Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Sold!

* 6th largest economy in the world: http://fortune.com/2016/06/17/california-france-6th-largest-economy/
* 5th least dependent on federal funds: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/
* Home to both Silicon Valley and Hollywood
* One of the largest agricultural exporters in the world
* Embraces diversity and tolerance
* We also make really good wine

Just think. Without California, you can have Republican Presidents indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only way independent California could survive is if we didn't let the Southerners come with

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

got any sevens posted:

Lets just break off the coasts and wall off the central states

The Des Moines Wall

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Hey sane liberals, remember when you made fun of the insane neocons for exactly this thing? Guess both sides have the crazies, huh.

RIP the moral high ground.

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
The way out can be found in colorado: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13520908/assisted-suicide-colorado-death-dignity-right-die-election-2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Colorado, the day California becomes independent is the day all the upstream states go "gently caress you" and divert the river, causing California to immediately revert into desert.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Southern California is the poo poo part with no water. The rest of us have actual temperate terrain with watersheds

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Southern California is the poo poo part with no water. The rest of us have actual temperate terrain with watersheds

Bye bye watersheds then as parts of them are redirected to SoCal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

Bye bye watersheds then as parts of them are redirected to SoCal.

There's literally a large movement for the whole north east chunk of California to secede and become a new state just so the Southerners stop getting our water.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a California resident, I'm all for this. Not all for this enough to click that lovely link however.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Why bother? California will make its underwater exit once Trump dismantles the EPA

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

The Port of Los Angeles is the #1 busiest port in USA by volume and value and #16 globally :+)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Man Musk posted:

The Port of Los Angeles is the #1 busiest port in USA by volume and value and #16 globally :+)

Because their is a de facto free trade deal with the rest of America. Once we put the Cali tariffs in place, it won't be as busy :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait, I don't get how those posts were probate-able

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

confused posted:

Just think. Without California, you can have Republican Presidents indefinitely.

Ronald Reagan was your fault Californailures.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

confused posted:

Sold!

* 6th largest economy in the world: http://fortune.com/2016/06/17/california-france-6th-largest-economy/
* 5th least dependent on federal funds: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/
* Home to both Silicon Valleyand Hollywood
* One of the largest agricultural exporters in the world
* Embraces diversity and tolerance
* We also make really good wine

Every five years or so some CA folks put forth how California is going to become its own nation but then they realize the entire thing would collapse in a month without the constant massive government assistance in the bolded area.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A wild double post approaches!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Teikanmi posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Peanut President posted:

Ronald Reagan was your fault Californailures.

Nixon, too!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

i have been a lifelong pacifist and i will volunteer myself into the trump army to drag those motherfuckers back kicking and screaming into the mess they helped make

not emptyquoting

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Teikanmi posted:

Forget it, Jake. It's Trump's America.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the second american civil war will not be sparked on c-spam!!!!!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baloogan posted:

the second american civil war will not be sparked on c-spam!!!!!

A great pity.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Whatcha do is, you just take a big bomb and load it on a truck, right, then you drive it out in the desert. Do some computer modeling so you can find basically where the bomb needs to go, then blow off the bomb. You probably want to do this by remote so nobody gets hurt. But the thing about this bomb is that it sets off the Big Quake and just breaks the California mass off America. No bullshit about nullification or can you legally secede from the union. Physically secede from the union.

Since we're in some bullshit movie comic book timeline anyway might as well act on it.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I think that's the direction Westworld is going rn

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

How you gonna secede if you ain't got no water!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

After all this is 2016 and up is down and right is wrong and black is latino so why not? \_:v:_/

Yeah... as a farmer in the Central Valley I'm not up for being pulled into some libertopian paradise that the San Francisco and LA dream up. Instant civil war upon secession. Thanks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine a USA without California. How are the electoral votes distributed?

Imagine a USA with Californian Rebellion subjugated. How are the electoral votes distributed?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah... as a farmer in the Central Valley I'm not up for being pulled into some libertopian paradise that the San Francisco and LA dream up. Instant civil war upon secession. Thanks.

I'm with you brother. Vote for secession and then we can easily overthrow and purge the city elite since they spent the last 20 years melting down their guns and patting themselves on the back

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

BeAuMaN posted:

Think of it this way. If California becomes a nation, I'd guess that our agriculture industry would go from being as important to the state as high tech and entertainment to it's most important industry by a wide margin. If economic circumstances change, technology and entertainment can relocate to other places. You can't move fertile land. Beyond that, it would be California's key to creating beneficial trade deals. People can live without iPhones, they can't live without food.

