Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
high earner not yet able to comfortably afford two summer homes in maine and put my five nanny-raised children in the prepschool-ivyleague pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LinYutang posted:

high earner not yet able to comfortably afford two summer homes in maine and put my five nanny-raised children in the prepschool-ivyleague pipeline

This is the sort of educational braindrain that will doom America, I tell you!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

He's one of those temporarily embarrassed millionaires, he'll totally be the first dog CEO of a fortune 500 company some day.

Up against the wall i say!

I'm pretty sure that's the plot of a lovely live action Disney movie, probably starring Tim Allen.

Also Guillotine whoever made it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mister Fister posted:

He's one of those temporarily embarrassed millionaires, he'll totally be the first dog CEO of a fortune 500 company some day.

Up against the wall i say!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HslwZ4Kqmj0

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Her run as HP CEO in a nutshell

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

MIGF is a woman?

The though of someone seriously thinking this is just :psyduck: to me though. It's as if their takeaway from the election is that the candidate wasn't enough of a corrupt, establishment insider with no ideology beyond personal political power.

:bagl:

Quick, someone mention yard signs around her

nopants
May 29, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

pragmatism is important

opening negotiations with "hang all bankers" and accepting nothing less is not pragmatism

opening negotiations with "hang all bankers" and allowing yourself to be talked down to "regulate Wall Street?"

that's pragmatism

art of the deal baby :smugdon:

Pragmatism is giving both the murderers and murderees a seat at the table, because they're all stakeholders.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It's important to make sure investment bankers and CFO's get a fair shake.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

they can get a fair shake of my rear end in they face

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
a lot of people have been diving into Mark Blyth's work as a result of this hosed up election and that is v. good.

however, i think you should also dive into the work of people like David Harvey.

here is an interesting, short, video describing the aftermath of 2008's financial meltdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the actual infographic from wsj

my fav is the retired couple who have six figures of non-investment income

My favorite part is that they used a black couple for their lowest income example.

If I remember right, the artist they hired to draw that wasn't told what they were going to use it for, nor what the end text on it was going to be. He was understandably upset when he found out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/SaraJBenincasa/status/805902653175668736

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

What the hell is this supposed to be? Like that Ted Cruz Dr Seuss thing?or was that Rand Paul? Can't even keep it straight anymore.....

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fits my needs posted:

What the hell is this supposed to be? Like that Ted Cruz Dr Seuss thing?or was that Rand Paul? Can't even keep it straight anymore.....

A book for people who thought Into the Wild should have had a happy ending.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

a lot of people have been diving into Mark Blyth's work as a result of this hosed up election and that is v. good.

however, i think you should also dive into the work of people like David Harvey.

here is an interesting, short, video describing the aftermath of 2008's financial meltdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0
10/10 content

5/10 accent

I'm going to stick with Mr. "The country canna handle this sort of austerity capn!", thank you very much. :colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

https://twitter.com/dril/status/234636796288450560

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Best of luck to Chairman Hillary on her Long March

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

Reasons Hillary Clinton Lost:
* Racism
* Sexism
* Bernie Bros
* Jill Stein
* CNN
* James Comey
* Russia
* Julian Assange
* Reddit
* Leftists
* 14 year-old Macedonians

Not-Reasons Hillary Clinton Lost:
*Hillary Clinton
*The Democratic Party
*Ignoring the working class

:lol: why are you transcribing motivational posters at the DNC :lol:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

If Into The Wild had had Hillary as the protagonist it would have had a happy ending.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/opinion/trevor-noah-lets-not-be-divided-divided-people-are-easier-to-rule.html

Trevor Noah is extremely bad.

Trevor Noah posted:

When I took over “The Daily Show” from Jon Stewart in 2015, I was surprised to learn that my job as a late-night comedy host was not merely to entertain but to eviscerate — to attack, crush, demolish and destroy the opponents of liberal, progressive America. Very quickly, people from some quarters — mostly those same liberal progressives — criticized me for not maintaining the minimum acceptable levels of daily evisceration that were established by my predecessor.

The truth is that Jon never liked being labeled the Great Eviscerator. He didn’t think it was healthy, and he always tried to think about the details of issues with a healthy dose of skepticism before going on air and putting his ideas out into the world. But through the lens of the internet, that’s not what people saw. In the early days of the blogosphere and YouTube and social media, people took Jon’s most strident commentary and made it go viral with clickbait headlines, blowing those segments way out of proportion, compared with the more thoughtful segments that made up most of the television show. And, unfortunately, when we look back today, the evisceration (and exasperation) is what most people remember.

The experience of stepping into Jon’s shoes brought on enormous culture shock for me. In South Africa, where I come from, we also use comedy to critique and analyze, and while we don’t let our politicians off the hook, we don’t eviscerate one another. If anything, my stand-up shows back home are a place where we can push away the history of apartheid’s color classifications — where black, white, colored and Indian people use laughter to deal with shared trauma and pain. In South Africa, comedy brings us together. In America, it pulls us apart.

