Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Typo posted:

as it turns out the people who were for citizens united might have had a point

Goldman Sachs being associated with Clinton probably dropped her # of votes more than any number of ads their $$$ bought her

The presidency is a different story than other races though. Even if you never see a single ad you still are exposed via news coverage and your peers talking about it. Being able to drop $1,000,000 in to Statehouse District 3 when their opponent is running on a $20k total budget is where it fucks poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comingafteryouall posted:

This.

The deep pocket donors don't have the power now. The Republicans already made that ABUNDANTLY clear. The people have the power to shape the campaign narrative. We can get what we want if we ask for it loudly enough and make a fuss about not voting if they don't give it to us. And we want a populist party pushing for left wing ideals.

If the deep pocket donors want their social issues, they will have to acquiesce to our economic issues.

The republicans control just about every statehouse and governorship. The deep pocket donors absolutely still have the power.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Have their been any pieces written yet from reporters in Hillary's press pool about Hillary and her inner circle on Tuesday evening, especially the time between the results started coming in and when she sent Podesta out to clear out the party? Or similar pieces from Trump's camp?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Phi230 posted:

We need shitposts now more than ever youre acting like a total schlemiel

People like A Winner is Jew, Zoux, Al!, and the mods who enabled them were insufferable assholes who chased out every non-terrible poster in this forum (also protip: if a D&D poster says somebody is a good poster that actually means they are a terrible poster). I'm proud of him for owning up to it so don't take this as a current attack on him but don't encourage him to start back up again.

Free Matey.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Nov 11, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DaveWoo posted:

You're a good poster, Thoguh.

Well, poo poo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That's from June 14th when it looked like Newt might be the VP pick.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MJ12 posted:

I think you're underselling and overselling some things here. They need to be told they're wrong because we're running a very suboptimal coalition that is highly dependent on whims and an inspiring charismatic candidate to do well. It's not a doomed coalition which will never have relevance. Had just a little more gone right for Clinton or a little more gone wrong for Trump it could have won. In 20 years or so, this majority-minority coalition is probably going to be a force to be reckoned with. But that's 20 years from now, and a 50/50 chance is a bad chance when that's a 50% chance of loving a lot of people over.

You're focusing on one office though. To regain statehouses and governorships the Democratic party needs a lot more than a face-lift. If a little more had gone Hillary's way the Republicans would still control both houses as well as most statehouses and most governorships. It has to be totally rebuilt away from third way is and identity politics.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Princess Di posted:

Omg.

No not all Clinton voters loved Hamilton and what's wrong with memeing Clinton when Bernie memes reigned supreme on the Internet as did Trump memes.

Memes spring from shitposts, not focus groups.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

What the gently caress is going on with the vein in that dude's arm?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I know some people think Bernie is bending the knee but I see him as challenging Trump to uphold the populist part of his campaign promises and setting the Bernie wing of the party up to be an opposition party if he doesn't. He's not giving in, he's setting himself up to do good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zythrst posted:

Look we certainly need massive electoral reforms and I think abolishing the EC is on the list, but not the top of it. First we need automatic 18 year old registration, then Voting Day Hollida, then RCV or an even better system, maybe then we get to the EC. Besides are you really sure there are more Texas Democrats not voting then California and New York Republicans?

Making election day a national holiday is a feel good idea that won't fix anything because the only people that would get the day off are already able to vote without to many problems.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also ditching the electoral college is never going to happen. All that does is attempt to change the system to allow the Democrats to succeed in the presidential election despite being solely a party of coastal elites. You'd be asking almost every state that doesn't have a huge population to vote against their own interests to ditch it. And it wouldn't do anything to fix the fact that Republicans control almost every statehouse, almost every governorship, a majority of the house, and a majority of the Senate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I mean, that basically is the premise behind a certain brand of feminism that Hillary represented. Not dismantling the old boys club, just making sure it is diverse and women also can stomp people under their bootheals.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Part of why she was such a bogeyman for the old boys. They wouldn't be having fun at all when it was turned into an old girls club

Huh? The old boys club loved her.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pick posted:

No one ever explained to working class America why immigration is good, economically.

Equating all immigration is part of the problem. poo poo like 'most US Nobel Prize winners are immigrants!' rings hollow because all but a small group of super racists want to completely shut the borders to any type of immigration. Bringing in smart and successful people who go through the process isn't what a working class person is opposed to. They're opposed to having competition for the dwindling number of low skill jobs from people who accept terrible pay and working conditions because they are even more desperate than everybody else.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fullhouse posted:

so allow workers to file labor complaints regardless of their residence status and that all goes away, and you still have a hard-working labor class who, as a reminder, commit LESS crimes than native-born citizens (https://www.americanimmigrationcoun...campaign=Buffer) and actually NOTICEABLY REDUCE crime rates in communities that have high numbers of recent immigrants moving in (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10940-013-9210-5)

why did nobody ever bother to bring this up during the 18 months of campaigning that painted all immigrants as violent rapists? who loving knows

Crime stats are lower in communities that are terrified of being noticed by authorities? Huh.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Nov 12, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pick posted:

Right, but the left never explained the pro/cons except that we're a nation of immigrants and everyone deserves a chance at America's (long-dead) Square Deal.

