Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
RIP America, you were cool while you lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Squashing Machine posted:

Surely, more guns will save us. The future I want is where I get into several armed standoffs on my way to, at, and from the Trader Joes

Yo read up on the Black Panthers and how necessary they were in an era where, even when black people had the most political cache they ever had up to that point, they were still considered worthless.

That time is coming again, and it isn't going to be any prettier than it was the first time around.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

This is insane doomsaying, extraordinarily anti-liberal, and only viable because it's emotionally expedient. Everyone start claiming your bell towers now, it's going to get crowded.

I'm not a liberal. This is actually a scenario where the second amendment is actually justified, because there is going to be a rise of hate crimes and police brutality, already bad, is going to get worse.

The Black Panthers were a necessary part of the civil rights movement because literally nobody else gave a gently caress about black people, so it was up to themselves to defend themselves from unjustified, unprovoked violence. They did this really well, and given the political climate that now exists, and the downhill slope it's going to go down, I would encourage all minorities to get strapped and prepare to defend what is theirs because pretty soon nobody else is going to do it for them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tatsuta Age posted:

Oh word? The long term answer to police brutality and hate crime is to uh, shoot them?

Sure, if it came to that, why not? Self defense is the right of any citizen.

But, you know, the presence of armed people is usually enough of a deterrent for people to act right, which has been backed up by history.

Once again, read up on the history of the Black Panthers, who would show up armed whenever the police were there to ensure a black man getting arrested would be arrested in the same way a white one would and not unnecessarily brutalised just because they were black.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

We'd call a right-winger who was arguing this stance insane for saying his gun was purchased to defend his life. You're willfully blinding yourself to how guns are used in practice for a fantasy of safety.

Except the people who need to get armed need to do so because, unlike right wingers, there is historical precedent for violence being used against them and it is going to go that way again.

Justified self defense is not insane.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tatsuta Age posted:

I don't understand how having a gun is going to protect anyone from police brutality in literally any scenario. I just don't.

Having a gun on you probably isn't, having a bunch of dudes with guns around you on your side? Yeah, that will help. Again, this is what the black panthers did: they policed their communities and protected them as best they could and police brutality actually did lower in those areas.

Or to put it more succinctly: "Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got? A sucker in a uniform waitin' to get shot"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

All of these examples happened before the rise of the militarized police, or are objectively indistinguishable to declaring that you would have personally stopped the Sandy Hook massacre or the attempted assassination of Gabby Giffords. It is "good guy with a gun" rhetoric wrapped in a tarp.

Dylann Roof literally happened last year, dude.

Again, it's not about personally stopping poo poo, it's about a deterrent. Abuse of power only happens when there's no consequences for it. The reason why police can shove a broom handle up a black guy's rear end or a dude can stalk and kill a teenager is because they know they're not gonna get any serious consequences thanks to their actions.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I never said those days were over. I said that encouraging PoC gun ownership is just as useless at stopping mass hate crime as it is at stopping the general phenomenon of mass shootings. You have nothing.

Pretty sure there is nothing on God's earth that can stop a determined spree shooter, because, get this, they're loving insane and not really working off the same logic and principles as everyone else. Self preservation isn't a thing for these guys, and dying is more often than not what they want.

But as pointed out, this isn't the only scenario that exists. When Bubba and his cracker friends get hopped up on cheap beer and decide they want to have a good time they're probably going to be thinking twice on their usual recreational pursuits if the target of their good natured foolin' and everyone around them is packing. Same deal with the cops.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Please don't bring up Gandhi. His ideology of nonviolence was very much a personal thing and while he advocated it and hoped that people would aspire to it, even he said that if the choice was to die or fight, you would be a coward not to fight.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

negromancer posted:

Also Gandhi REALLY hated black people.

Yeah, he did. Reading some of his writing is pretty loving eye opening especially once you realize what 'kaffir' actually means.

Anyway, even though he was a lovely person in general I see a lot of people who fundamentally misunderstand his philosophy who cite him as proof that you should passively accept your fate because it is more noble to do nothing than fight. This isn't true at all.

quote:

I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully.

--Noted Liberal Darling Mohandas Gandhi laying the smackdown on liberals

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Non Serviam posted:

I wasn't speaking about you regarding the meltdown.
You are still brutally wrong in thinking a system that deprives people of their humsn right to property is the way to go. It's of course good to know that, outside of weed infused college campuses, however, nobody will take you seriously.

Marxism isn't and never has been against personal property. There is a different between personal property and private property. A Marxist gives no fucks if you own a bike, they care about who owns the bike factory.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The DPRK is a lovely regime. So lovely, in fact, you don't need to make up poo poo to accurately portray how lovely it is, and doing so serves no purpose than to bring into doubt other claims about it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Work or starve is a pretty good example of labour enforced by violent means. I guess when you can obfuscate this harsh truth through various means then the essential violent nature of it is not really questioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is this the first time the First Lady has been an immigrant?

Well as any red blooded American will tell you Michelle is an immigrant (citation needed). Hopefully she will be the first one to be subject to Trump's immigration policy, though. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Locked thread