Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Princess Di posted:

So when we talk about Hillary voters in the general election class,

You are talking about minorities. We voted for Hillary.

You are talking about women. We voted for Hillary.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hillary lost white women hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

im like one of the 10 ppl that got the nasty women tag and didnt toxx for hillary lol

:gethill::gethill:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mutant Standard posted:

i guess not then huh

call ur state DNC person and yell at them https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S7w8tvS0NWA3AX8JdFjZLLAW7f_S4hp2T3416ttjBtg/edit

otherwise there's an activism thread for like nonprofits and such if you wanna get into that

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zikan posted:

i agree with bernie and all and am heavily involved with the draft keith campaign.

but explicitly saying white working class instead of working class is not going to go down well with some of the people we need to win over in the democratic coalition

it's notable because specifically the white working class was his strongest base of support in the primaries, which shills everywhere used to call him a racist and then that whole group decided the election when they stayed home or crossed over to Trump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

Why do people think Starbucks is only a coastal elite thing? I live in Louisiana and we got like 10 in my city. My racist rear end aunties go to starbucks all the time.

Look, we gotta acknowledge that racism and sexism played a huge part in this election. Now, to a lot of people this election wasn't about that ... there's a lot of white people who just kinda compartmentalized that part of the Trump campaign. They just kinda shrugged it off or thought he was pandering, but they still thought, in the end, it was ok to vote for a guy who went out and said a bunch of racist poo poo and empowered Nazis. Not to mention the sexual assault poo poo. It's no wonder a lot of Democrats - especially PoC and Women Democrats - saw this election through that frame and are despairing about it.

Now when people com along and say "Dems gotta talk to White Working Class Voters" you can see the pushback. They're afraid of being abandoned, of anti-racism being thrown to the wayside to chase a bunch of racists.

The people who see this election this way aren't just a bunch of dumbass bubble coastal elites. They're just normal people who saw this election as a referendum on racism/sexism that they lost. They need to be reassured that they're still the core of the Democratic Party, that we'll still fight for their rights, and a lot of Trump's voters aren't lost causes or actively racist, just... ignorant.

thats easy: just say Working Class instead of White Working Class. minorities make up much more of the working class than white people do and the dems took their votes for granted so much that a ton of them didn't bother voting this election. The rust belt has a lot of black workers that have also seen their livelihoods decline, though they have faced unique racial issues as well that we should continue doing work on

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

You know, there's nothing wrong with criticizing free college as not going far enough. I mean blatantly trying to judo it like Hillary did was dumb, but we can critique it.

Black people can say "yeah I can get free college, but I'm still less likely to get a job than a white person with less qualifications." And they can say "I can get an education, but that won't stop a cop from unjustly shooting me and getting away with it."

But it's also not going to help a lot of white voters who feel "I got a high school degree, that should be good enough for a high paying job" or whatnot?

... It's a little unfair, sorry. I don't mean to do that. I do mean to say that it's not unreasonable for PoC to look at Bernie's platform and be like "okay, what else you got?" Maybe it would've been enough to stave off the collapse in the Rust Belt, but it definitely left a lot of people feeling cold.

That's cool. Bernie doesn't have to be everything for everyone and we can take his vision and move forward with it, combining it with other parts of the dem platform and appealing to a bigger tent.

free college is meaningless as long as primary school is loving worthless in 90% of the country

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i was gonna make a joke about the florida democratic party having been swallowed by a sinkhole but apparently they've got an office with contact info listed for every county in the state :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

http://www.floridadems.org/our-party/counties

i've got a lot of phone numbers to call (assuming any of these are actually valid)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Nah but I would legit marry Abbi from Broad City reformed hillbot or no.

:tutbutt:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Where does the party go in a presidential election where their candidate is already coming out of this with a million more votes than her opponent in growing? Hopefully, not too far. And, anyone purposefully trying advocate for some huge shift is likely someone trying to re-fight a primary they couldn’t win because their guy could not attract the diverse coalition that is the Democratic Party. If they try this coup, it’ll be beaten back, again.

