Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Harry Reid can gently caress off.

Nobody bought the Trump is a russian plant thing Harry. You can stop talking about Vlad.

lol Harry Reid delivered the goods in his state. Don't blame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Martin O'Malley can gently caress off

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SpaceGoku posted:

Aside from voting I've been completely disengaged from politics for a long time, but I'd get my knuckles bloody to toss the clintonites out on their asses. Hopefully there are other people who feel the same.

I already sent messages to any Democrats who represent me and the DNC.

We need to tell them they either acquiesce to Bernie or they will not have our support in the future.

It worked for the Tea Party and it can work for us.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Hey people, contact your representatives and let them know you won't vote for them unless Ellison is the DNC chairman.

The tea party took over the Republican party by being loud assholes. We can do the same. We need to tell the lobbyists to go gently caress off.

We can use social media to spread our message now, no need for regular advertisements.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Some/most rural communities view of government job as a hand out as much as a check just straight to their mail. The government sticking a whatever in the area just so people can have good jobs isn't going to be jobs people are proud of.

Look up the Tennessee Valley Authority.

it survived in TN of all places. Because people knew it did good work and gave people good jobs in rural America.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Why would you guys want to fight for Ellison to be DNC chairman? That's largely a fundraising role, and for Democrats that's going to mean sucking up to millionaires in NYC and SF to get a fraction of the resources the RNC has.

Ellison should be positioning himself for a run in 2020, and let Howard Dean try to work his magic as he did before. The last thing you guys should want is for Ellison to have Feinstein and Schumer on speed dial.

DWS already showed that if you control the purse strings, you control the party apparatus.

And if you control the party apparatus, you control the 2020 nomination.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Sylink posted:

Bernie also showed you can raise money and tell the millionaires to gently caress off.

Yep. #1 problem for the Democrats is they're credibility as looking out for the working class is shot among whites. You fix the fundraising apparatus, you fix the credibility issues.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Zoran posted:

1. We should do everything we can to marginalize deep-pocketed donors and build a sustainable, broad base of low-dollar donations.

2. The DNC could save a shitload of money by never buying another TV ad ever again.

This.

The deep pocket donors don't have the power now. The Republicans already made that ABUNDANTLY clear. The people have the power to shape the campaign narrative. We can get what we want if we ask for it loudly enough and make a fuss about not voting if they don't give it to us. And we want a populist party pushing for left wing ideals.

If the deep pocket donors want their social issues, they will have to acquiesce to our economic issues.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Maybe we do need big donors, but their interests have to take a back seat.

People still didn't learn anything from how Trump handles poo poo. We don't start by saying, well we need the big donors so let us just give Howard Dean (total centrist) a chance.

No, you tell the big donors to gently caress off and put a guy in charge that will get not easily give them concessions.

Where are they going to go, Trump's Republican party of white nationalism?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized how bad voter suppression is going to get

This is probably where the most activism will help.

Some organizations that help people navigate the voter ID laws are going to be needed.

Not much we can do about polling places though. It really is terrible how the Supreme Court struck down the Voting Rights Act and now the Republicans have full control, though...

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not really sure if LBJ would be welcome in the modern dems for his hawkishness and FDR wouldn't be welcome for that + being the physical representation of ultra rich power. Ultimately we can argue all day that what they accomplished was good and we need more of it but were going to need to accept that neither of these men would be considered acceptable candidates in 2016. Not talking racism here, just simply that their mentality of intervention and winning at all costs wouldn't be accepted.

And maybe that's the problem with the Democratic Party.

Donald J. Trump just gave the Republicans all three branches of government.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

going to say it again, bernie still wouldn't have won, because, despite the hill camp's claims to the contrary, he wasn't willing to lie

whatever sane and possibly doable thing bernie promised, trump would just promise bigger and crazier

I don't know if this would have worked for Donald Trump, though. Trump lying his rear end off didn't matter because Clinton was completely untrustworthy. But if he's up against a real honest politician with actual principals? Stuff might have mattered.

Zikan posted:

everyone needs to remember that beyond the presidential we need to prepare for the state and local elections as well because...

https://twitter.com/KStreetHipster/status/797250896619077632

:smithicide:

This is the most terrifying prospect I have ever faced while following American politics.

Holy gently caress.

comingafteryouall has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Nov 12, 2016

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I was thinking before I hope this time the gop can't blame the dems for loving over their base when nothing gets better. But gently caress it. I want the dems to go full scorched earth back. They declared war a long time ago it's time to actually fight it. Quote Cruz about 8 justice court has precedent until you pass out. Investigate voter suppression, ballot destruction, whatever for the election. Give Trump the full BENGHAZI circus

lol you need to have Congressional presence to do this.

And if we get that while Trump is still in power, if the Democrats aren't holding hearings into every single shady business deal then they deserve to be crushed into a fine dust.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Could the Dems help Trump pass his plan for getting lobbyists out?

I would feel very conflicted about this.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Raising the minimum wage is a good issue, but can't be the entirety of the economic policy for poor folks.

