Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

anime was right posted:

i, a person knee loving deep in politics, could not articulate in three bullet points why hillary clinton wanted to run for president other than

she wanted to run for president
more obama, maybe

her messaging was trash. i dont think she was as bad of a candidate people think, but her campaign, overall, was not good.

Despite the fact that Hillary had a very favorable media presence she never managed to get a sound bite that had any policy proposal on it. Even trump had his talk about building a wall and changing the deals in soundbites. Hillary had nothing, because every time she had an opportunity, she basically said "read my website".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hillary got her chance. And you know what, she stepped up to the line and airballed it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vox Nihili posted:

it's....... really, really not odd to place the blame for losing on the candidate that lost.

You can find some nice hot takes in d&d about how it's not a presidential candidate's job to convince you to vote for them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Condiv posted:

hmm i wonder why hillary lost

hmm hmm

This was one of her big problems. Even if she actually cared about the platform, she would never actually answer a question lest she get sound bit.

I'm like, dude, you need sound bites at this point, so they can say something about you other than e-mails and leaks. We made fun of trump for "i'm gonna build a wall" but at least it told us something about him. Hillary deliberately chose not to allow herself to get sound bites.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pathos posted:

Here's an outstanding question I have:

Why the gently caress did Hillary pick Tim Kaine? Sure, I get that he's a nice guy and all that but he's not super enthusiasm-creating. Why did she not pick Sanders or loving SOMEONE that would have appealed to the Bernie people? Tim Kaine was the most "well, more of me!" choice there possibly could have been. I just do not understand it.

Thanks for this thread. It is beyond fascinating.

If you understand that Hillary basically considered this election a coronation for her, that she had no chance of losing, then you can pretty easily understand all her decisions.

She also is predisposed against populism in general personally and is chronically incapable of hiding that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baloogan posted:

You will not believe me, but when I saw Kaine for the first time I knew then more certain than the dawn that Kaine wasn't going to be VP.

We need a trump CMANO scenario, stat.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jonny 290 posted:

because it was her loving turn.

This pretty much explains her decision making.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

docbeard posted:

I'm pretty ambivalent toward Hillary these days, but goddamn does Robby Mook need to never be allowed to work anywhere where he is responsible for anything ever again.

Like, not even in charge of this McDonalds drive-thru, and speaking of which, can I get some fries that aren't like an hour old?

I think you have to take a lot of that with a grain of salt because most of the people being interviewed are trying to have careers and will be unlikely to attack people they think they will need. I'm about 40% of the way through shattered and it's really hard to believe that everything said about Mook is actually Mook and not a combination of Mook, Podesta, Abedin, etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think you're going to get a particularly insightful analysis of Hillary's campaign from an internal perspective less than 6 months after the election. You will get some juicy tidbits, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

docbeard posted:

Yeah, probably, but even before this book, I've never heard anything about Mook that has led me to suggest he had any business running a campaign. (Not that there's a wealth of actual good campaign managers on the left. Lord knows Bernie's folks were a bunch of clowns too.)

Bernie's campaign manager was a guy who ran a games+comics shop who'd helped Bernie on campaigns before.

I don't blame him so much- Bernie was at a huge disadvantage throughout the primary and I think his primary loss was inevitable, even though i think he could win the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

docbeard posted:

Yeah, and his other guy was an experienced Democratic Party operative (never mind that all his experience was on some of the worst Democratic defeats in recent memory).

Are there any actual good campaign managers out there?

I highly doubt that. Also even if there were, would you want to get on hillary's poo poo list?(she actually had one)

• Locked thread