Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796717089394401280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Atrios posted:

Primary Colors

I never had any opinion about whether Clinton or Sanders would be a better general election candidate. I think people are entitled to have opinions about that, of course, but a big warning bell for me was always people who had *strong* opinions about that. It's unknowable and there are arguments on both sides. Sanders lost. Some of his supporters were and are convinced that he would have won. I think that's silly. Maybe he would have! Who knows?

But Sanders lost the primary. Clinton won. Many of her supporters - and the people working for her - were strongly convinced of the same about their own candidate. That belief - right or wrong - had relevance during the primary. It really had no relevance for the general election. That battle was won, there was no need to keep fighting it. It did not matter whether Clinton was the better candidate, what mattered was making her win. She was the candidate. Continuing to be invested in the idea that she was the best candidate blinded people to ways in which she wasn't a perfect candidate (even if you believed that overall she was the best one). Maybe it was a hangover from 2008. They couldn't stop fighting the primary.

Some of the reasons she might not have been were unfair. Like, you know, sexism. Lots of Clinton supporters in 2008 told me privately (and some people here expressed it in the comments if I remember correctly) Obama couldn't win the general election because he was black. If true, also unfair! It could have been true, though it turns out it wasn't. Racism and sexism are horrible. We live in a horribly unjust and unfair society. Other largely unfair reasons Clinton had problems as a candidate included 25 years of "scandals" that mostly weren't and media treatment of the Clintons generally. Unfair!

But you can't wish unfair away, and you can't make it go away by screaming "unfair!" at it. If Sanders had been the candidate there would have been a lot of unfair things he would have had to deal with, as Obama, Kerry, and Gore did (that racism and misogyny are things which have to be dealt with makes Obama's and Clinton's situations more obscene and depressing, and, yes, more unfair, but no less real). Hell I concede even Mittens dealt with some unfair things. Yes, yes, they would have tried to make Sanders seem like commie-loving Stalinist. Unfair! The man just likes Scandinavia. Still he would have had to deal with that and everybody knew it.

A lot of us thought she would win. Including me! If you think the polls are bullshit you'd better have a good reason to think so, not just a gut feeling. It turns out the polls were bullshit in this election in a way they haven't been before. I'm not sure anyone will ever really know why, or if polls will ever be anything other than bullshit again.

Anyway, you go to an election with the candidate and electorate and the horrible unfairness of everything that you have. The key is to have a strategy for dealing with it. You get no extra points to compensate for the unfairness.

So many of the arguments for why voting patterns in the primary demonstrated that Clinton was the better candidate were transparent bullshit. They were transparent bullshit in part because the exact opposite arguments were made in 2008. I don't fault them for making those arguments to win the primary, I fault (some of them) for apparently actually believing those arguments. Performance in a partisan primary says almost nothing about how you will do in a general election. Bernie Sanders, Susan Sarandon, and the Berniebro army didn't lose the election, any more than voters who stayed home or Latinx voters who voted for Trump did. Clinton, the Clinton campaign, and the broader professional Clintonworld did. It was their job to win. They took on that responsibility. That might be horribly unfair, but that's the way it is.

http://www.eschatonblog.com/2016/11/primary-colors.html

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Nayak blamed the Comey letters for depressing turnout among Clinton supporters in large cities like Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Detroit after initial record early voting numbers.

But I thought we don't have early voting in PA?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

Regarding the media: about ten years ago I started to feel like the Daily Show/various liberal satire shows were doing more harm than good.

A lot of things that people should be angry about got cast for laughs - clips of politicians contradicting themselves should be pissing people off, but then the immediate cut away to Stewart mugging for the camera undercut that emotion immediately.

Without touching on how those shows have treated a lot of the country, that single phenomenon has done a lot of harm, and there are entire content farms filling people's social media feeds with this stuff now. As much as we talk about (and I have personally relished in laughing about) the RWM echo chamber, the liberal media has in many ways been worse - it's made people think a laugh and a share is doing something.

I think the problem is that people end up stewing in hate rather than righteous anger if they aren't laughing. See the right wing media. See certain corners of the online left as well.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

What isn't an echo chamber anymore?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Chuck loving Schumer is on board with Ellison dude. The Clintons are loving done. So are the Obama's to probably.

The Obamas are not done if they don't want to be. It's just staying involved for them is going to be the elder statesman party leader role and not, "We should be in the White House for eight more years!"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's very easy to attribute things to racism, isn't it? I bet those people won't double down on their positions at all.