People don't want a minimum wage job, they want a GOOD job. Having a minimum wage job means you failed at life to most people.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I imagine the racist white block of any generation was very motivated to vote this election. More progressive and younger voters weren't.

Don't have anything to back that up.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

As if I needed any more proof that Hillary wasn't actually going to do anything as President. I guess she really did believe her Super Predator comments still?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Anyone remember that one article that came out before the election that compared different group's incomes from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc?

I've been googling and trying to find it but haven't been successful.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hilariously LTTP, but I couldn't post because I was at work. While we were on that topic of STEM vs Arts, I notice that a common argument for focusing near exclusively on STEM is because we are "falling behind" many countries in East Asian who do not. I recall while working at a University we had plenty of exchange students from all over the world. What stood out to me was how the East Asian students, especially the Chinese, were anti-social to the point where they didn't experience anything. They didn't bother mingling with others or learning about the people around them. This was a stark contrast to all the other exchange students. I feel that this connects with how so many Asian countries tend to be far behind other nations, especially Western in various social and political culture. Let's take Japan for example. The nation has been in economic crisis since the 90's. However, has since done basically jack poo poo about it. When "Abenomics" is seen as some type of rogue change in the field of government and economics, you know you lack ideas. I couldn't imagine a wave of political thinkers like Sanders or Warren coming from the country. It just isn't politics though, but business as well. Any nerd knows how backward Japanese business is. You have the same fossils running the show without much change or say from young blood. This has resulted in the country from dominating the electronic industry, and has lost footing, primarily to South Korea and America. In contrast, the Western world is filled with companies shaking things up, at least relatively. Google is notorious for a lot of their products starting off from hobbies created by their employees, Valve is pretty much a cooperative, Apple is always engaging innovations for the next big thing, Tesla is doing that on a much larger scale by taking insane risks that only mad people would do. I just don't see these type of things in Japanese businesses or politics, and certainly not in East Asian politics and businesses at large. Do you think these plans and ideas were inspired by people sticking their noses in a STEM book or possibly in philosophy, political, or social science classes? I'd guess the latter.

umm excuse me sir have you heard of the Nintendo NX? :smuggo:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Watched Bernie's speech.

I am afraid for his safety.

If Bernie died in any kind of foul play there would be riots everywhere

we would probably enter into a period of political violence like Colombia's La Violencia. The Republicans have already been planting the seeds of dehumanizing protesters and the other side...

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

turtle_07 posted:

Got off an introduction call with the Working Familys Party. Among other things, they're trying to form a tea party of the left. Hell yeah!

alright people let's get working on a design for a flag that says "kill the rich" that we can all hang on our flag poles.

Let's get some neo-sun-down towns where the rich can't be after dark but poors of all race, creed, religion, and ethnicity are welcome. You'll have to carry a bank statement with you at all times.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

found this one already made through google search

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

future civilizations that might be reading this post, i'm a homo sapien and my species loved money too much to stop baking the planet to death

:same:

people also really loved driving around big stupid trucks

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

i understand this but i don't want otherwise hopeful people to get suckered back into "well maybe if we raise more money, we can do better next time!!!"
that was never the problem. money didn't matter

ummm are you sure that we didn't just need more commercials of Trump saying outrageous things?

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approve this message.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

This is probably example 1,000,000,000,000 of the self indulgent outreach that people who already really like Hillary are the gently caress up but pushed away everyone else.

this should be in textbooks to explain why Hillary lost.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

She definitely knows what's right for gender sexuality and racial issues and she will gladly tell you as long as she gets credit for it. She's about as authentic as Hillary dabbing on Ellen tho

Yeah, Dunham is fine for my friends who are women that went to liberal arts colleges. She speaks truth to their issues and that's fine.

The Democrat's problem is a lack of a Mike Rowe figure advocating for a Democratic platform. I don't know how the Republicans got Mike Rowe on board their platform but that was a masterful move and I've seen people equating elitist suburbanites that hate the working class with all liberals when those people actually overwhelmingly vote Republican.

I've seen a couple of people say we should have some Christian leftists getting more prominent support in the party. If Tim Kaine came out and did nothing but talk about a populist Democratic platform built on Christian values I would be OK with him coming back out of the bunker.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

I told him this in the conference callllllllllllllllll ugh

I don't know if it would work since there are issues about which denominations talk about which issues, which denominations have more Democrats or Republicans, etc.

But it could help and Tim Kaine is good when he lets that part of his personality fly instead of trying to be an attack dog.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Al! posted:

what about lenin

Hell yeah, let's put together a heist to steal Peter Thiel's immortality secrets and use them to resurrect the only true leftist leaders.

tower time posted:

Hell, a huge part of labor I don't see anyone mention often unpaid internships. They drive down the price of labor, primarily benefit people who are already well-off enough to be able to work for long periods without pay, and have otherwise eliminated a lot of entry level positions at large companies. Move the Democrats toward banning unpaid internships in any for-profit situation and I bet that would motivate voters in the 18-30 range just as much as forgiveness of college debt.