You can't reconcile a message of 'The unskilled labor jobs are gone, deal with it' and 'we need to bring in a bunch of unskilled labor to compete with you because they deserve a chance and if you don't like it you are a racist'. You're asking people to not only vote against their own self interest, but your doing it in a condescending manner.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zikan posted:

lol Hillary's final mistake will be to get the Democratic Party so mad at her that they go "full communism now" out of spite for the Clinton era

Final gift, I think you mean.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mods, please change the thread title to 'This thread kills fascists.' TIA.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

jackofarcades posted:

Dems need to co-opt the Trump "rigged" message and the Drain the Swamp poo poo.

Uh...

Trump coopted that from Bernie.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comingafteryouall posted:

Could the Dems help Trump pass his plan for getting lobbyists out?

I would feel very conflicted about this.

I wouldn't.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Thanks, anonymous mod.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If Mitt Romney was an actual CTR shill and not just a dedicated Hillary supporter we should all be excited that this dead gay comedy forum was worth an investment from ol' David Brock. We're still relevant on the Internet, guys and gals!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We don't even know what Trump's agenda is actually going to be. Until stuff actually starts coming up there's no reason not to do follow what Bernie did and basically dare Trump to follow through on the good parts of his platform while promising to resist the bad things.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Like, Trump just went on TV yesterday and said Gay Marriage was the settled law of the land and he was okay with that. He's a big egotistical baby who was a Democrat until a couple of years ago. I don't think he's going to turn in to a secret democrat while he's in office or anything (his cabinet picks make that clear) but there's positive stuff that could probably get through as long as they don't turn everything in to a standoff.

Save the standoffs for the terrible poo poo that'll surely be coming out of the House. Don't just resist everything as a gently caress you to Trump.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HannibalBarca posted:

do i even have to say it at this point

Didn't some of the emails from Podesta show that they encouraged the media to treat Trump seriously in order to make Rubio and others take more extreme positions and weaken them for the general?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr. Jive posted:

I hope someone can quantify this someday but Trump wasn't given a free pass at all. He made so many gaffes and scandals that people stopped caring.

Recall that Dean Banquet, executive editor of the NYT, publicly said he would be willing to face jail time for publishing Trump's tax returns in order to sink his campaign.

Also the Clinton camp had a talent for needlessly drawing stuff as they attempted to minimize it. How many times over the past year did something come out and Hillary first denied it and then eventually had to admit to whatever it was but went on the offensive to claim it wasn't a big deal. Hell, look at the Donna Brazile giving her questions thing. That was needlessly drawn out and the fact that they were caught lieing about it just reinforced all the negative beliefs people have about Hillary.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Clinton got more scandal coverage only in the sense that they proportionally got more coverage compared to how much they were really scandals. The loving emails kept coming back like herpes and poor it practice was being put side by side with breaking the Cuba embargo.

What if all those nothingburgers were in fact burgers to everyone outside the Clinton bubble? Sure a lot of them were tiny White Castle sliders but when your response to real scandals is to lie and cover poo poo up then it becomes easy to assume that you're lieing and covering poo poo up whenever they hear about something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

So many people I know assumed that things were nothingburgers because everyone in their (also 100% pro-Clinton) circles treated them that way and paid no more attention to it

SEE: the Goldman Sachs speeches, by the time they were leaked the specter of Trump had eradicated all dissent on the left, and the right honestly didn't give a poo poo about the speeches, so therefore the speeches were nothing special, the fact that reading them made me want to puke notwithstanding

Pretty much the same as the Podesta emails. Nothing earth shattering and nothing that someone voting Trump would care about, or anything that would make someone switch to Trump. But a lot of stuff that probably made independents decide to stay home or vote third party because they confirmed a lot of the stuff that had been assumed but shouted down earlier.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mrmcd posted:

Could we maybe agree that Russia did hack those emails, they were nothingburgers, and Clinton also hosed up?

I'm with you on the first part and last parts. But not the middle.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grondoth posted:

I don't want to hear nothingburger ever again

It's on the same level as using the word "optics" unironically.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Majorian posted:

What parts of them were particularly revealing? That the DNC put its thumb on the scale in the primary (stupidly, since it didn't really need to), and DWS and her clique didn't like Sanders?

loquacius posted:

They were a confirmation of things I had suspected but could not prove and was routinely called sexist etc for suggesting

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Surely people who think the system is rigged will consider it inconsequential when they get confirmation the system is rigged. Surely. And there's no way Trump could use proof of the Clinton's rigging something to rile up his base, who think the Clintons rig things.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peel posted:

it chills me a little to consider but i do wonder if schumer is also motivated by the fact that trump's camp and movement is rife with antisemitism

Come the gently caress on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah in fairness it's really more of a Palace Coup than a civil war. We were just... really EXPECTING there to be any resistance whatsoever you know?

I'd wait a few months before claiming victory there. A lot of connected people are licking their wounds right now and/or symbolically jumping on the bandwagon with the hope stuff dies down shortly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't understand how you can lose with guys like this by your side.

I legit hope their books get opened though. We need the Mitt Romney truth.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Ugh I had managed to forget that David Brock existed until just now, thanks a lot jerks

Payback for this

loquacius posted:

An interesting inversion of my main thesis, but not ultimately contradictory with it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

I'm in a meeting and can't watch this now summary pls

Right now its a weird zoomed out cut of multiple news people talking to cameras. Which is weird to watch.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Obama roasting Trump here with subtext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol obama politely dumping on clinton campaign here

Shoulda used Wisconsin. She did come to Iowa, even chilled in Cedar Rapids.

• Locked thread