Edit: I looked up some data on farm subsidies. Look where California falls with regards to money from the federal government:
https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&progcode=total&page=states&regionname=theUnitedStates

California receives less than half of the amount of money Iowa gets.

confused has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Nov 14, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

I say we let california secede and then we nuke it. Nevada will be unfortunate collateral damage

*revs up v-8 and rallies warbois*

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It'll be cool when ever republican in California moves to Austin.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

the parched central valley shall become an endless, glimmering field of solar power as we all survive off our soylent

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i wont take calexit seriously until i see the tie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

scuba school sucks posted:

Whatcha do is, you just take a big bomb and load it on a truck, right, then you drive it out in the desert. Do some computer modeling so you can find basically where the bomb needs to go, then blow off the bomb. You probably want to do this by remote so nobody gets hurt. But the thing about this bomb is that it sets off the Big Quake and just breaks the California mass off America. No bullshit about nullification or can you legally secede from the union. Physically secede from the union.

Since we're in some bullshit movie comic book timeline anyway might as well act on it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

be honest though

would you really miss florida, alabama, mississipi and/or texas being set adrift into the ocean

nasa is cool as heck

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

confused posted:

California receives less than half of the amount of money Iowa gets.

A few of Iowa's farmers would have you believe that they are the only people in the US with a strong enough will and work ethic to keep the whole thing propped up, but god gives them 40 acres of arable farmland with a house and they still have to beg for cheap loans and subsidies. I mean I think Regan's administration actually made the same argument in the 80's, and they still voted him in, and then he just hosed with them. They'd vote for the ghost of Mao Zedong if you could figure out a good western name for him. I think Iowa produces far more food products and food stock than California though.

I'd imagine having a small farm near where people actually need that much food would work out pretty well. I just can't imagine being desolate or starving as a single household with that much land, even if you include the hands that help work it, unless you've gone and mortgaged the whole thing. But you know, being a city slicker I owe my life to them since I'm apparently too brainwashed and spoiled to figure out how a chicken works.

Edit: There is a ton of good information on EWG's website that I didn't know about. I mean this puts it way better than I did: https://farm.ewg.org/subsidyprimer.php

dougdrums has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Nov 14, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dougdrums posted:

A few of Iowa's farmers would have you believe that they are the only people in the US with a strong enough will and work ethic to keep the whole thing propped up, but god gives them 40 acres of arable farmland with a house and they still have to beg for cheap loans and subsidies. I mean I think Regan's administration actually made the same argument in the 80's, and they still voted him in, and then he just hosed with them. They'd vote for the ghost of Mao Zedong if you could figure out a good western name for him. I think Iowa produces far more food products and food stock than California though.

I'd imagine having a small farm near where people actually need that much food would work out pretty well. I just can't imagine being desolate or starving as a single household with that much land, even if you include the hands that help work it, unless you've gone and mortgaged the whole thing. But you know, being a city slicker I owe my life to them since I'm apparently too brainwashed and spoiled to figure out how a chicken works.

Edit: There is a ton of good information on EWG's website that I didn't know about. I mean this puts it way better than I did: https://farm.ewg.org/subsidyprimer.php

At a certain point, small "family" farms will and should be phased out as they're proportionally more costly to operate compared to large, industrial farms. Not that they're any better, but they're more efficient what with economies of scale and everything. Obviously there are niches that can be filled by smaller types of farms because of certain specialties which require more attention than the hardier mass market varieties or have a smaller market cap or some other economic reason, but farming because the family's been doing it needs to be a thing of the past at this point. Of course everyone, private or public, who's into farming will pay to keep agricultural subsidies around, but I'd imagine enough of a PR campaign to paint it as a sort of government handout/welfare would sour any non-farmer on it a tinge.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Terror Sweat posted:

nasa is cool as heck

Without JPL in Cali they'd be dick hosed

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Yeah the farmers who I know of that aren't in the aforementioned group put huge rear end feed lots onto corn/soy farms that went under or became otherwise not arable, and now them and the farm hands who I personally know are doing pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Xelkelvos posted:

At a certain point, small "family" farms will and should be phased out as they're proportionally more costly to operate compared to large, industrial farms. Not that they're any better, but they're more efficient what with economies of scale and everything. Obviously there are niches that can be filled by smaller types of farms because of certain specialties which require more attention than the hardier mass market varieties or have a smaller market cap or some other economic reason, but farming because the family's been doing it needs to be a thing of the past at this point. Of course everyone, private or public, who's into farming will pay to keep agricultural subsidies around, but I'd imagine enough of a PR campaign to paint it as a sort of government handout/welfare would sour any non-farmer on it a tinge.

Most of those subsidies for California are for Cotton... which drives people to plant Cotton because of subsidies. Which hey, if there's one strength to the whole CalExit thing, it's that California's subsidies won't be driven by federal farming subsidies that are mainly focused on the midwest.

And uh, yeah... let's phase out family farms... We can watch as they slowly get absorbed into 3 large corporations that run the farms across all the United States, until they finally merge into Food Corp. I mean, hey, large centralized power has worked for our banks, I'm sure it will work just fine for our food supply. And I'm sure the lovely lobbying that we see done by the likes of Resnick or Gallo or JG Boswell won't be worse. Certainly not.

Color me skeptical.

Also looking on this list, I don't see my name on the recipient of subsidies. Geez I need to really work harder at getting on that government teet. Maybe I need to plant Cotton inbetween the grape vines to qualify? Or rice apparently.

• Locked thread