This is an interesting thinkpeice:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/11/10/the-cinemax-theory-of-racism/

But there is only one other cable package available and it didn't contain the channels you wanted either. So your option was Cinemax or no TV at all. And half the population cut the cord. Next time nominate Netflix.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

The average citizen does not care about foreign wars except that they seem to consume resources many feel would be better spent domestically.

Source: I am a working class man living in rural hell and this is what everyone says

I think people saw the bloodlust after 9/11 that led to Iraq and assumed that was the default mode. A lot of people honestly thought that was all just responding to an attack on America, it's not the same thing as being in favor of interventions in general.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

you don't pay dues to be a member of the democratic party and yes it does not make sense to allow people from other parties vote in your party's primary, why would you ever allow that

Well, can you imagine a future where a party might nominate someone party loyalists love but independents hate, costing them the general? That would be a huge mistake. Better to nominate someone independents are also willing to get behind, which is why a fairly run primary that gives them a voice is a strength.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Can you imagine a future where a party nominate someone from a party they is a total Cruz poo poo show and members of another party vote for that guys to gently caress up the chances of a more charismatic guy?

Superdelegates to the rescue!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

It's also time liberals struck "white" out from their common lexicon of insults. "Such a white thing to do" or "white people problems" :jerkbag: or "white people haha am I right?", this isn't a white supremacy/white pride thing, people need to stop conflating ALL behaviors with race. The coastal elite have been making GBS threads on midwestern whites for ages now and you wonder why disadvantaged working class whites tune out democratic messaging? I'm not as good at communicating as others when it comes to politics but seriously it's bullshit to poo poo on "rednecks" or "hicks" or "white trash" and in the same sentence get pissy when lower class urban blacks are called "ghetto". It's all a form of classism. The DNC expected the Rust Belt to turn out for Hillary like good little Democrats then when they went to Trump in droves people get mad at them for all being racist/sexist hicks.

No matter what race we are, we're all getting hosed over together.

If I could collectively tell the left anything, it would be that institutional power might be necessary to make someone a racist, but anybody can be an rear end in a top hat.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Is the democratic leadership con artists? Cause it kind of seems like the only reliable skill they have is to convince people to trust them with money. The idea of wanting to hear more from Hillary Clinton feels like the idea of sending your third large payment to a Nigerian prince.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Nov 14, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

“After they drove the car into the ditch, made it as difficult as possible for us to pull it back, now they want the keys back,” Obama said of the GOP. “No! You can’t drive. We don’t want to have to go back into the ditch. We just got the car out.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/14/obama-mocks-gop-you-drove_n_576170.html

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/797817209187864576

this is a good thread to read, about the differences between the democratic and republican parties as organizations, and why democrats keep getting owned (sorry i dont know how to embed tweets)

No one expects the SA software just to make something easy for you.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jhanez posted:

No, I read the rest of what you wrote, which is the exact sort of thing that people have been saying about the Democrats for the past 10 years, as they've continued to defy expectations in the number of ways and the speed with which they choose to roll over. They appear to be so committed to procedural comity that they are definitely willing to pre-forego the filibuster because then, certainly, the republicans will see how right-thinking they are and stop all of this nonsense. Why would they? Why would you even bring up the idea of not using the filibuster after the last 8 years? Say the rest of it, we'll work with them if they come to us, and hold your goddamn cards to your chest instead of laying out your pair of 4s.

I think they are doing this so the Republicans don't nuclear option day one. I think if the GOP is smart they should just go ahead and do it anyway.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Peel posted:

sanders himself knows this and worked on his minority vote problems during the primary, but it wasn't feasible to turn something like that around in time

Slimy poo poo like trying to say he lied about attending civil rights protests didn't help.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It's going to turn out he's a robot built to serve Trump, that's why there was no birth certificate. We should have seen this coming.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

What Dems go further than Bernie helping out PoC though? He was iffy starting off the presidential campaign but by the end the campaign seems to have internalized a lot of the criticism into their platform. He was really poo poo in actually contacting black voters in particular, but I don't know what mainstream Dem policy planks he rejected.

I'm not saying Bernie is great or perfect, but I'm confused with what other Dems do better.

