Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to keep up appearances on this forum that everything was fine after being told that?

I believed it like an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strep Vote posted:

Well guess what? There is a problem. Part of the problem is YOU.

:smith:

Strep Vote posted:

. "Maybe people want you to listen to them?"

I am not dismissing this. I am here. Listening.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strep Vote posted:

Ok, good. That's it. There is no other step. There should be, but no one expects one. They just want that first thing to happen.

I guess what I'm getting at is "there is no what else"

The big problem is the left is going to need to go from the advising roll to the leading roll. You have a party desperate for leadership in it's darkest hour.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

How are your dwarves?

We captured a giant and a bronze colossus today. The colossus name was the Golden Nothing lmao

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

literally no one bought that they were gonna fight for a single loving thing on that platform

She never talked about it because the staff were scared theyd alienate voters hahahahahaahahahahahahahaha kill me

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kithkar posted:

Why is it the Obama era dems are a bunch of goddamn cowards?

We go high when they go low. Thats how LBJ got so much done right?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand alPaul posted:

I...err...what? Oh god why is she so bad at her job?

It wasn't her a lot of the times, she was just a push over in believing she needed to be polite instead of going all in on gently caress THE GOP ILL KILL EM ALL FOR YOU. You can't convince people you will be change if you act like a nice old lady

resar posted:

in a way yes he did

his enemies were pig fuckers resar

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyron posted:

well that sure loving worked, didn't it? we deserved trump.

No we don't

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She acted like a reptile in a skinsuit, approximating human speech patterns. The only time she seemed genuine was during the debates.

No she did not. She acted like a nice grandma which sucks. She should have acted like she did when she was first lady. "gently caress off I'm not making cookies"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hmm, is your grandma hot or cold blooded?

Well I am a snake

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

CELEBRITIES

im garbage and like lady gaga, lena dunham can gently caress off tho

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrmcd posted:

Like literally today I saw some bullshit on Facebook with the headline "Voting third party is the height of white privilege."

Glad to see we're getting a head start on not learning anything and thinking we can shame and insult people into voting for us.

both third parties suck poo poo. they don't get a free pass because hillary jobbed it. but she doesn't get a pass because of third parties

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gary Johnson voters helped her carry several states, lmao. This wasn't a total electoral blowout or popular Trump victory BECAUSE OF THIRD PARTIES

i didn't say it was. gary can suck my johnson either way

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

I think the one thing I'll really remember about these last few days was the one Clinton staffer on SA was playing hours and hours of DF in the last few moments of the campaign.

Thanks for the thread, it has made fascinating reading.

I did it because you can pause it any time. Handy asf imo

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is just weird as gently caress that you think third parties "don't get a pass" even though they were inconsequential to the outcome of this election.

Libertarians and greens loving blow and I don't care if they get 10 votes or 10 million votes.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I don't know if more youth employment in dem campaigns would mean more or less "YAASSSS QUEEEN" crap. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad slogan if we were applying it to people who are not 70 and super super white.

If she would have owned being a dark evil queen of death that would have been better than owning nothing.

Zo posted:

VS I just lurk cspam but your own countless number of disparaging posts, laced with hubris and arrogance, making GBS threads on any and all leftists not blindly drinking the Hillary koolaid made a lot of threads bad and over time i went from laughing at trump to hoping you'd lose, so i just hope you reflect on your own actions as well because while I'm just an rear end in a top hat you seem to actually want a good government.

If we don't rebuild me and my family are 100% hosed so this is my life now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I have to give you some modicum of credit for showing your face around here when 90% of the Hillfolk have completely disappeared. But also you are kind of part of the bad guys. Like in the Nuremberg Trials of the democratic party, I don't know if you get to claim following orders.

Everyone else has skipped town.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha 1 posted:

VS, is there anything you think the Clinton campaign did right during this campaign? In the primaries or general. I'm wondering if you think there was anything positive we can take away from this.

