenty other civil rights contingent upon supreme court rulings and nothing else. For example, gay marriage in states with no gay marriage laws is solely a right because of a 5-4 decision in the Supreme Court. And of course scotus can overturn any law they want, too, as they did with much of the voting rights act and may do with the rest of it. but they will also make america great again. i guess? anyway have fun in november and stuff. welcome to the year 2000 bitches!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L9kJtAM4D0

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Sorry man, but

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/796222773970567171

This kind of narrative needs to change, because while white people caused a lot of trouble, they were not the Democrats only problem.

it was so bizarre watching the hillary people talk about how OF COURSE all the unaffiliated latinos were voting clinton, she must have an impossible lead. in reality she got about 60% which is obviously more than half but not some kind of magic bullet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

maybe latinos were white all along

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

remember how having that scotus vacancy was supposed to make the gop look bad? i'd argue it's actually a huge part of why they did so well -- it's the first election since roe v wade where they were able to say definitively "vote for us and abortion will be banned" and be right. hell, they might very well be able to ban gay marriage, too!

none of this "maybe rbg will die" nonsense, there's a straight chance to get back 50 years of civil rights changes in one election and they seized on it like their souls depended on it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, the much lauded LEGALIZE WEED DUDE propositions that have been passed will be meaningless if a Trump DOJ decides to enforce the still-present federal laws and go shut down the dispensaries like they used to do for medical marijuana. There's a ton of stuff we've just gotten used to, because government has been deadlocked for so long, that all of a sudden is back in action.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

no, no, i am sure all those whites will die in the next 4 years and we can retake the senate and house and save freedom. clinton 2020

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Relin posted:

i wonder how democrats will deal with more latinos (the fastest growing population) voting republican as time goes on

president julian castro

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i made this before the election but its even more relevant now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L9kJtAM4D0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

:mitt: but its hillary clinton

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Berniebros tank election, smugly gloat about how its everybody but their fault. Glad ya'll could crucify my future as part of your tantrum.
Turns out white people are garbage no matter their political affiliation.

did you just forget hillary clinton was white

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like if you think white people are the problem why did you vote for White Hillary in the primaries. did you think "abuela" meant she was latino

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

white establishment ruins electoral chances of brave jewish man

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

The Trump Party has control of every single part of the government, of course those things are going away. Anything that could challenge White Male supremacy and will make others miserable and weak so that White Men can feel stronger will happen. This is how Dominance Culture works.

This is a dark day for the capital-R Republic, and perhaps the moment at which its fall begins. I do not have great hopes for the next five decades and I fully expect to see all of my non-cis-het -caucasian-male friends suffer and perhaps die, or escape the territory of this country as refugees.

plessy v ferguson 2.0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

So, what now? Are we really gonna see the progress of the last 8 years undone? Is this really going to go as bad as we thought?

yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

here how about this one: shoulda picked elizabeth warren

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

What the gently caress does "repeal and replace Obamacare" mean, anyway? I spent the election ignoring Trump and now I have to work out what to expect from an all-GOP government.

it means repeal Obamacare

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what i actually hope the dnc learns is what the gop learned in 2012: pragmatism is boring and nobody wants to vote for it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

I really don't understand what the crossover appeal is between Bernie and Trump. How do you jump from the guy significantly to the left of every major presidential politician to the guy significantly to the right?

it's populism you idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i can't see how the amazing slogan "if you oppose the transpacific partnership you are a stupid racist" did not catch on. gj hillary

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Haha lol you got loving curbstompted care to comment op

im pretty sure my comment of hillary and the dnc ruined everything was v clear

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bernie didnt vote for the iraq war and hadnt been investigated by highly public gop committees for years prior to the election, aka big things that helped trump portray her as a corrupt part of the establishment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

well whatever it doesnt matter now cause we got president trump and you better hope you aint a gay cause if you are you're gonna die just like in russia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im thinking we should organize a bet on how far back the scotus deletion is gonna go. gay marriage is obvious, roe v wade is obvious, letting gays organize on campus is obvious, etc. but will they go back on brown v board? who knows! maybe even further!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The Scopes Monkey Trial

drat i didnt even think of that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

my cousin came out of the closet last month. bad timing on his part

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haha remember when dems owned both houses and the presidency and couldnt even pass a health care bill without gutting it

and then they passed a weird limp-wristed insurance reform and didnt do anything they promised and lost the entirety of progressive reform for the last fifty years in an election

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

entire island of cuba to be turned into supergitmo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gay murder ruled legal in a 7-2 decision

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Presidential elections happen. lovely candidates get in. Donald Trump isn't the first, and he won't be the last. Time has a way of erasing problems of the day.

yeah but 50 years for all the scotus peeps to die sure sucks a lot to wait through!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Won't there be massive D turnout like in 2006?

well a hard right scotus could also repeal all voting protection laws so.......

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

This one I don't see happening unless we get a Constitutional Amendment, which really would drive Democratic voting through the roof.

you're an idiot then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It doesn't count as treason wishing for him to be assassinated from a non-US citizen, seeing as he isn't facing justice for anything. Though Pence is disliked and otherwise a non-entity, would he be a less volatile candidate?

pence supports brutal gay conversion camps and stuff like that. he's only better than trump if you like your republicans politely hateful

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pence is worse than trump

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually, bernie should run in 2020

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Don't the Dems have enough to fillibuster still? If the GOP was able to be obstructionist as gently caress for the past 8 years can't the dems be as well?

gop will repeal filibuster probably

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Isn't that a really bad idea

only if you lose the senate (they won't lose the senate)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh yes, the dems will be back in power in ten years and it will be angry millennials and gen x ers leading them. We'll probably pretty much turn it into a rubber stand parliament and use the presidincy in a way that would make Trump proud.

I very much doubt they can ensure even medium term domination. Trump will be to the GOP in America what Pete Wilson was to the GOP in Cali.

yeah, all those conservative white voters will vanish into an abyss in ten years

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Yes. Right this second, Putin's actual dick is inside of Trump's rear end in a top hat. They're both having a wonderful time.

trump finally pivots on the gay rights issue

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually only stupid fuckwits laughed at the "bernie bros" but i guess that does describe most major dnc staffers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

If he goes tariff war, they probably wont. At the moment they think he;'ll just get the police to kill the poor.

Considering the world was already on task for a huge recession within the next five years and Trump and the GOP probably accelerating that, why do you not think we'll win? Trump lost the popular vote and he'll have two percent less supporters next time. Trump will be the racist poo poo head he promised to be and piss off minorities while the countries economy goes up in smoke and he and the GOP will get blamed.

drat i didnt know Gerald Kaufman posted here

• Locked thread