Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what exactly is preventing the Democrats from having an event like the '94 Gingrich Revolution so that they can become unified and useful as a political party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Concerned Citizen posted:

single-member districts, party polarization, and the collapse of the blue dogs

What do we need to do to fix this?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Concerned Citizen posted:

wait 100 years or so probably

It's rhetoric like this that fuels accelerationism.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiction posted:

I'll concede the point and the argument even though it doesn't contradict me since it never got passed, though.

What's stopping Russ Feingold from running in 2020?

Yeezus 2020

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand the health care debate. We give free health care, with an independent set of government doctors and facilities, both for military and (some) veterans. Moral argument aside (i.e., those groups deserve it more or whatever), what prevents the same being done for civilians? We have the money. It's really jarring to go from being encouraged to see medical over the least little thing in the name of preventive care to seeing fellow civilians afraid to go to the doctor when they have clear injuries or illnesses. What the actual gently caress is this, and why do we allow it? The civilian way of life ought to be as good as or better than the service members who defend them, or else what are we defending?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just had what is probably a dumb shower thought: set a maximum price that companies can charge for the things a person needs or is expected to have to function in society to the minimum wage. Let them engage in private sector innovation all they want, so long as they keep it cheap. Keep the overall budget for these things under some percentage of full-time minimum wage work. Full coverage health and dental and optometry and prescription (and whatever other hairsplitting different kind of doctor visit stuff there may be) insurance for oneself and dependents? That'll be X many hours of minimum wage work per month. Stuff like that.

e: And if they want to raise prices, then let them lobby to raise the minimum wage.

Addamere has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fulchrum posted:

wouldn't that just lead to the company providing substandard care and charging a premium for quality (I. E. Useful) coverage?

There are zero flaws in my transient shower thoughts, for example underwater xylophones.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure would be nice if all that in-case-you-get-sick tax went to funding schools and roads instead of a bonus for some health insurance executive, too bad single payer is impossible welp

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything in the Constitution that says a fried fish cannot be elected President?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
weak

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey democrats how about we nominate a centrist this time around

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonsense posted:

lol the dnc chair thread

p good snipe tbh

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

people were still unironically using the terms "political capital" and "eleventh-dimensional chess" back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Donkwich posted:

what do you expect when you poll orcs

Swobu?

• Locked thread