They were right in that democrats need minorities bigly or it's game over. The intentions a lot of plans behind a lot were good; the execution was loving atrocious. They made a semi-left platform as an olive branch then never talked about it once.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/796914768854519808

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

I had a conference call that talked about this today! I hope mook is sent out to sea on a raft!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zikan posted:

how likely is keith for dnc chair.

i'm writing out a spreadsheet of all the dnc committee members i can find contact info for so people can e-mail/call/write for keith should i keep going

DNC isn't prepared to put up any resistance right now. Most of my interaction right now with is with what little campaign people whove not fled and the VA/FL parties on rebuilding plans

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyron posted:

ya, i think i will ignore politics for a week and focus on self health and family, but this thread have been fantastic, it kind of serve as a sort of a calming tool that is not going panic mode. i wouldn't mind a politic forum where it more like a cobeart report and not a last week at john oliver of D&D.

One of the things keeping me sane is people liking this thread and my post. Christ these past few days have been nightmarish

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

Dear god is the DNC going to try and push for Cory Booker to be their next guy? Please no.

He is not going to be the next DNC chair. But I would worry about him because he's ~charming~

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

gently caress ACA, gently caress public option, gently caress mandates, gently caress subsidies. That poo poo is completely bust. Full single payer is what we should go after, if the GOP mercifully kills ACA.

Frances/Netherland type system is probably our best bet IMO since with the entirety of the ACA gone it's going to be a "build from the ground up" situation.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

What can Democrats offer rural Americans in towns where the only factory closed down 10 years ago? Stop loving talking about nebulous job retraining and college programs for one. Put some god drat jobs back in these towns. Build a government plant that assembles windmills with the goal of covering the county with windmills over the next 20 years. Build a government plant that makes solar panels, train up local people to install them, and have a goal to cover every roof in the area with free solar panels over the next 20 years. Build a government research lab, or maybe a government clinic that offers free healthcare to the county. Hire people from the local state colleges to be the researchers or doctors, and give all the procurement, HR, security, janitorial, accounting, and other support jobs to local people.

Michael Moore is an idiot if he thinks the solution to the death of rural America is propping it up with building factories. Bring back the CCC and put these people to work fixing our crumbling infrastructure. Offers ways to get these people a better life instead of dooming them to lovely factory work forever.

https://twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304

The amount of jobs lost to going overseas is going to be trivial compared to what automation will do. We already manufacture more than we ever have; it's just done with robots.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously it pisses me off when people suggest that we should lust for the days of when people died of ruined lungs and asbestos poisoning (but everyone had a job right?). We need to give these people a chance to enjoy the prosperity that others are getting to enjoy. Guaranteed minimum income. Programs to resettle people stuck in dead rural towns. Rebuilding of infrastructure. Bring them into the 21st Century; don't doom them to living in the 20th century forever.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Hey also wanna point this out: saying poo poo like "dooming them to factory work forever" when these millions of citizens were able to put food on the table and support their families with their factory labor is degrading as gently caress and is exactly why they think you don't give a single poo poo about them. It also happens to be why they just voted for a loving kamikaze president in the hopes he blows your poo poo the gently caress up.

Dude factory work is not kind to your body. It's not degrading to say we shouldn't be forcing people to ruin their health. There are plenty of ways we can help them that aren't trying to turn back the clock to pre-automation times. Part of the anger they feel comes from the fact that they know they are eating poo poo compared to how others are living and it pisses them off hence kamikaze president.

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyron posted:

i remember in the rural America thread in D&D someone's idea to save these people is to relocate the rural America population to megacities like in judge dreed. it may be a joke but knowing how out of touch neoliberals are, it may be someone being honest.

this was the 2nd idea i heard on D&D that week that involved relocating poor white people.

Offering people the ability to resettle because their town is quite literally dead is a good idea IMO. Iv driven through places in Southern VA that look like a loving fallout game.

Larry Parrish posted:

The CCC being restarted alone would be loving huge. And like the original CCC, you could pay them with two nickels to rub together as long as the housing and food and certifications from training are free too

A civil service program that offered military like benefits for doing work projects would be cool.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

loving really? Government run plants to build solar panels and windmills, or government run research labs and local clinics are gonna be asbestos filled hellholes? That's your loving retort to the federal government giving shat on poor people jobs?

These people don't want a slightly larger check to spend at Walmart #7918. They want a job they feel proud of, and they want to spend their paychecks at local businesses. Liberals have a giant list of things they want done from climate change action to research to improved healthcare. So why the gently caress shouldn't we slap a giant government facility into every one of these desperate counties to make massive amounts of jobs and do some loving good for mankind at the same time?

