Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Problem description: My Computer keeps booting by itself, it doesn't seem to be related to time or day, it doesn't install updates and shuts itself down again or anything, it just boots and stays at the login screen. It happens after putting it in power saving (suspend mode i think its called) or shutting it down propper. Its driving me loving mad cause sometimes i get up in the morning and the loving computer is running, or I go to bed and see it running even if i havent used it that day.

Attempted fixes: disabled wake-on-lan in UEFI, disabled "this device can wake up the computer" for the LAN adapter, im pretty sure i disabled the whole "windows update can boot the computer to install updates" thing but i cant seem to find the option now

Recent changes: Nothing

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 fully updated

System specs: AsRock Z97E-ITX-ac, Intel i5 4690k, 16 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport, MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G, Corsair RM650X, Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm willing to bet that it's a USB device that's waking up your computer- your mouse or keyboard or something.

Run this in a command prompt (right-click the windows icon and choose command prompt from the list). It will return all devices that are currently configured to be able to wake up your computer.
code:
powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
You can then disable the ability for a device to wake up your computer by using
code:
powercfg –devicedisablewake <device_name>

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 10, 2016

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks i'll give it a try. My mouse and keyboard were in that list several times and i just deleted all of them.
Lets see how it goes.
Seeing as this happened seemingly at random it might take a couple of days to see if it actually worked :D

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp so much for that. Just had it boot again by itself even though there are no devices left in the list. Any other ideas?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A BIOS upgrade perhaps?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Open up the Event Viewer (right-click windows icon, pick event viewer). On the left-hand column expand out Windows Logs and pick System.

Either look for logs with the time when the computer booted on its own, or select "Filter Current Log..." on the right-hand column and In the "Event sources:" dropdown choose Kernel-Power and Power-Troublehsooter.

Check out the logs, look at the Reason part for Kernel-Power or Wake Source for Power-Troubleshooter.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Wake Source: Unknown

Well thats helpful :D.
There don't seem to be any logs from a selfboot in the middle of the day which is weird.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Shai-Hulud posted:

Wake Source: Unknown

Figures.

When did the spontaneous boots start happening? Any hardware changes done before that? Install any new software?

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
Try disconnecting it from the network and then shutting it down. This will eliminate any Wake on Lan - outside possibility, but it can't hurt to check.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

Figures.

When did the spontaneous boots start happening? Any hardware changes done before that? Install any new software?

I dont think so. But i cant really be sure since its so random. The last hardware changes were upgrading from a Geforce GTX 970 to a GTX 980ti and putting it into a smaller case. Not really something that should cause this.
I'll try the network disconnect just for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Shai-Hulud posted:

I dont think so. But i cant really be sure since its so random. The last hardware changes were upgrading from a Geforce GTX 970 to a GTX 980ti and putting it into a smaller case. Not really something that should cause this.
I'll try the network disconnect just for the sake of it.

Did you screw down the motherboard in all four of the mounting points?

• Locked thread