Trump was a unique candidate who managed to rearrange things just enough to win a unique election. The worst thing Dems could do is overreact to this. The GOP still needs to soul search and figure out why they allowed this. If we need to do anything it’s make sure we’re turning out our base better, which has ALWAYS been a problem with Democrats.

No, we are not going to hang ourselves for not doing enough to attract racist white people with illegitimate persecution complexes. The biggest lie anyone could tell is that this was about legitimate economic anxiety. And, for people who don’t live here this stereotyping of the “Rustbelt” as some economic hellscape is ridiculous when you look at the recovery since the recession. What these voters wanted to hear was a racist, xenophobic appeal, and that is not something we could offer or ever desire to offer them.

It’s not about the economy, stupid. It’s about a group of people who routinely prize their privilege above ALL else. Period. We don’t get those voters. We don’t want to get those voters. We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

source your quotes

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

bump_fn posted:

im a big dumb idiot why is free college racist

is it just that it would serve white people more than under-served minorities?

the best I can guess is that since majority-minority primary schools already heavily underperform and most of their students already don't even graduate high school it wouldn't do them much good

which, like, that's also something that needs to be fixed, but it's much harder. free college is easy and the standard in much of the world

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Also any education reform should involve tuition not only for college but for (legit) trade schools.

Also provide better incentives for people who take up trades or degrees that actually matter for the country. We need STEM degrees, not an army of liberal arts media studies with film minors.

liberal arts degrees :jerkbag:

you're gonna have to try harder

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're saying there should be more word problems?

yes, unironically

the most effective teacher I ever had was my precalculus teacher in highschool because every problem was some insane paragraph about how your boat has sunk offshore and you need to swim back to get to pizza hut and it's at an angle but you run faster than you can swim or something. giving someone a reason to solve a problem or just making it at all interesting is much more useful than making kids memorize tables and theorems

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

personally I think teaching Shakespeare to kids in English is pointless unless you're specifically studying the evolution of words because it's a completely fuckin different language

I had to read Macbeth three loving times

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the only reason I know what a direct object is is because I studied german in college. what the hell is the purpose of primary school english

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm a stem student at a bad state university and all my classmates save like two are insufferable boners who can't talk to people without the use of memes and watch anime or video game streams during lectures, and all my actual friends are in what you'd call "liberal arts"

stem superiority kids are the worst and they should be shunned

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

children should be forced to read more Kafka, to better prepare them for the pointless and arbitrary cruelty of the real world

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Concordat posted:

Is it actually impossible to do manufacturing in the US nowadays? I assume the primary problem is that countries with no worker protection laws, minimum wages, etc, can produce products for far cheaper by spending less on labor. The only way I could see to "fix" this problem would be to impose tariffs on products from countries where this occurs, with the promise to lift said tariffs when said countries enact worker protections, but that only helps native industries compete within the country, not internationally.

Also this causes trade wars, doesn't it?

Tell me why I'm and idiot and how economics is bullshit black magic.

Germany does plenty of manufacturing
They also have very strong union traditions

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I live in a fairly big city, do I looked up my local Dem party and saw they had a meeting in a few days (today). It's worded as an "Executive Board" meeting, but they have it every month with nothing else on the schedule so I figured that was just their normal meeting. Wanting to be sure, sent an email to their info@ address. No response after 3 days. Gee, I wonder why these groups are having trouble bringing in new blood!

this sounds like my local party (Hillsborough county in Florida), I signed up for the mailing list on their website and got an email two days later inviting me to the executive something meeting and another email with a volunteer sign up form, so it seems like they've actually got their poo poo together

they also told me they were being flooded with new recruits so it might just take em a while to get back to you

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure Ann Coulter was literally doing that on election day

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the whole campaign we were laughing about how inept and dysfunctional the Trump campaign appeared

and then this stuff about the Clinton camp just keeps coming out Jesus Christ

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm still really surprised that dril tweet wasn't made into the CSPAM background the day after the election

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i feel like it would be vastly more helpful and productive to turn the democratic party into something besides a black hole for rich liberals' money, such as an actual workers' party
so gently caress david brock he can take his cash and eat it while the world melts

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

none of those people want a helpful and productive actual workers party

i understand this but i don't want otherwise hopeful people to get suckered back into "well maybe if we raise more money, we can do better next time!!!"
that was never the problem. money didn't matter

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

skylined! posted:

Me too. My new theory is that the moment it was clear trump won they were all raptured.

this does explain why many of the local party websites last updated the monday before the election...

