Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

not even my machine democrat friends from new york like cuomo so i don't think you need to worry

That's cause Cuomo mostly works with republicans. Like literally. He prefers to work with congressional republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

The gently caress is a fish fry?

A battered and fried fish. Depending on where you are, it could be haddock or cod or even catfish. Catfish is big down south, I've heard. They're huge in the northeast, the midwest, and the south, and come from the christian tradition of eating fish on fridays. It's basically just Fish and Chips, but there's events around them all over those states, almost every fire hall or church has one of them sometime during the year.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Nov 30, 2016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

What, like a potluck? Or is there a central organisation providing a free fried fish dinner for the community?

Like, every time I have been to a church dinner, it's always been potluck, so I always thought that was what everyone used for the generalised term. Never heard off it being just Fish before.

And wasn't fish on fridays just a Catholic thing? How much traction would that have down south?

There's probably very complicated culinary history, but they're big across the south and the northeast and the midwest. It isn't always free, often times it isn't free, you pay to get in or something cause they hire someone to provide it cause frying up fish isn't easy. I've made my own before and while it was super good, it was super messy.

I donno where you're from, so I don't wanna be too mean about this but dude how do you not know anything about these? Fish Fries are in the same category of "things politicians go to" as fairs and big state college graduation ceremonies. You may not have a specific image in your mind when you think of the food 'Fish Fry'(like I do, there's a gas station near me that's got secretly the best Fish Fry you can get for the money), but surely you must've heard someone mention it as an event before this!

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Nov 30, 2016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

"We should do single payer healthcare"
"Hmm, I think I've heard about that before. It'll be expensive. And poorly run like everything the government does."
"LISTEN YOU PAPIST SAVAGES, I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS AND YOUR loving ITALIAN KING WON'T LET YOU DO IT? I HOPE YOU ALL loving DIE."

This is why it's really important to not hate who you're trying to help. If you're convinced that they're all stupid idiot racists who can't be reasoned with or convinced of anything, you, uh... won't try. You'll lose faith in the ability of your positions to convince people, you'll stop believing that politics can actually accomplish anything so why even bother? Just manage what you can and wait until the idiots are dead.
This has been shown to not bring results. If you wanna change things, you gotta try and change things.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

But shucks ain't fishmech hilarious?????

He should only be allowed to post in the gas chamber again. A fitting punishment.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

A clam bake is the superior cultural event to the fish fry.

It is based around quahogs and clams and lobsters and other things with shells instead of boring fish.

Other than I suspect they have a lot of similarities.

There's an indescribable beauty in the simplicity of a good cut of fish, battered and fried well. Simple doesn't have to be bad.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I am pretty sure what you described is actually more complex than normal clam bake preparations, which is literally "steam clams, distribute clams in huge buckets, eat your way through the buckets".

That's fair

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I just fuckin' like fish fries

They are near and dear to my buffalonian heart.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really think it's inexcusable to not know what a fish fry is. it's not a tradition everywhere as seemingly implied by some here.

A human being is totally allowed to not know what a fish fry is.

A political observer in the united states of america should know what a fish fry is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's also ok to think Tulsi is fine.

Hmm... I donno

• Locked thread