Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

After all this is 2016 and up is down and right is wrong and black is latino so why not? \_:v:_/

Yeah... as a farmer in the Central Valley I'm not up for being pulled into some libertopian paradise that the San Francisco and LA dream up. Instant civil war upon secession. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

At a certain point, small "family" farms will and should be phased out as they're proportionally more costly to operate compared to large, industrial farms. Not that they're any better, but they're more efficient what with economies of scale and everything. Obviously there are niches that can be filled by smaller types of farms because of certain specialties which require more attention than the hardier mass market varieties or have a smaller market cap or some other economic reason, but farming because the family's been doing it needs to be a thing of the past at this point. Of course everyone, private or public, who's into farming will pay to keep agricultural subsidies around, but I'd imagine enough of a PR campaign to paint it as a sort of government handout/welfare would sour any non-farmer on it a tinge.

Most of those subsidies for California are for Cotton... which drives people to plant Cotton because of subsidies. Which hey, if there's one strength to the whole CalExit thing, it's that California's subsidies won't be driven by federal farming subsidies that are mainly focused on the midwest.

And uh, yeah... let's phase out family farms... We can watch as they slowly get absorbed into 3 large corporations that run the farms across all the United States, until they finally merge into Food Corp. I mean, hey, large centralized power has worked for our banks, I'm sure it will work just fine for our food supply. And I'm sure the lovely lobbying that we see done by the likes of Resnick or Gallo or JG Boswell won't be worse. Certainly not.

Color me skeptical.

Also looking on this list, I don't see my name on the recipient of subsidies. Geez I need to really work harder at getting on that government teet. Maybe I need to plant Cotton inbetween the grape vines to qualify? Or rice apparently.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

dougdrums posted:

I assumed someone who knew more than I do would inform me if this was really the case or not, but I guess I'll have to settle with the sage expression, "lmao". You can't feed pigs cotton or almonds, and I'm sure that they don't make cheap fuels and oils. The census bureau says that dollar for dollar, California's almond exports are about three times Iowa's agricultural GDP, so I'll just assume my last post was incorrect. I'm not sure how much of it is used domestically in either state, though, and a lot of our agriculture production is used as inputs for other processes. Also I'm not trying to defend Iowa or anything, its probably the opposite.

For ecological/environmental reasons, California has some of the best and varied perfect climate to grow almost anything, as opposed to Iowa. It has amazing climates, amazing soil... though a great part of this is due to the engineering miracle where we turned the central valley desert (Well, it wasn't exactly all desert, more like praire lands) into the perfect farming area via great water infrastructure... infrastructure that hasn't been invested in properly for a growing population for a long time. Economically it's not viable to grow a lot of crops though due to high property costs, labor costs, and other economic factors. And the coast also makes for some great wine grape climates... the south for some great oranges...

I mean, I'm from a farming family so my viewpoint is biased obviously, but these natural resources are pretty amazing and I find it pretty sad that over time the housing developments continue to grow further outward and eventually California will become One Huge City like Coruscant or something.

• Locked thread