I grew up under the harsh racial oppression of apartheid as a person of mixed ethnicity. The lines between black and white were clearly drawn and enforced with guns and tanks, but because I am neither black nor white, I was forced to live between those lines. I was forced to communicate across those lines. I was forced to learn how to approach people, and problems, with nuance. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have survived.

America, I’ve found, doesn’t like nuance. Either black people are criminals, or cops are racist — pick one. It’s us versus them. You’re with us, or you’re against us. This national mentality is fueled by the hysteria of a 24-hour news cycle, by the ideological silos of social media and by the structure of the country’s politics. The two-party system seems to actively encourage division where none needs to exist.

This has never been more apparent than during Donald J. Trump’s campaign for the presidency. With his flagrant misogyny and racist appeals to fearful voters, Mr. Trump succeeded in dividing an electorate already primed to turn against itself. His embittering candidacy obscured the fact that the vast majority of Americans, both Republican and Democrat, wanted many of the same things: good jobs, decent homes, access to opportunity and, above all, respect.

The past year has been so polarizing and noxious that even I find myself getting caught up in the extreme grandstanding and vitriol. But with extremes come deadlock and the death of progress. Instead of speaking in measured tones about what unites us, we are screaming at each other about what divides us — which is exactly what authoritarian figures like Mr. Trump want: Divided people are easier to rule. That was, after all, the whole point of apartheid.

To the extremists and true believers of any cause, there is an idea that moderation and compromise are simply a prelude to selling out and giving up, when in fact the opposite is true — moderation brings radical ideas to the center to make them possible. Nelson Mandela never wavered in his demand for “one man, one vote”; indeed, he endured 27 years in prison to make that notion a reality. But when our nation stood on the brink of civil war, Mr. Mandela spoke to white South Africans in a language that soothed their fears and reassured them that they would have a place in our new country. He spoke to militant black nationalists in a way that calmed their tempers but did not diminish their pride. If Mr. Mandela’s efforts had failed, South Africa’s peaceful transition to democracy would never have come to pass.

Sadly, given what we’ve seen in this election, Mr. Trump’s victory has only amplified the voices of extremism. It has made their arguments more simplistic and more emotional at a time when they ought to be growing more subtle and more complex. We should give no quarter to intolerance and injustice in this world, but we can be steadfast on the subject of Mr. Trump’s unfitness for office while still reaching out to reason with his supporters. We can be unwavering in our commitment to racial equality while still breaking bread with the same racist people who’ve oppressed us. I know it can be done because I had no choice but to do it, and it is the reason I am where I am today.

When you grow up in the middle, you see that life is more in the middle than it is on the sides. The majority of people are in the middle, the margin of victory is almost always in the middle, and very often the truth is there as well, waiting for us.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
a special lol @ the last paragraph

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

what the gently caress is your problem with lincoln chafee I will fight you

(this was an actual graphic put out by his "campaign" like c'mon how can you hate on that)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

good thing the country just spent 8 years proving that the golden mean is an empty goal undermined by constant repetitive absurdity and lying

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MizPiz posted:

It did. The moron justly died, alone.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I just realized that Into the Wild and Wild are different things, and was thinking that all these summaries sounded really dark for a Reese Witherspoon movie.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Jesus, Trevor Noah sucks. No, dude, no one expects you to be funny Rachel Maddow, but we would expect you to tell the goddamn truth. Not our fault the truth is liberally biased.

The idea that he would sacrifice objectivity for the sake of some mushy middle bullshit makes him an unworthy successor to Jon Stewart.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus, Trevor Noah sucks. No, dude, no one expects you to be funny Rachel Maddow, but we would expect you to tell the goddamn truth. Not our fault the truth is liberally biased.

The idea that he would sacrifice objectivity for the sake of some mushy middle bullshit makes him an unworthy successor to Jon Stewart.

im a right wing nutbar and i always respected stewart's reporting / editorials

Serf
May 5, 2011

more like Trevor NO-ah

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/805924678153936900

ok sure whatever gently caress it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Trevor, I had such a higher opinion of you after that Tomi Lahren interview and then...this.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can find interviews with Jon Stewart saying the same sort of poo poo, that we need to be conciliatory with trump voters, and if you watch Noah's interview with Tomi Lahren you can see that Noah cares about the truth.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Biden would be cool by me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Goddamn that job needed to go to Samantha Bee.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
HRC 2024 she needs 4 more years to hike and so she doesn't have to run against an incumbent Trump because she knows she'd lose again and it would be v embarrassing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Sam Bee is a selfish poo poo who fought integration at her kids' school.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

I mean I'll vote for anyone genuinely electable at this point but I am really, desperately hoping that some young, forceful lefty talent steps up for 2020.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

The idea that apartheid taught him that you need to listen to the other side is bizarre and frightening. Yeah, they thought I was literally subhuman, but in the end we all got together and hell, we met in the middle and made things work!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Stewart comedy tree is rotten to its roots. Salt the earth.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

constantly posting the worst possible opinions has gotten pretty stale as a gimmick man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

• Locked thread