This is a good idea, you should go to a meeting and start pushing that. The only problem could be non-profits.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

NumberLast posted:

Bring back Allende :smith:

I had to briefly read up on Allende to remember which military junta deposed him. All of that history starts to blend together unless you've been reading about it recently.

Please dear god don't let our democracy devolve into South American 20th century politics.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

tadashi posted:

What did the most recent ban on unpaid internships get? Just the concept that the internship has to be "educational" in order for it to be unpaid?

While we're on young people, I'd love to see a national cap on how college coaches can be compensated and pay college athletes at least work-study wages (outside of banning college sports other than for club sports reasons, but that will never happen).

Ok now this thread is starting to move into my domain.

NCAA sports is a really good thing that has been corrupted by advertising money, club sports have a different goal.

NCAA sports should be about demanding excellence from student-athletes and focused on teaching them life lessons. It's different than the classroom, emotions are higher and teamwork is really emphasized. Right now, the Division I level is focused on generating more ad revenue and everything else is taking a back seat, which is a shame. At the Division III level (non-scholarship), NCAA sports still work really well and provide a great opportunity to grow for tons of students.

So I'd agree with you about pay caps and compensation for student-athletes, but would totally fight you tooth and nail on banning sports other than club sports.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is always a funny argument for higher education

you know, when it properly belongs in a discussion about middle school or high school sports programs

lol sorry you weren't good at sports nerd.

poo poo has been part of higher education for a long rear end time now.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at LSU people can circumvent the school itself and directly donate to the foobaw team

i imagine it's the same for the other handful of actually profitable collegiate sport programs

the argument i hear mostly is that it "makes the school look more prestigious" which is a bit better than "lol they learn teamwork"

you being a tennis player explains a lot,

not every institution of higher learning gives out PhDs ya dumbass. it's not like being on a sports team precludes students from opening up intellectually, too. I already talked about the DI level being hosed up. but that's probably more of a symptom of undergraduate at large institutions not caring about the overall development of their students anyways, they're more diploma factories. the big D1 NCAA sports get away with emphasizing the athlete part and ignoring the student part sucks but isn't representative of the whole system, even if its the part that makes the money.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

this all sounds very fake

basically it's the sport you play if you aren't big enough for football and have a love for cocaine

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which is exactly what we're tolkien about here since it's in the context of college coaches bein paid more than the heads of their university's medical schools or deans of their universities or even the governors of their state while

but that's apparently ok since they learn the value of teamwork and emotions or some poo poo

uh it started with a dude saying he would get rid of any sports beyond club if he could, even though he knew that wouldn't happen. everybody agreed the way DI athletes are treated sucks and college coaches should have a pay cap.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Der Meister posted:

so the democrats want to retake the rustbelt and south by dismantling college football. accelerationism engaged.

but you see, we need to engage the working class by defending the intellectual purity of our institutions of higher learning that have 40,000 students

Venom Snake posted:

Had lunch with the leader of a group of generals/admirals that acted as surrogates for Hillary today. He was pissed about all the campaign gently caress ups and is looking to form an organization for high level officers to advocate for the progressive agenda. All of these liberal military establishment folk seem ready to back Bernie and his progressives so that's another win.

so you're saying we're getting a military coup?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

don't underestimate the power of football in the south

hillary could've won Alabama if she showed up to speak in Tuscaloosa in a houndstooth cap

honestly, we should be arguing for keeping up amiable international relations because of the Olympics. becoming too antagonistic and isolationist could put our nationalist dick measuring competition in danger!

too bad Trump won't have to deal with one until the end of his term though.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

the football players are labor

the NCAA/coaching staff are the capitalists

bam, easy way to relate to normal americans. just have some football players come out and tell their stories of being exploited, talk about "man, doesn't this story sound familiar to some of y'all? doesn't this sound like the health insurance company not giving aunt thelma that surgery she needed? doesn't this sound like your boss not giving you any time off?"

of course, many people will just talk about how the football players are getting a free education and should be grateful for their scholarships instead of whining.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Trump is reprehensible but was lawfully elected. There's not going to be any huge coup or anything against him because America respects institutions. The presidency came before him and the presidency will outlast him and the people acting hysterical (not in this thread, just in general) need to slow their roll. Tearing down the legitimacy of our government just because somebody you don't like was elected is a terrible long term plan.

Same with the faithless elector thing. I didn't vote for Trump and find him utterly reprehensible but I'd be one of the people rioting in the streets if they install somebody else as President.

yeah, but on the other hand there's a pretty big feeling that Trump made a mockery of the whole presidential process and is ready to attack people's civil rights. So let them freak out a bit it's a healthy reaction to this election.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

How stupid are the people of America, funding ISIS by buying oil from the Middle East? They want to behead you and you're sitting here giving them money to do it!

of course the answer would be to totally drill up every last drop of oil from the ocean/continental US instead of using green energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

but for real middle eastern terrorism wouldn't be a problem if we stopped buying oil from over there.

Pretty sure this is a point Obama made repeatedly though.

• Locked thread