He was never like, hated by black voters during the primary or anything. Hillary just ran a better campaign with them. She's not totally incompetent.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I really wish someone had seriously asked me this during the campaign. I did not appreciate being totally loving shocked by these results. I look back at my comments in various places as the election went on and realize I seem to have known everything that was wrong with Clinton, I just assumed from the polls that everybody else didn't know or was looking the other way because Trump sucks so much. Oops. It really feels like a bunch of voters just decided to play a prank on Hillary and the media.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Biden failed in multiple primary runs before. I think he may have just not wanted to go through that again, especially when he was probably just fine with Hillary carrying on the Obama legacy.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Public position: Needs more study.

Private position:

quote:

URSULA BURNS: So long means thumbs up, short means thumbs down; or long means I support, short means I don’t. I’m going to start with — I’m going to give you about ten long-shorts.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Even if you could make money on a short, you can’t answer short.

URSULA BURNS: You can answer short, but you got to be careful about letting anybody else know that. They will bet against you. So legalization of pot?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Short in all senses of the word.

http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2016/10/clinton-gave-thumbs-down-to-legal-marijuana-leak-shows/

Also looks like Wikileaks may have been compromised ever since Assange went dark in October. Someone may have not liked their election being messed with.

e: or it's just a mistake from wikileaks.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Nov 15, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Goon political podcast sounds worse than Giuliani on MTP.

Unless they got Giuliani to come on. That I would listen to.

Hopefully something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_gy7-bOoo

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Pelosi is basicly the politician Hillary fans pretend Hillary is. A liberal champion who can also do pragmatic realpolitik dealmaking when it's in the best interests of the people or the party. If she fell flat on her face with failure and flawed decision making as many times as Clinton has she would be regarded the same way, but she, you know, doesn't. People always try to paint anti-Clintonism as anti-pragmatism...but what the gently caress was actually pragmatic about Hillary Clinton?

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 08:46 on Dec 7, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Not in the least, except for our ability to pay the interest on it. American debt is regarded as one of the safest stores of value on the planet and treasury bills are frequently held as secondary cash by private and public entities. American debt is in high demand because we always, always, ALWAYS pay the interest on it and no one ever expects us to default, meaning American debt is accepted as value without having to go through the process of redeeming it to the Treasury for cash.

Other nations can't use American debt as a weapon in a trade war because they have too much of it. If China were to destabilize the American economy by trying to cash in a bunch of debt at once, or some other equally dumb scenario, it would tank the global market and drag everyone else down with us. We are too big to fail. Everyone owns a little slice of American debt, because having American dollars or T-bills on hand to buy American goods (or engage in international trade with nations you don't trust as much) is super good, and hedging your own economy by holding American debt is super secure.

The debt is meaningless, insofar as the rest of the world can rely on us to keep paying it on a regular basis. Thats why tantrums over the debt ceiling are potentially so destructive.

E: Repeat to yourself over and over that The Government is Not a Business. The Government is Not a Business. The Government is Not a Business. And anyone who says it *should* be run like a business is assuredly full of poo poo and has no loving clue how anything works.

Second E: If you needed something that was going to keep its value in the long run and you had to choose between gold and American debt, you'd pick the debt. Gold isn't a security, its a commodity whose value fluctuates all over the place. T-bills have a guaranteed value at maturity and will expose you to a level of risk so low that the interest rate on T-bills is frequently referred to as the 'riskless rate'. It won't be much, and may even be negative, but its an absolute known, and entities are more than willing to lock in negative interest rates if they fear cash might fare even worse through inflation.

Like Bear Sterns or Enron, we are too big to fail...so we shall never fail.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It actually blows my mind that one can be in such a huff about Trump's *-isms while not being able to see that Clinton was just stirring the identity pot to her own ends. Both are very toxic and they feed off of each other.

I blame the BernieBros.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Really? Lies on the internet is what Hillary returns to speak out against? Not the rise of fascism and white supremacy in the United States? Not the plight of the working class and/or minorities? Internet lies!?!

She's still really upset about how Jonathan Capehart smeared Bernie.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I ran into this same issue in a discussion last week. It's an ongoing debate not just a primary issue. To a lot of Democrats there is no needed criminal justice reform beyond: Tell cops to be less racist. Body cameras. End private prisons.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

sanders' position was end federal prohibition, which is not very far from status quo since the federal government rarely enforces pot laws. it would have had a positive effect but he wasn't in favor of using the power of the federal government to compel states to stop criminalizing pot.

idk i feel like dems in general have not been very strong on weed and idk if it's a generational thing or what, even pretty progressive people won't just come out with "legalize it"

Nobody wants to compel the states to legalize, not even groups like NORML. I have no idea why that strawman always comes up..