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

tower time posted:

Hell, a huge part of labor I don't see anyone mention often unpaid internships. They drive down the price of labor, primarily benefit people who are already well-off enough to be able to work for long periods without pay, and have otherwise eliminated a lot of entry level positions at large companies. Move the Democrats toward banning unpaid internships in any for-profit situation and I bet that would motivate voters in the 18-30 range just as much as forgiveness of college debt.

a significant amount of the government especially at the local level relies on unpaid internships to function so this won't ever happen unfortunately

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is really hosed up that university presidents and football coaches are the highest paid public employees in nearly every state but athletes get nothing besides a scholarship that'll be worth a lot less if we ever actually institute free college

not to mention the hilarious ratio of administrators and support staff to actual instructors at most schools and grad assistants being hideously underpaid almost everywhere among like a dozen other things why is college so busted

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

wtf even is lacrosse

i'm not googling it

it's hockey if you played hockey with a cartoon bug catching net like spongebob

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

hosed up that the NFL gets a free minor league of unpaid interns and they all have to pretend to go to school while they do it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

don't underestimate the power of football in the south

hillary could've won Alabama if she showed up to speak in Tuscaloosa in a houndstooth cap

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Thoguh posted:

Woulda lost the Auburn vote.

can't win em all

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

"climate change makes the world unsafe" doesn't seem like too hard of a slogan

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Any slogan where you are reminding people of problems without offering solutions, however trite, is not a good slogan.

ok then just say the inverse, "green energy makes you safer"

idk I'm not a marketing consultant

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you would also need to get everyone else in the world to do that and that's basically impossible if they don't have any energy alternatives

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

his loving name was Mook

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Yea. I'm not sure how you target one while still allowing another one. Would it be as simple as saying news sites who identify themselves as parody, through some means, are allowed. But News sites identifying themselves as "real" would be subject to scrutiny and fact checking? What about editorials? What about reports of police brutality which often have precious few corroborative sources. Basically how do you be actually "fair and balanced" instead of just censoring content?

facebook used to have human editors that would verify trending stories before approving them, but they were accused of liberal bias (because reality has a liberal bias) and fired all their editors and replaced them with a computer that does no fact-checking

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah we all collectively stopped talking about flint because 1) environmental health crises are boring, and 2) they already had a primary debate there that should be good enough for those people

hillary couldn't even pretend to give a poo poo about human suffering and neither could the national media

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and now their kids are all gonna be retarded or imprisoned from impulsive crimes

flint has been hosed up for over 2 years this was gonna happen anyway

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I think Obama tried very hard to stay away from any "controversial" black issues for his entire term of office, and the Flint water crisis was apparently one of them.

You'd think the first black president would have actually done something with all these civil rights protests and everything, but nope, total silence from the white house for the overwhelming majority of the time the protests have been running

conservatives blame him for all of the protests anyway so I don't know what the gently caress he thought he was accomplishing

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Are you seriously going to try and claim that Hillary was actively oblivious to any economic problems being faced by people in the rust belt, and not a single one of her plans and policies had anything to do with helping these towns? Or is this just the return of "Well she didn't really MEAN it" fallacy?

hello, please tell me two of her plans and policies that would have positively affected dying factory towns without checking her campaign website tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Opiod addiction focus and rehabilitation to affect poverty cycles, and heavily subsidizing green energy factories in those same towns to manufacture lithium batteries, solar panels, windmills, and so on.

Oh, I'm sorry, was this supposed to be some dumbass rhetorical question because you were so sure these things couldn't exist?

maybe she should have tried telling anybody about these policies because it's the first i've heard of them

• Locked thread