Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What's the tariff on water from the US? I'm sure that might put a damper on a Californian exit since they have to get some of their from neighboring states iirc. Same with electricity I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Southern California is the poo poo part with no water. The rest of us have actual temperate terrain with watersheds

Bye bye watersheds then as parts of them are redirected to SoCal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dougdrums posted:

A few of Iowa's farmers would have you believe that they are the only people in the US with a strong enough will and work ethic to keep the whole thing propped up, but god gives them 40 acres of arable farmland with a house and they still have to beg for cheap loans and subsidies. I mean I think Regan's administration actually made the same argument in the 80's, and they still voted him in, and then he just hosed with them. They'd vote for the ghost of Mao Zedong if you could figure out a good western name for him. I think Iowa produces far more food products and food stock than California though.

I'd imagine having a small farm near where people actually need that much food would work out pretty well. I just can't imagine being desolate or starving as a single household with that much land, even if you include the hands that help work it, unless you've gone and mortgaged the whole thing. But you know, being a city slicker I owe my life to them since I'm apparently too brainwashed and spoiled to figure out how a chicken works.

Edit: There is a ton of good information on EWG's website that I didn't know about. I mean this puts it way better than I did: https://farm.ewg.org/subsidyprimer.php

At a certain point, small "family" farms will and should be phased out as they're proportionally more costly to operate compared to large, industrial farms. Not that they're any better, but they're more efficient what with economies of scale and everything. Obviously there are niches that can be filled by smaller types of farms because of certain specialties which require more attention than the hardier mass market varieties or have a smaller market cap or some other economic reason, but farming because the family's been doing it needs to be a thing of the past at this point. Of course everyone, private or public, who's into farming will pay to keep agricultural subsidies around, but I'd imagine enough of a PR campaign to paint it as a sort of government handout/welfare would sour any non-farmer on it a tinge.

• Locked thread