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

b/c norml has a lot of libertarians who would object to that. as a progressive i feel no loyalty to State's Rights

So you would argue the feds should shut down the Colorado pot shops because state's rights to determine their own pot laws shouldn't be allowed? The medical marijuana clinics too of course.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

no, i would say that i do not care if the federal government selectively enforces laws so long as it is in service of progressive ends. rejecting the principle of state's rights doesn't mean that i want the federal troops occupying denver

Kind of sounds like you have nothing coherent to say about this at all and just stretched for a stupid way to slam Bernie.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I would argue first we have to end private prisons. There's too much money involved, especially when Corrcetions Corporation of America is donating fat checks to Democratic politicians.

Private prisons are bad but fixing them would solve basically none of the major problems with the criminal justice system. Mass incarceration predates them and would outlive them.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

i wasn't slamming bernie, but rather criticizing the party and pointing out that even if its left wing is not very strong on criminal justice reforms. honestly i have no idea how you can be a progressive and say "oh my god how could anyone possibly want the federal government to stop the state of louisiana from throwing thousands of young black men into barely habitable private prisons in a swamp, state's rights!!"

Because that's how our government works, states actually do have some rights. Not even a progressive Supreme Court would let you do this. We still have dry counties in this country.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

:yeah:

I wasn't saying we have to totally end private prisons first before anything. But rather we should worry about the influence that their money has when discussing the topic of legalization.

gently caress it's such an interlocked hosed up problem. It's a giant tangled ball of yarn. Where do you start unraveling it?

I think the first step is you have to stop criminalizing victimless crimes so people stop seeing the police as someone who is after them and instead see them as people who are after people who victimize them and their neighbors. Then, you have to reduce sentences drastically across the board and focus more on rehabilitation. Yes, even for violent criminals. This second part, of course, is not going to happen in our lifetimes because people are (for understandable reasons) scared shittless of violent crime. Fear, as pretty much always in politics, is the biggest obstacle.

Meanwhile, we nominate this lady instead:

quote:

URSULA BURNS: So long means thumbs up, short means thumbs down; or long means I support, short means I don't. I'm going to start with — I'm going to give you about ten long-shorts.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Even if you could make money on a short, you can't answer short.

URSULA BURNS: You can answer short, but you got to be careful about letting anybody else know that. They will bet against you. So legalization of pot?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Short in all senses of the word.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Phi230 posted:

obviously but industry growth = more exploitation of workers

and by exploitation of workers, I mean when drug cartels and other organizations, get more money and grow their operations, they'll keep getting more literal slaves in horrible working conditions to grow said coca or opium

like drat look at something as innocuous as oil. Shell turned the Niger Delta into a post-apocalyptic hellscape marked by child slavery, abysmal working conditions, et al

what do you think drug corporations are gonna do? And mind you, cartels ARE nothing more than drug corporations

Why is anyone taking this guy seriously?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Mirthless posted:

ironically I think most of the traditional republican field may have lost to hillary in a general

she wouldn't have been focusing so much of her campaign around how terrible her opponent was, and might have actually had a chance to express an ideal or two in front of a camera. The other GOP candidates didn't have a real message either so they wouldn't have been able to net the populists like Trump did.

Trump was a complete disaster that could have been beaten by just about anyone, using just about any strategy other than the one our candidate used.

Americans really do hate negative campaigning, as it turns out

IIRC, the polling during the primaries showed Trump was one of their weaker candidates against her in a general, for whatever that's worth.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, Jeb! was basicly the only Republican I think she would have beaten because Hillary v. Jeb! takes the anti-establishment and anti-dynasty feelings out of the picture. Instead, all that feeling got directed at Hillary.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The only people who are recovering economically are the 1%.

That's how trump was able to win. The faster you understand this the better we will all be.

To put it another way, average American:

Rich people:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

John McCain is a maverick.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If we're going to do a celebrity, we might as well make Jon Stewart do it. Seriously, we will have to hold his family hostage or something to make him, but he will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Condiv posted:

how is it that the thirdway dems, who supposedly care about racial justice way more than the left, still want to keep weed and other soft drugs illegal? don't they care about the massive amounts of PoC thrown in jail because of these substances? or the people who have their possessions stolen by police in the name of the war on drugs?

No.

• Locked thread