Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

confused posted:

California receives less than half of the amount of money Iowa gets.

A few of Iowa's farmers would have you believe that they are the only people in the US with a strong enough will and work ethic to keep the whole thing propped up, but god gives them 40 acres of arable farmland with a house and they still have to beg for cheap loans and subsidies. I mean I think Regan's administration actually made the same argument in the 80's, and they still voted him in, and then he just hosed with them. They'd vote for the ghost of Mao Zedong if you could figure out a good western name for him. I think Iowa produces far more food products and food stock than California though.

I'd imagine having a small farm near where people actually need that much food would work out pretty well. I just can't imagine being desolate or starving as a single household with that much land, even if you include the hands that help work it, unless you've gone and mortgaged the whole thing. But you know, being a city slicker I owe my life to them since I'm apparently too brainwashed and spoiled to figure out how a chicken works.

Edit: There is a ton of good information on EWG's website that I didn't know about. I mean this puts it way better than I did: https://farm.ewg.org/subsidyprimer.php

dougdrums has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah the farmers who I know of that aren't in the aforementioned group put huge rear end feed lots onto corn/soy farms that went under or became otherwise not arable, and now them and the farm hands who I personally know are doing pretty well.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

I assumed someone who knew more than I do would inform me if this was really the case or not, but I guess I'll have to settle with the sage expression, "lmao". You can't feed pigs cotton or almonds, and I'm sure that they don't make cheap fuels and oils. The census bureau says that dollar for dollar, California's almond exports are about three times Iowa's agricultural GDP, so I'll just assume my last post was incorrect. I'm not sure how much of it is used domestically in either state, though, and a lot of our agriculture production is used as inputs for other processes. Also I'm not trying to defend Iowa or anything, its probably the opposite.

BeAuMaN posted:

Most of those subsidies for California are for Cotton... which drives people to plant Cotton because of subsidies. Which hey, if there's one strength to the whole CalExit thing, it's that California's subsidies won't be driven by federal farming subsidies that are mainly focused on the midwest.

That makes sense. It's just that in Iowa you have a billion people with 40 acre corn and soy farms that aren't really gonna grow anything other than corn or soy, since we've gotta feed all these pigs. California probably has a real demand for cotton.

• Locked thread