Many of those jobs are almost entirely automated and require training. I agree with you that it will need to be a federal program but I have no idea if it's even feasible to build a high tech manufacturing base out of nothing spread across rural America. You know why I talked about asbesto filled hell holes? Because low tech factory work employees a poo poo load of people (hence Chyna, Indonesia, ect) but it's not clean. Many of these jobs left America because of necessary enviro regs. I absolutely agree we need clinics, green energy, and all of that. I'm just worried that automation is going to make focusing on factories pointless.

Oh Snapple! posted:

she will absolutely ruin other peoples time because she is a clinton

Probably. Still I'm not going to sins of the father someone. If she proves to not be a shithead that will be good. If shes a poo poo head

Fiction posted:

Can't wait to help primary her lol

This

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Well "maybe we'll train you guys with some college degrees, and perhaps West Virginia will become a coding Mecca!" is a really loving stupid idea.

Besides that the current Democratic platform is "get a degree and move out" or "ignore them until they die in 30 years". These people are desperate for help and we can 100% help them without sacrificing a single loving thing that Democrats believe in.

Even if this election was a landslide, why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

It's not even about college in a lot places dude. Many rural area's have <30% or <40% High School graduation rates. It's not about making more coders. It's about giving people a good loving education they deserve to have.

Vox Nihili posted:

i mean if they just put her in a plum, safe seat (of course they would) it's not a +1, it's just a legacy handout to an untalented candidate that could have gone to someone with potential

Then she will get primaried. There is no love left for the Clintons. Even the establishment people here in D.C. are furious with them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiction posted:

never mind the Democrats aren't going to learn anything

If this is the attitude everyone on the left takes we are 100% hosed. Educate them. Make them need you. They are desperate for an answer right now.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/796947478893490177

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This is still really pissing me off because it's exactly why you idiots lost to the loving orange idiot king. I give you an idea to both help poor people who have been loving savaged by the capitalist class and also fight climate change / advance scientific research / help exploding healthcare costs and you loving hand wave it away.

These people are dealing with the only loving factory in town being gone for 15 loving years, and they've voted in the orange idiot king because at least he promised to punch you in the nose because he swears you caused this. Nebulous ideas about "giving people the education they deserve" isn't going to do jack poo poo for the dude who used to work in the factory but is now unemployed.

Building a factory there today - a factory built to the latest safety standards - sure beats the poo poo out of "well maybe we'll pay for half of your two year degree and just hope someone hires in your area".

Then build the factory, get them an education, and get them a better life. Stop acting so hostile when Iv made it absolutely clear I agree with you. Raising the high school graduation rate so it's not atrocious isn't a loving nebulous idea! We are going to need to train these people to work with green energy! Education in this country at the sub-college level is dire as gently caress right now and it's were rural people get hosed super hard.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're literally arguing that the government should relocate people according to the whims of the market, as if this was 1969 Saigon and industrial decay was the Viet Cong.

Offer. You read malice into what is an attempt to listen to what these peoples concerns are. I spent months campaigning in rural southern VA and one of peoples biggest concerns was that their kids couldn't afford to move away if they wanted

LmaoTheKid posted:

You just said you're ok with another Clinton being a +1 D in the house and she's married to a GS finance bro.

I said that if she got us a seat we didn't have. But your right that she would probably be kinda bad! Thing is I and everyone else in the party is desperate as gently caress!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

RACHET posted:

Fuckin lol, if we increase taxes dramatically on the rich that will hardly pay for poo poo. It will just prevent them from accumulating more wealth at a faster rate, so they become chip leaders at a slower rate and won't be able to influence others as much. Also so much of the business world is global now they can easily position their earnings and live in a country that won't tax their wealth. You would need a massive worldwide agreement to tax the rich and that will never ever happen.

Wall Street and Silicon generate nearly infinite wealth already. 10% of infinity is pretty big if we can actually get it and convince them if it all falls apart they will have nothing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cubey posted:

i already knew this. much like bernie's stance on nuclear energy, which i also hate.

We on the left are going to need to put anti-nuclear people through the wringer no matter how good they are because it's not justifiable in 2016 to be scared of nuclear plants. It's one of the few green solutions to powering cities were solar and wind cannot.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

Are you for loving real? Like, is this something you thought about at all? Is everyone in this party so far removed from reality that this is something you actually believe?

