Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Princess Di posted:

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama.

This is a bad faith argument. That is willfully ignoring the fact that Hillary was never going to reach those numbers since Obama was the first black president in the history of the United States. Now if Hillary's team believed they were going to do that, then that is yet another major gently caress up. Our turnout was very much in line with what is expected from a winning democratic candidate.

Also really? You are going to talk about 8 percent of the black vote when we make up 13 percent of the population when 63 percent of white men voted for Trump and of those that remained many didn't care for him but didn't find blatant racism disgusting enough to get them to vote against it?

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.

If we are going to acknowledge the rust belt's part in this, where is the admission that the poor descendants of steel workers did not do this alone?

Hillary did barely as well with black voters as John Kerry in 04', and did worse than Al Gore in 2000. Even if we just compare her to other white democrats her performance in that area wasn't anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

Willa Rogers is super cool and good and one of the few reasons I ever read D&D during that era.

I liked the post where she got probated for 30 days for telling the truth

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

tower time posted:

Also as long as anyone wants to talk worst CSPAM poster through this election, what about Whiskeyjuvenile and "$250,000 a year is middle class"

Ah, the guy who claims to hate neoliberalism but can't seem to stop concern trolling on its behalf

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

How is it possible to be this detached from reality

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Based Bernie.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the issue is not that america does not manufacture, its that less jobs are needed to do so

I'm sure this trend will in no way have utterly catastrophic results sometime down the line

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Puppet Master posted:

it already did and it is called 2016

You are definitely right but I"m afraid that poo poo's gonna get even worse unless we do something about it

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

nachos posted:

hahahahaha they did this with an infinity money advantage

that's JEB!uela for you

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

guillotine party

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Rastor posted:

I made the mistake of clicking through to the D&D Climate Change thread and now I'm afraid we're already past the point of no return

If anything this tells me we missed our chance by about 20 years

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

b..but... we gotta hear both sides...

The truth is always in the middle, and if there is no middle then by god we'll create one.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Phi230 posted:

no dude come on

you think a person having a meltdown about the implications of knee-jerk legalization without thoughtful regulation or further legislation actually wants to maintain the status quo? legalize everything imo but we have to be conscious of the ramifications of legalization and we have to address all the issues that cause mass incarceration

I'm pretty sure most people ITT agree on all that so I'm not sure who this is directed towards.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

logikv9 posted:

doing all of this will turn one independent who you need to make happy into one republican who will just say "no"

That depends on a lot of things, namely how strongly he/she feels about that particular issue, whether resisting pressure from other congressmen is worth maintaining ideological purity, among other things. Yeah some congressman might be completely unable to be swayed but I'm not convinced this is some hard and fast rule

You're framing this in a pretty fatalist way

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Majorian posted:

He's been saying, "The status quo is bad, but it's gotten better under me."
Well, for millions of Americans that's not necessarily true. Especially if you look at things like real wage growth.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Majorian posted:

Yeah there are. Some of them post in this very forum.:ssh:

I'm not seeing 'em.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Majorian posted:

This one was a beaut on D&D:

That's from over a month ago. You're acting like there's a huge surge of people acting outraged because Ellison brought up social justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Suckthemonkey posted:

Eventually, yes. But it could take a while. The 2008 meltdown was decades in the making.

"The economy" will probably be strong for at least the first couple years of Trump unless he really fucks up and starts a trade war or something (which I don't think will actually happen). People will keep getting hosed over, but they may get enough of the scraps to where they won't care enough for 2020.

The longest the US has gone between recessions is a little under 9 years, and we've already hit the 8 year mark. Trump will need a miracle to make it through his first term without a recession.

• Locked thread