Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Just please please please for mercy's sake let it not be an out-of-touch, rich weirdo. Conservatives just elected the ultimate example of that, but that's their mistake to make and liberals should be able to do better. Then again, we clearly don't have a deep bench here, sooooo :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Michelle Obama or GTFO.

Michelle hates living in DC so good luck with that. After how her, her husband, and her entire family was treated for eight years, I'd want to get out of that town, too. I wouldn't blame her if she spent the next ten years on a beach in Hawaii. Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see her run for something, but I doubt it'll happen in 2020, if ever.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

We need to run a young Muslim woman of Mexican descent to really put a finger in Trump's eye. I'm not sure if such a magical unicorn exists, but that would be hilarious. Not realistic or necessarily effective, but hilarious.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

A decent question to ask might be: who are we going to be running against in 2020? There's a lot of reasons Trump might not be in the Oval Office by 2020, most of which are more likely for him than for most candidates in recent memory. They're obviously not all as likely as him sticking around and running in 2020, but they are possible:

(In order of possibility)

He could not run in 2020. He's a political rookie that is probably not going to enjoy the responsibilities and is definitely unprepared, so he might get burned out. We've seen younger, smarter, healthier, and more prepared presidents get worn down by the job, so I can only imagine the hell it's going to put that dumbass through.

He could resign. There's already reports that he's said he never expected to be in the race after 2015, so maybe, just maybe, he'll get bored and/or overwhelmed and simply quit, even before 2020.

He could die in office. Dude's 70, and in bad shape (despite his "doctor's" assurances).

He could be impeached. Extremely unlikely, given how stupid congress is ("He may be putting political enemies and reporters in prison with no trials, but damnit he's our guy!") but you never know. I wouldn't count on this in any real sense, but it's technically a possibility.

In any of these cases, you'd most likely have Mike Pence to run against. I think that changes the equation quite a bit, so it's a matter of figuring out how likely or realistic it is to count on Trump as a one-term president.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

NumberLast posted:

If Trump is our by 2020, what's the possibility Pence faces a primary challenge? What's the likelihood he wins?

Pence is liked in conservative circles and can actually do the job. Normally I'd say he wouldn't face much challenge in the primary, but we live in a reality where Ted Cruz still stalks the Earth.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

MustelaFuro posted:

If the DNC were to run an actor, who'd be the best liberal equivalent to Reagan? DiCaprio? Damon? I don't know, you tell me.

Dwayne Johnson.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Gringostar posted:

^^^ republican, sadly ^^^

Clooney

Affleck for the comedy answer

poo poo, really? Huh. That's too bad. Seems like a cool dude.

Kal Penn is an actually good answer to the question, though, for reasons already mentioned. Clooney and Damon and DiCaprio are all too good at their jobs and in too many good movies. Reagan was poo poo and was in poo poo movies. Kal Penn is a good guy, and smart as hell, but he's not going to win an Oscar anytime soon.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I think Hillary Clinton being a centrist and her being an unliked, unelectable scumbag are two separate things. There's hyper-partisan scumbags all over the place (see: 90% of the GOP). It's possible (not preferable, but probably more likely than most alternatives) to have an electable centrist. I'm not talking about Gabbard, here. I mean Warren and her ilk: leftists who aren't ideologically pure enough for a lot of people's tastes. At this point, we should be willing to make some compromises with the candidate. You know, just enough so that we don't re-elect a loving fascist in 2020.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

The next democratic president, whether its 2020 or 2024, is going to be someone no one on this dead gay comedy forum predicted.

If Donald Trump's nomination and election is any indication, this is probably correct.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Also, if you had asked this same forum (those of us who were old enough to vote) in 2004 the same question, I don't think anyone would have predicted a black man with a Kenyan father named Barack Obama.

I've been old enough to vote since 2000. (I turned 18 on election day in 2000, actually. BTW THANKS FOR THAT, AMERICA.) When I think back on all of the elections since then, there's not a lot of unanticipated candidates:

2000: Gore v Bush. Both of them fairly predictable, one being the VP, and one being the anointed son of a former president. McCain kind of challenged Bush in the primary, but he's also a long-time political hack, sooooooo...

2004: Kerry v Bush: Kerry was fairly predictable, given that he had been cultivating a presidential run since his youth, not unlike Mitt Romney (see below). Bush was the incumbent, so no surprise there.

2008: Obama v McCain: Obama came out of nowhere after his big speech at the DNC a few years before. People still say he got to the White House prematurely. He also won over a woman who also had been anointed and had been running for president for ten years at that point. McCain was predictable: he had run before, and everyone knew he was going to do so again.

2012: Obama v Romney: nothing unpredictable here. An incumbent versus a robot designed thirty years ago to run for president.

2016: :psyduck:

I guess my point is, this goofiness is a more recent phenomenon with just Obama and Trump, and I think it may hold up at least in 2020 because the Democratic bench is so thin. It may even be a good thing if it means we can nominate someone who isn't an entitled rich weirdo holding onto ideas that failed decades ago. But the Dems will probably break my heart by nominating Mark Cuban or Michael Bloomberg. :sigh:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

logikv9 posted:

if diamond joe ran, he'd probably get the nom

That's a good point. It's possible that the only reason he didn't run this time was because his son was dying/died. I've heard as many unflattering things about him (policy-wise) as flattering things, but I'd still take him over most of the names being thrown around the thread.

But even in this case, I just wan the Dems to have a primary without loving anointing someone from the start.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Minsky posted:

what about Dennis Kucinich? Third time's the charm eh.

Actually I'm not sure if last time he had some massive scandal. I can't remember. Maybe that's a bad sign that I can't.

Communist Gnome / Vin Diesel Or Whoever I Dunno 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen,

*~The~Worst~Argument~On~The~Forums~*

*A moment of stunned silence, then thunderous applause*

Can we get back to talking about how lovely Cory Booker is, please?

• Locked thread