What? That I think these people are in dire straits and need help now? The four biggest topics I heard when I was campaigning (this was in 2012, mind.) in southern VA (which formerly had large amounts of low tech manufacturing).

1. Education is garbage. Schools closing constantly. Awful graduation rates. Nobody seems to have a future.

2. Dead towns were people cannot get out of because they just don't have the money. Parents sad that their kids cannot go live the life they want and are stuck living in the same house and place forever.

3. Previously you could graduate high school and get a job. That isn't the case anymore.

4. Infrastructure has completely fallen apart.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

Spoken like someone who has literally never once spoken to a factory worker.

Your not wrong. What I know about factory work is high tech stuff. I grew up in D.C. My family works for the government bureaucracy, defense companies, and tech. Out west they work in wild life preservation. I made this thread to look at why we lost and part of that is you had to many people like me who did not understand what life is really like on the bottom in rural midwest america.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Those towns are dead because they were abandoned by market forces, and your solution is to just push them into relocation. Why not bring in a government-run business which can give their community new purpose like Parsnip said?

Their kids want to go to a far away college and do what they want with their lives. We need to take care of the parents and the kids. The answer to "I want to live my life how I want it" is not "have a job in your home town, good luck". We can do lots of things at once I think.

crazy cloud posted:

*glowing orange fukushima kelp washes up on the west coast*

yeah stfu about nuclear power being garbage you hippie crystal huggers!! Black swan events like 7.0 earthquakes never happen so why plan for em lets just split them atoms

fukushima did like .01% of the damage coal and fracking do on a regular basis. we need some sort of solution and nuclear is excellent for powering cities that have large consistent power draw.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

Or, and this is going to sound insane, someone who's worked in a factory. Apparently to Venom Snake, that's akin to petting a unicorn. Something that literally cannot be imagined.

Venom Snake posted:

Your not wrong. What I know about factory work is high tech stuff. I grew up in D.C. My family works for the government bureaucracy, defense companies, and tech. Out west they work in wild life preservation. I made this thread to look at why we lost and part of that is you had to many people like me who did not understand what life is really like on the bottom in rural midwest america.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

And your loving answer is "Move away from your friends and family to the crowded coast where everything costs five times as much and there are ten times the people. Also you won't own your own home anymore or have local control over how your town is run. Also gently caress you you piece of poo poo."

Guess what? Those same people who didn't go to college and can't get a job where they are? They're still not going to be college educated in whatever overpriced apartment you stick them in on the coast and they're still not going to get a job that can support their now much higher cost of living.

That is not my answer. I know your not going to give me the benefit of the doubt but Iv tried to make it clear that we have to make their life better where they live AND allow them to do what they want with their lives. I'm not calling anyone pieces of poo poo.

From a meeting I literally had today:

quote:

We ignored them for to long and now they think we hate them and I can't say they don't deserve to feel betrayed. God help us all if the left doesn't step up. Were going to end up arguing about whose sincere while the world burns around us

People are terrified.

Vox Nihili posted:

it's cool man, we're all working through a lot of frustration right now

I'm 20 years old and I'm trying to get people who have spent their entire lives getting reamed to give us one more chance. It's heart breaking man.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

Is everything west of Philadelphia the goddamn Bikini Atoll where neolib policies dropped economic nukes and when we ask what you're going to do about the fallout the answer is "Move somewhere else"?

You are never going to read the post I made were I admitted I didn't know are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

I think your heart is in the right place and honestly the fact that you're only 20 puts into context a lot of the faith you had in Clinton (I mean that in the best way).

Iv loved politics since I was little. I grew up in the Capital adoring the cosmopolitan atmosphere. I'm a world apart from so many places in America which is why I'm praying the new leadership has some perspective and listens to people. My biggest worry is that they don't care anymore and are not going to actually believe we want them with us. Hell leading us even lol.

One of my favorite politicians grew up on a dirt farm in rural Texas. Another was from one of America's most powerful and wealthy families. It might make me an optimistic faux-leftists but Id like to think that Democratic Party can represent everyone's interests and that people can listen to each other. I believed in Clinton because I'm a dirty party establishment guy who just wants to run the government like it's actually meant to help people and that she would probably do that. Now me, my family, and the people who haven't fled the sinking ship yet are willing to back the progressive caucus for the same reason.

• Locked thread